Randomness - vol. IV

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Sep 2010, 09:32

Kalah wrote:Norwegian vikings didn't go to Denmark much to pillage; mostly to the British isles and northern France. Also the Baltic states. And there were no horns on the helmets. :tongue:
Yeah, but they weren't on a budget.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Sep 2010, 19:18

Kalah wrote:And there were no horns on the helmets. :tongue:
Really? I know they weren't on helmets using in battles/voyages but what about ceremonial, leaders' or burial helmets? Did they all were hornless?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Sep 2010, 20:26

There have been very few viking helmets found, but they all were hornless. Most depictions of helmets from the time are also hornless, but there some very few that has some strange horns with birds' heads on them.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Sep 2010, 21:21

Gaidal Cain wrote:There have been very few viking helmets found (...)
I talked to a Norwegian archaeologist who said that the number is two. Only two viking helmets have ever been excavated. The most likely reason being that a helmet is not a high-status object, and so was not something one would take to the grave.

One of the helmets was found in nine fragments in a mound in Ringerike, Norway. It is the only one found in Scandinavia. The other one is in York, England.

You're right about the depictions, though. While it is not clear how common it was for vikings to wear helmets, some contemporary sources show shapes that might be helmets.

In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 17 Sep 2010, 22:36

It is a little known fact that Ethric is actually an excavated helmet.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Sep 2010, 23:21

ScarlettP wrote:It is a little known fact that Ethric is actually an excavated helmet.
:lolu:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 18 Sep 2010, 13:45

Eh? :sceptic:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Sep 2010, 11:29

Dude... after all the trouble we went through to hide all the mirrors and stuff you just had to go and tell him... not cool.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Sep 2010, 16:51

Drove several miles to the teaching school, to find the quickest road closed and had to drive around. Boring lecture today too. And the classroom is hot.

Thank G for wireless Internet and portable laptops. I can sit here and look like I'm taking notes while actually hanging around here instead.

Not that I'm not taking part. I can multitask. ;)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Sep 2010, 20:27

Just secured time off in the fall holiday; I was supposed to teach some evenings, but the students didn't feel like it either, so ... 9 days off. :oex:

SCUBA diving, playing football, shopping for a car ... Yee ha. :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 18:37

Stupid nvidia drivers!

But after just freezing my PC 3-4 times then Win7 wouldn't get past the starting windows screen and just crash... if i went into safe mode and deleted all the drivers then it would work, but no acceleration or anything. When i tried reinstalling Win 7 it actually failed at the very end when it was completing the install (i'm guessing )

Installing Xp works, but if i install any drivers for the video card it also has artifacts on the startgin windows screen and then crashes.

So, is my video card gone?! I really hope it's still under warranty (it had 3 years, but i don't remember exactly when i got the it).

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Oct 2010, 20:29

Err, perhaps a better question, what card do you have?

And yes it may be saying sayonara to you. :D

Sometimes you may try to test it or reflash its bios and set lower values. And that, sometimes may save it but in that case don't expect that you could send it for reclamation in that "modified" state.

To test use GPU-Caps
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 20:47

ASUS(i think) 8800GTX

It's a known issue with 8800's it seems.

But from what i read it should be doing it after windows loads, like it did the first few times on friday...

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Oct 2010, 21:50

Bad news then!

This is a known issue for every card. It's usually happening if it's going to die however it's also doing that if it's wrongly set in drivers - higher values are used than they should be.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 22:52

And why would the drivers be set wrong when i just install them?! Stupid computers... John Connor is a red herring, SkyNet will be defeated by a BSoD, mark my words.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Oct 2010, 23:00

I have a Mac. It crashes too sometimes, although I was told it never would. Rihiiight.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 23:05

Welcome to the big leagues Mac...

But as a rig built with components designed for one another the Mac does have a leg up against PC build from pieces from different manufactures...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Oct 2010, 23:13

Yup.

Did you build your own PC? I'm working on that; I'll be looking to change the CPU to get high-end games to run better. Then I'll need a new motherboard and more and quicker RAM as well, but I can do it in increments.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 23:39

Kalah wrote:Yup.

Did you build your own PC?
Well technically i bought the parts and they assembled them... and i added my own DVD-player... looks like i picked the wrong video cards though.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Oct 2010, 12:52

Thor Hushovd is World Champion in professional cycling. :-D :applause:

Return to “Campfire”