What's The Worst Faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 11 Sep 2010, 06:22

Where was that post that said that the few people who post here can hardly be considered an accurate statistical sample..
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 11 Sep 2010, 06:30

ecsunotos wrote:It looks like many people don't like homogenous units for factions except for Haven.
Am I right ?
Well personally I'm fine with having a couple of homogeneous factions, what bugs me is that people are prepared to make an exception for Haven.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Sep 2010, 06:48

Elvin wrote:Where was that post that said that the few people who post here can hardly be considered an accurate statistical sample..
How could you say that those few people can't be considered as a appropriate statistical sample ?

:D

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 11 Sep 2010, 07:15

My statistics professor would be proud B-) Can't disappoint him now can I?
- Metathron

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 11 Sep 2010, 07:18

ecsunotos wrote:Well personally I'm fine with having a couple of homogeneous factions, what bugs me is that people are prepared to make an exception for Haven.
That's because the Knight factions are like this since HoMM I. And because the humans are widely acknowledged as xenophobes in the fantasy games/worlds.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Sep 2010, 08:01

Elvin wrote:My statistics professor would be proud B-) Can't disappoint him now can I?
What about asking your professor to do this research ?
:D

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 11 Sep 2010, 08:02

Zenofex wrote:That's because the Knight factions are like this since HoMM I. And because the humans are widely acknowledged as xenophobes in the fantasy games/worlds.
They're also widely acknowledged as the odd-men-out as well, by way of being way-short-lived compared to either dwarves or elves, but compensating by being far more common, and actually having more than one culture.

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 11 Sep 2010, 10:15

Yup, but what I mean is that they rarely mingle with other species when it comes to forming a society. I guess this is because the humans perceive themselves as unique in the real world too. It bothers no one when the same thing is implemented in a fictional realm.
In the HoMM case, almost all of the factions apart from Knights/Castle/Haven have always been some sort of "alliances" between different races/creatures with no race clearly dominating the line-up. Necropolis is some sort of exception too with all of its units being undead, but they differ from each other significantly - blood-drinking vampires, magical liches, animated dragons, ghosts... And HoMM III Inferno's charm is that it actually is a race of aliens. Now the elf-, orc- and dwarf-dominated factions in HoMM V aren't nearly as fun as the diverse Dungeon from HoMM III, for example.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 11 Sep 2010, 10:20

How could you say that those few people can't be considered as a appropriate statistical sample ?
Professor that I learned basics of statistic from for one. Minimal sample for more or less believable statistic is 1000 in addition to other parameters that need to be included.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Sep 2010, 12:43

tress wrote:
Professor that I learned basics of statistic from for one. Minimal sample for more or less believable statistic is 1000 in addition to other parameters that need to be included.
Is there any possibility that developer also use "statistical research" among fans to define any feature in the game, such as to define the most favourite faction etc. ?

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 11 Sep 2010, 13:10

I don't think Sylvan has enough 'iconic' units for them to continue in HOMM VI. Sure I'll miss their archer units, but they (along with the Dendroids) I'd quite happily see relegated to neutral creatures without town alignment.

I'm just not a big fan of unicorns. When I think of unicorns in HOMM VI I just think of this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Sep 2010, 14:28

Blocks100 wrote:I don't think Sylvan has enough 'iconic' units for them to continue in HOMM VI. Sure I'll miss their archer units, but they (along with the Dendroids) I'd quite happily see relegated to neutral creatures without town alignment.

I'm just not a big fan of unicorns. When I think of unicorns in HOMM VI I just think of this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Aahh... cute lil unicorn

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 11 Sep 2010, 15:01

MattII wrote:
ecsunotos wrote:It looks like many people don't like homogenous units for factions except for Haven.
Am I right ?
Well personally I'm fine with having a couple of homogeneous factions, what bugs me is that people are prepared to make an exception for Haven.
I don't much care but given there is a limited time for the team to make the game, then homogeneity isn't a good idea because to do it properly you have to have LOTS of city types.

Human should be an exception because of the difficulty of determining what non-humans would be the natural allies of humans.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 11 Sep 2010, 15:05

would be awesome if it was a tier 7 (3) unit and it had 5 rows of pointy teeth
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Sep 2010, 19:04

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote: Human should be an exception because of the difficulty of determining what non-humans would be the natural allies of humans.
WARHOUNDS... and of course Bear Cavalry...

[img]http://www.themostawesomepageintheunive ... avalry.jpg[/img]
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 12 Sep 2010, 05:59

Aaahh... this where Bear Rider and Blackbear Rider idea comes from
:disagree:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Sep 2010, 11:02

ecsunotos wrote:Aaahh... this where Bear Rider and Blackbear Rider idea comes from
:disagree:
Yeah, i should mention that THAT WAS A JOKE UBIHOLE...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 13 Sep 2010, 16:27

some fans concern about imbalance of faction for the reason why they hate the faction. They mentioned that the faction is too slow at clearence stage which is obviously a disadvantage for the faction to grow their castle.
Such faction mentioned are inferno and fortress.
Do you agree and notice that it's a reason for you to hate a faction ?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 13 Sep 2010, 16:29

ecsunotos wrote:some fans concern about imbalance of faction for the reason why they hate the faction.
Then sylvan does not get enough hate :D
- Metathron

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 13 Sep 2010, 21:02

This hate\love thing is childish, I really hope no dev is that lay to be affected by some bias - being his own or some target auditory's. I for instance hate elves - they are bloody everywhere and are bloody monotonous. Now make the elvish factions so weak that they get torn apart by every other race. Nice, no? Well, actually no indeed. I want the factions I don't like to be able to put a fight against me, not just to stay there and wait to be massacred, but I also want the factions I like to be powerful enough to be able to take out someone, who can put a fight himself. In short - they should all be balanced. THAT's nice.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”