What's The Worst Faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Sep 2010, 11:17

Don't like Dungeon. They're just kinky elves living underground.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 02 Sep 2010, 12:36

I actually think most dwarfen units look pretty awesome (except the berserker/brawler)

Their early play is only weak if you don't get rune of charge, otherwise it's awesome. Besides even if they early play is weak you cannot take their castle because of the insane amount of dwarfes that will spawn thanks to that one building (forgot its name).

As of concept I like all factions. However every time I decide to give inferno a try I end up not finishing the game because it's just no fun playing them.
Same goes for academy, I love the town, I just deslike the units.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 03 Sep 2010, 01:15

Mirez wrote:I actually think most dwarfen units look pretty awesome (except the berserker/brawler)

Their early play is only weak if you don't get rune of charge, otherwise it's awesome. Besides even if they early play is weak you cannot take their castle because of the insane amount of dwarfes that will spawn thanks to that one building (forgot its name).
At the later stage they will become to strong unit compared to others
Mirez wrote: However every time I decide to give inferno a try I end up not finishing the game because it's just no fun playing them.
Why ?
Mirez wrote: Same goes for academy, I love the town, I just deslike the units.
I think academy is a quiet balanced faction, combination of spell caster and shooters. The faction it self is, obviously, a magic faction. Although has "quiet weak" units, but they have magic to compensate it. Not to mention their ability to create artifact.
I hate Genie, though :P

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Sep 2010, 10:03

Kalah wrote:Don't like Dungeon. They're just kinky elves living underground.
At least they're not colour coded too.

tress wrote:Ofc no, but its not made by NWC so people dont give it credit that homm4 and mm9 recieved, on countrary it is expected to have even harder standarts.
Those 2 games where anything but "well received" when they came out... it's just that they still felt like M&M games instead of of a clone set in another type of world.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 03 Sep 2010, 10:18

The worst faction is without doubt in my mind definitely the Stronghold faction in Heroes V.

The whole Orc/Demon thing is just totally lame. They ruined perfectly fine creatures like centaurs into the bargain.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Sep 2010, 11:38

Those 2 games where anything but "well received" when they came out... it's just that they still felt like M&M games instead of of a clone set in another type of world.
I red alot of reviews that were more than lenient to those two. For example, fan site ag.ru that are usually very strict in rating games gave homm 4 a 9 and it was not until its two grand addons it got bashed and admitted that they gave it too much credit at the release.
If you check for example gamestats.com it gives whooping 9 for a press score, gamespot 8.8. Several gaming magazines gave it inflated rating too solely based on hype and trust towards NWC.
MM9 was received bit colder, because it was more obviously underdeveloped, and came out second, but still if game of such quality in time that had wizardry 8 and morrowind to set standards of such RPG would not bear title of mm it would probably get crashing rating of 2/10 rather than lukewarm 5-6/10 it mostly got. There is no denying that mm brand (mostly success of mm6-7 homm1-3) heavily inflated rating and perception of game at its release.
HOMM 5 on other hand is received with good dose of skepticism since after homm4 people are less gullible , and there will always be skepticism when title changes hands.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Sep 2010, 12:16

Really, a 9?! Wow, they must have ignored all bugs to give that score...

But i was talking more about the reaction from fans, review scores are BS anyway, bought and paid for by publishers etc.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 03 Sep 2010, 12:16

The reason why Haven / Castle was OK in the earlier Heroes was that they were the only faction that had such homogeneous units. It was Castle's thing. Everyone else had quite a lot of diversity. Other factions had good themes but the units themselves were very varied.

The Demon faction is by far the most boring of them all. It's kind of a cool idea but it could've been executed so much better. Something along the lines of

Occultist - Flaming Insects - Dark Priest - Demonic Giraffe - Masked Evil Spirit - Greater Demon

You know, having some actual flavour and diversity.

Heh, it's been a while since I've been around CH. I don't really have my hopes up for HoMM6 though ...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Sep 2010, 12:41

Linky wrote:The reason why Haven / Castle was OK in the earlier Heroes was that they were the only faction that had such homogeneous units. It was Castle's thing.
And they still added the Griffon and the Angel in H3...

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Sep 2010, 14:31

Imo 3do had no money to pay its rent not to mention bribe press. Also if you check user reviews it also have high marks. Also if you check older posts there are many people that with foam in their mouth defend homm(that is reasonably justified) and even worse mm9. While homm4 offers quite many interesting things to not bash game entirely, then mm9 dont really have much redeeming qualities. But still if you check even older posts here there is many posts with positive sentiment towards last NWC products. There is really heavy Naked King thing going on with those two amongst both press and regular players/
The reason why Haven / Castle was OK in the earlier Heroes was that they were the only faction that had such homogeneous units. It was Castle's thing. Everyone else had quite a lot of diversity. Other factions had good themes but the units themselves were very varied.
I think giving more homogenization gives better narrative story-wise. Such way story writers can accent that dwarves or elves or whatever is strong power. I had relatively hard time to accept dwarves as faction only because homm series never represented them as powerful force before.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2010, 07:30

tress wrote:
Imo 3do had no money to pay its rent not to mention bribe press.
There's always money to bribe the press.. and to pay for golden parachutes.
ALWAYS.
But still if you check even older posts here there is many posts with positive sentiment towards last NWC products.
Compared to Warhammer of M&M at least the NWC games still looked like heroes games.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 06 Sep 2010, 04:12

ThunderTitan wrote:
Linky wrote:The reason why Haven / Castle was OK in the earlier Heroes was that they were the only faction that had such homogeneous units. It was Castle's thing.
And the line up still be used till HoMM 6 !!!
So, developer think that
- it has already have a solid concept of faction
- many fans like Haven / Castle / Human

But later, I think it'll be boring faction if developer doesn't put inovations to this faction ( ability, magic, etc )

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 06 Sep 2010, 07:02

Haven won't be exactly the same but similar yes. Gameplay however will take a more defensive/magical approach than the charge & slaughter we had in H5 and its units will have their share of abilities.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Sep 2010, 08:50

ecsunotos wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:
And the line up still be used till HoMM 6 !!!
So, developer think that
- it has already have a solid concept of faction
- many fans like Haven / Castle / Human

But later, I think it'll be boring faction if developer doesn't put inovations to this faction ( ability, magic, etc )
And Warhounds... it's a great creature to have and it would fit fine in the human faction.

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 06 Sep 2010, 11:15

ecsunotos wrote: But later, I think it'll be boring faction if developer doesn't put inovations to this faction ( ability, magic, etc )
Well, there is this glowing lady on that artwork...

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 06 Sep 2010, 12:25

I don't think homogeneous units matter that much. Haven is just a fun faction to play. Most alternative upgrades are usefull in some situations. There's dark and light magic and training allows some cool abilities
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 07 Sep 2010, 02:29

Darkström wrote:
ecsunotos wrote: But later, I think it'll be boring faction if developer doesn't put inovations to this faction ( ability, magic, etc )
Well, there is this glowing lady on that artwork...
yeah...who's she ?
Crature / Heroin / what ?
Mirez wrote: don't think homogeneous units matter that much. Haven is just a fun faction to play.
Yup. Many fans want diversity of units of the faction, except for Haven / Castle.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 07 Sep 2010, 06:23

And where did you draw that conclusion pray tell..?
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Sep 2010, 07:15

Mirez wrote:I don't think homogeneous units matter that much.
Well enjoy your 6 units of the same race + 1 dragon then...

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Sep 2010, 04:53

Elvin wrote:And where did you draw that conclusion pray tell..?
from a pool and fans discussions
ThunderTitan wrote:
Mirez wrote: I don't think homogeneous units matter that much.
Well enjoy your 6 units of the same race + 1 dragon then...
It looks like many people don't like homogenous units for factions except for Haven.
Am I right ?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”