What's The Worst Faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

What's The Worst Faction ?

Unread postby ecsunotos » 25 Aug 2010, 04:42

Since it's a very early stage for HoMM VI, so let Ubi and BH know what faction shouldn't be in the game.

For me : the "worst" faction is dwarf nation. So boooorrriinggg !!!
There were just dwarfs use this, dwarfs use that, dwarfs on bear, giant dwarf, plus horrible dragons :tired:
Please don't bring 'em back !!!

But, although I hate the faction, I like rune magic anyway. It's quiet interesting to play with :D

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 25 Aug 2010, 06:59

But it's the same thing with the human faction. There's guy with a pitchfork, guy with a bow, guy with a sword, guy with a mace, and guy riding on a horse.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 25 Aug 2010, 07:46

vicheron wrote:But it's the same thing with the human faction. There's guy with a pitchfork, guy with a bow, guy with a sword, guy with a mace, and guy riding on a horse.
Yup that's right, but :
1. Human has angel and griffin, which give more variety for the type of troops. And for non dwarf troops, dwarf has only had a dragon. And in HoMM V, there were too many dragons type. Giving one more dragon to dwarf's lines up makes it "unacceptable" and boring. Just give us two type of non dwarf troops ( and not dragon, doh ! ) it'll be more acceptable.
2. Human with armour and mask makes it looks like "not human"any more. Yup it's just a matter of graphic design.
3. Town screen, the dwarf's town ( minning ) located in a crater. Looks impressive first, but it's quiet boring later. I prefer dwarf's minning in the middle of the earth, just like in LOTR the first sequel.

What's your worst faction, anyway ?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2010, 08:38

And that's why the Castle was the most boring faction in HoMM3 and previous games (and 4 too).

More trained war-animals would be welcomed.

War-hound at lvl 2 FTW.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

alma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alma » 25 Aug 2010, 08:48

Every townscreen is boring after some time not only the dwarf one.

I didn't like the dark elf concept, it killed the diversity of the town. Warlocks and the old Dungeon>>>>dark elves.

HoMM1: centaur, gargoyle, griffin, minotaur, hydra, dragon, yumm!
HoMM2: centaur, gargoyle, griffin, minotaur, hydra, dragon, yumm!
HoMM3: throglodyte, harpy, beholder, medusa, minotaur, manticore, dragon, yumm!
HoMM4: bandit, orc, medusa, minotaur, efreet, nightmare, dragon, hydra, yumm!

And then suddenly HoMM 5:
dark elf unit #1, dark elf unit #2, minotaur, dark elf unit #3, hydra, dark elf unit #5, dragon???

It absolutely killed the diversity of that town. I hope that if we get a warlock/dungeon again it'll be filled again with creatures from tales and fantasies and it'll be very diverse like it was in HoMM 1-4.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2010, 09:00

That's what happened to all the towns... racial unity for factions was one of the worst decisions in H5...

IMO they should just keep the heroes as belonging to the ruling race if they want to keep the racial themes for the factions and at most 1 unit in the line-up if they must, and just have the rest be enslaved, mercenary, war-animals or made/summoned-by-magic units.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 25 Aug 2010, 12:35

That's what happened to all the towns... racial unity for factions was one of the worst decisions in H5...
Somehow I feel there is unnaturally large amount of pathological hatred against HOMM 5 on thees boards. Ofc it isnt greatest game, but if that thing they call Homm 4 is allowed to carry name of homm then homm 5 can do it without questions.
Race unifiation - Imo that gives race more consequent outlook. For example dwarves amongst elves -that automatically puts them
amongst minor races. Any lore that would be based on dwarfs is therefore is killed. I never can imagine rampart as dwarf town.
Dungeon - making them warhammer withc elf style was too cheese move but the way they made dungeon in homm 3 it was too similar to fortress imo - lots of tamed creatures.
3. Town screen, the dwarf's town ( minning ) located in a crater. Looks impressive first, but it's quiet boring later. I prefer dwarf's minning in the middle of the earth, just like in LOTR the first sequel.
I think they made dwarf towns quite cool. Inverted inferno isnt that of a bad decision(besides looking at it always remind me joke about building well with lamp at the bottom) and making it lotr cave like would be too similar to dungeon(this way they are bit too close to warcraft designs but still ok).

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 25 Aug 2010, 13:49

Why do people equate "different units" with "different races/creatures"?

You know which Haven town and lineup I like the most? HOMM2. Yeah, that's right. The one that had nothing but humans in it.

Gryphons were in the mage castle (where they belong) and humans had different and all-human units (with the paladin/crusader at the top...gotta love that unit).

I don't need for every unit to be of a different race/species. I just need them to be well-tough off and diverse.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 25 Aug 2010, 13:51

ThunderTitan wrote:That's what happened to all the towns... racial unity for factions was one of the worst decisions in H5...
Badly implemented, but not IMO bad in itself.
IMO they should just keep the heroes as belonging to the ruling race if they want to keep the racial themes for the factions and at most 1 unit in the line-up if they must, and just have the rest be enslaved, mercenary, war-animals or made/summoned-by-magic units.
So that's one human only in Haven?

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 25 Aug 2010, 14:00

Well it has been announced there will be 5 factions, we have already seen necropolis and haven so there's 3 others.

I think the other factions we will see most likely are:
1. inferno (we will need some bad guys right?)
2. sylvan (it's not homm without elves right)
3. academy (homm without mages is a joke)

so there's possibility there won't even be a dungeon faction. Which is possible considering the game is 400 years before heroes 5. It might be possible the dark elves haven't seperated from the elves yet.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 25 Aug 2010, 16:49

homm without mages is a joke
Homm1 joke?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 25 Aug 2010, 16:52

There's a funny way to argue about it..
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 25 Aug 2010, 17:59

tress wrote:
homm without mages is a joke
Homm1 joke?
yes, at least for me (I started playing homm since heroes 3)

however apparently the dark elves have already separated at that part so it seems 1 faction will have to leave...
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Aug 2010, 18:04

I really hope the Dark Elves won't be back, but if they are, at least there's a good chance they'll be more faithfully "redesigned" (though "fixed" might be a better term) to match the original concept art, and veer away from Warhammer figurines. I think the Dwarves should also undergo a serious revamp before anyone even considers bringing them back.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 25 Aug 2010, 21:51

I'm surprised nobody said Inferno. To me, this has always been a boring faction.

They always had different units of a reddish tone, and when upgraded, they caught even more fire.

Is everything red in hell?

And I don't understand the Haven/Castle hate. This is a town which supposedly is medieval human society in a fantasy setting. Add in griffins and angels just to top things off, have some cattle in the background and that's what you get.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 25 Aug 2010, 22:08

Corlagon wrote:I really hope the Dark Elves won't be back, but if they are, at least there's a good chance they'll be more faithfully "redesigned" (though "fixed" might be a better term) to match the original concept art, and veer away from Warhammer figurines. I think the Dwarves should also undergo a serious revamp before anyone even considers bringing them back.
Agreed. For me the worst faction is H5 Dungeon because it was an exact copy-paste of Warhammer with some parts of the good ol' Dungeon (hydras, minotaurs and dragons).

As much as I love Dark Elves, this army just felt unoriginal since it was a blatant copy-paste. At the time H5 was released, I was in Warhammer Online beta-test so it really felt a bit awkward.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 26 Aug 2010, 02:31

- Some people say : diversity is good, too many troops type of original race is bad. There should be more type of troops out of the original race, such as more tamed animal, more slave troops, mercenary, etc.
but some people love Human faction ( Haven ) which is nearly lack of diversity and has too many human troops.
- Some people define the worst faction based on their dislike of the atmosphere of the town of some faction towns but for those towns, other people love it.

Is there any formula to define the word :"worst faction" ??

There were a pool about favourite faction. The result is :
Favourite faction in H5 - 2007
Necropolis : 18% [ 17 ]
Academy : 16% [ 15 ]
Haven : 15% [ 14 ]
Dungeon : 13% [ 12 ]
Stronghold : 13% [ 12 ]
Sylvan : 11% [ 11 ]
Fortress : 6% [ 6 ]
Inferno : 5% [ 5 ]

Total Votes : 92

Why many people love Necro, Academy, and Haven ?
Why many people don't like Fortress and Inferno ?

Again, what's the formula to define the worst faction ? Any Idea ?
;|

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 26 Aug 2010, 07:35

Most people hated Inferno because it was not very user-friendly. To be a good Inferno player, you had to do a lot of micromanagement especially early game when you had to capture mines guarded by shooters. So people were less interested by it.

Fortress was, imo, quite the opposite, it was a too strong faction from the start and totally unbalanced - hence many leagues simply forbid Fortress in their tournament.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 26 Aug 2010, 07:46

Hard to talk about worst faction since we only know 3 of them, and we know general concept of them at best now.
About early parts and inferno - One of reasons I dont like it is fact that gating takes extra turn in every combat making game play tedious. Most of rest faction racials work in much more passive way.
Early units also doesn't give fast clearing power as other faction countrparts. Imps dont nearly give as much boost as faeries/gremlins/scouts and works well only in large numbers against heroes. But generally you dont encounter heroes early.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 26 Aug 2010, 08:01

Fortress strong from the start? Since when..?
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Return to “Heroes V-VI”