Heroes 6 wishlist (draft)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 21 Aug 2010, 00:36

I know it won't happen. But anyway. Just for fun...

Creature Experience
Creature stacks get the same experience as the hero and level up like the hero. When a new level is reached, the level up screen appears allowing the player to choose one skill between 2 choices for the creature. The skills can be:
- General skills for all creatures (Example Attack, the gives 5%/10%/15% bonus to creature damage at basic/expert/advanced)
- Specific creature skills (Example, vampires don't have the life drain ability. They can get it by leveling up. Cavaliers can get the charge skill by leveling up. Angels can get the resurrect skill by leveling up. And so on)

When you add new recruits, experience is decreased proportionally (like in WoG). If the stack goes down a level, it loses the last skill gained.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 21 Aug 2010, 09:18

OliverFA wrote: Creature stacks get the same experience as the hero and level up like the hero. When a new level is reached, the level up screen appears allowing the player to choose one skill between 2 choices for the creature.
When a hero and 6 stacks get 3 level-ups after a large battle you get 21 pop-up windows asking you to chose a skill? That sounds no fun. I would leave it automatic like in WoG.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 21 Aug 2010, 09:28

Pitsu wrote:
OliverFA wrote: Creature stacks get the same experience as the hero and level up like the hero. When a new level is reached, the level up screen appears allowing the player to choose one skill between 2 choices for the creature.
When a hero and 6 stacks get 3 level-ups after a large battle you get 21 pop-up windows asking you to chose a skill? That sounds no fun. I would leave it automatic like in WoG.
That's a valid point. Maybe maximum experience per combat should be capped at one level. Which would make sense. as you can't go from level 1 to level 20 just because you killed a super powerful army. It takes some time to learn and incorporate that knowledge.

Also, all seven creatures level up screens could be combined in the same pop up.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 21 Aug 2010, 10:02

Personally I'm against the idea of creatures gaining actual abilities from experience, I'd prefer to see them just gain stats, and leave abilities to actual upgrades. I'm also not exactly fond of actually having levels overall for the stats, I think each stat should have its own 'level-up' point (no level-up screen), like for example, attack levels up at 1000 xp, and then at 2200, and then at 3700 etc., while defence levels up at 800, and then at 1760, and then at 2912, etc.
Last edited by MattII on 21 Aug 2010, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 21 Aug 2010, 10:07

MattII wrote:Personally I'm against the idea of creatures gaining actual abilities from experience, I'd prefer to see them just gain stats, and leave abilities to actual upgrades.
Yes. That's something that I suppose should be worked through gametesting. Maybe it works with them gaining abilities from experience, maybe it doesn't.

Alternatively, upgraded units would be able to gain more abilities from experience than unupgraded ones. Or the experience level 0 unit could have the base ability, that could be improved to advanced and expert through leveling up.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 21 Aug 2010, 12:40

OliverFA wrote:
MattII wrote:Personally I'm against the idea of creatures gaining actual abilities from experience, I'd prefer to see them just gain stats, and leave abilities to actual upgrades.
Yes. That's something that I suppose should be worked through gametesting. Maybe it works with them gaining abilities from experience, maybe it doesn't.

Alternatively, upgraded units would be able to gain more abilities from experience than unupgraded ones. Or the experience level 0 unit could have the base ability, that could be improved to advanced and expert through leveling up.
Or possibly a combination of skills from levels and upgrades: base units have a level cap of (arbitrarily for the example) 5, while upgraded units can go to level 10 (e.g. no matter how experienced an angel is, it cannot learn to resurrect troops- it simply doesn't have the innate ability)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

yodus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yodus » 21 Aug 2010, 17:10

OliverFA wrote:I know it won't happen. But anyway. Just for fun...

Creature Experience
Creature stacks get the same experience as the hero and level up like the hero. When a new level is reached, the level up screen appears allowing the player to choose one skill between 2 choices for the creature. The skills can be:
- General skills for all creatures (Example Attack, the gives 5%/10%/15% bonus to creature damage at basic/expert/advanced)
- Specific creature skills (Example, vampires don't have the life drain ability. They can get it by leveling up. Cavaliers can get the charge skill by leveling up. Angels can get the resurrect skill by leveling up. And so on)

When you add new recruits, experience is decreased proportionally (like in WoG). If the stack goes down a level, it loses the last skill gained.
I thought about it too. It's brilliant idea, but makes game harder to balance and it's way to complicated to be implement on this stage of development :/

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 21 Aug 2010, 23:08

yodus wrote:I thought about it too. It's brilliant idea, but makes game harder to balance and it's way to complicated to be implement on this stage of development :/
H5 expansions came with a completely new (and far better) necromancy system. So it is possible to do it in the expansions.

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 22 Aug 2010, 11:23

If Black Hole are serious about ramping up the rpg elements, I want to see a proper skill tree for heroes, which is visible on the pop-up interface, (a la Diablo etc).

I'd like to be able to spend level-up points on the tree, allowing me to plan a Ballista wielding, logistical expert hero from the very start. The 'skill wheel' in V felt too random.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Aug 2010, 21:47

While a good in-game reference for skill growth dependencies is a must, if they go with a H5 style system, doing it Diablo style is not really very HoMM-ish... no level-upm points pls.

Oh, and before i forget, they need to make the direct dmg spells take into account the number of units in a stack somehow, so they can compete in late-game against buffs and debuffs.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 24 Aug 2010, 12:52

Well, have read all the pages, i can say that, not surprisingly to me (being a HoMM fan for 10+ years) many ideas said here had come to me also.Some before H4, some before H5, some later.Now i have pages of wishes and ideas for my favorite game, as i want it to be.At this stage (game is half made and they probably have most planed features fixed) its probably to late to post it and i doubt they will consider, not to speak implement those ideas.

Anyway, one thing i want to say now to UbiHole :-D :
- Please, oh developer, please, discover the thing called Mouse Scroll Wheel! :beg:

Since H4 i wonder in disbelief how the use of SW was not implemented in game.Simple use is to scroll through heroes and towns on adventure screen or spellbook pages and artefacts in inventory. More advanced use is to chose available actions in combat and spells if you want to use them.I understand, when you know many spells, it's still better to use spellbook...
Splinter sayings:
You must strike hard and fade away...

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few...

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 24 Aug 2010, 15:42

SplinterHoMM wrote:
Anyway, one thing i want to say now to UbiHole :-D :
- Please, oh developer, please, discover the thing called Mouse Scroll Wheel! :beg:

Since H4 i wonder in disbelief how the use of SW was not implemented in game.Simple use is to scroll through heroes and towns on adventure screen or spellbook pages and artefacts in inventory. More advanced use is to chose available actions in combat and spells if you want to use them.I understand, when you know many spells, it's still better to use spellbook...
Haha, yeah, that would be a nice addition.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2010, 07:44

SplinterHoMM wrote:Well, have read all the pages, i can say that, not surprisingly to me (being a HoMM fan for 10+ years) many ideas said here had come to me also.
It's like we where playing the same game or something.

And good idea about the scroll wheel...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 25 Aug 2010, 11:24

Crusader/Paladin/Holy Avenger ...whatever you want to call it.

I want it as a tier 6. F**** the stupid cavaliers. I want the full-plate-wearing, zweihander swinging holy knight delivering some divine vengance

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 25 Aug 2010, 14:26

I doubt it's going to happen what with angels being way more holy than any mere human could hope to match.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 26 Aug 2010, 09:05

Angels are tier 7..or something. Think of it as "Paladin/Crusader the second most powerful unit after the Angel"

Which reminds me...how many unit tiers will this game have?
Last edited by Soronarr on 27 Aug 2010, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 26 Aug 2010, 14:25

7 probably, unless they decide to 'simplify' that as well.

alma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alma » 26 Aug 2010, 14:40

My wish is not about the game it's about this forum. Could we have a sticky topic for announcements/pictures/videos/infos/developer posts/etc? It would be used only by moderators and they'll collect there the informations because there are lots of topics and posts here and I am afraid of I miss something interesting.
Of course it shouldn't be only for the most important informations, it could contain all little screenshots, photos, info about facebook/twitter updates, fansite updates, developer commentaries, etc. In this tempo it means 2-3 posts in a day, so not a so big job I think and it really would help some of us here who have no time to check all single new post every time.
Thank you for your attention!

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 27 Aug 2010, 09:46

I prefer 5 unit tiers per town (with possible alternatives and /or altgrades), since there was almost no difference between some tiers (2-3 or 4-5).Four was to few in H4 and i think it's good to have mid-tier, like 'backbone' of your army, that is strong and still comes in good numbers.
Units, like angels, dragons, possibly titans would be unique or 'avatar' creatures, available only in capitol cities 1/month (they loose 'uniqueness' (how to say?) in big numbers.
Special dwelling would provide additional (1 x month#) of these creatures in siege defense (like H5 dwarf guard tower).
Splinter sayings:
You must strike hard and fade away...

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few...

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 27 Aug 2010, 10:46

Reduction of micromanagement would be nice. The game mechanics still 'force' the player to spend most of the turn running around with secondary heroes doing uninteresting tasks
- if windmill-like structures are in the game; make them flaggable like in H4
- H4 caravan system
- summon creatures spell like in H5, but reduce mana cost for lower tier creatures.
- picking up resources or flagging structures costs no movement (default snatch ability of H5)
- raise the cost of hero recruitment

Love the mouse scroll wheel suggestion!
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”