Ubisoft Officially Announces Heroes VI!

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 20 Aug 2010, 07:25

My first post on this forum for many, many years. The trailer underwhelmed me, but I absolutely loved the screenshots, particularly the battles. The level of detail on those units is SUPERB. They've dropped the cartoony feel that #5 had and now it looks like a refined version of the original series. I would like to see more variety (locations etc) on the land maps though.

@Andrews - HoMM #1 had only 4 factions. HoMM #2 had four factions plus two more in the expansion. I'd like more than 5, but 5 isn't terrible.

And yes, the King's Bounty remake is uber-awesome. Absolutely loved it and I can't recommend it enough for HoMM fans.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't stress enough how much this site rocks. Seriously, it's been like 7 years since I was here and it still remembers my account and even my avatar. My favorite forum of all time. :)
Edited on Fri, Aug 20 2010, 03:26 by Lord_Haart

Mitzah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mitzah » 20 Aug 2010, 07:56

About the mines belonging to the castles, I'm not that sure anymore, since nobody else at the conference picked it up, except a Romanian reviewer/reporter. He said he'll do a preview so we'll find out exactly what's up in a few days, I guess.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Ubisoft Officially Announces Heroes VI!

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 20 Aug 2010, 13:00

Infiltrator wrote:What the hell? Mines in castles? Why not just flush it down the toilet?
I have a feeling that if this true, then (as I mentioned in another thread) they might be using a "zone of control" around towns, such as in Civilization, or an expanding ZoC, such as in Disciples 1/2 (don't know about 3).

@lord_Haart: Heroes 2 had 6 factions from the beginning. The expansion simply added a structure to replace the tavern in the necropolis.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Aug 2010, 18:52

Lord_Haart wrote:<<They've dropped the cartoony feel that #5 had and now it looks like a refined version of the original series. >>
Actually "cartoony" is a label that can still easily be applied (and does apply to H1&2)... this is just way less "warcraft3-y" and closer to the more fairy tale looks Heroes should have (from the Haven unit pics I saw).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Aug 2010, 21:14

If they are going to drop the deformed-no-detail-texture-WoW/Warcraft-style looks of everything, then that's a good start. Now if they were to bring back the original universe, I'd definitely buy it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Aug 2010, 22:49

Well nowadays textures ain't that much of a burden on hardware as it used to be... just look at the new Gryphon.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Aug 2010, 06:38

Yes, and that's why it's puzzling why developers don't use them.
And about the graphics style, quoting RPGenie on one stream: "Why would I play this? If I want to play World of Warcraft, I will play World of Warcraft!" :)

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 21 Aug 2010, 10:24

Yeah, by "cartoony" I meant WoW-y. That was a major gripe with HoMM5 for me. I think this new look is far more true to the original series, while simultaneously representing what might be the single greatest upgrade in graphical quality.

As for gameplay, I think it's one of those things where you need to play it before you can tell how well it works. I hope they don't dumb it down though, and I want more buildings on the adventure map. Battles sound pretty good though, sounds like they've taken some hints from King's Bounty which isn't really a bad thing.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Aug 2010, 11:45

Lord_Haart wrote:while simultaneously representing what might be the single greatest upgrade in graphical quality.
Hahahahaha... seriously, play more recent 3D games already...

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 21 Aug 2010, 12:32

I wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:What the hell? Mines in castles? Why not just flush it down the toilet?
I have a feeling that if this true, then (as I mentioned in another thread) they might be using a "zone of control" around towns, such as in Civilization, or an expanding ZoC, such as in Disciples 1/2 (don't know about 3).
Having tried out Heroes Kingdoms for a few days, I think the civ type control is likely- given the way control of mines works in HK (you need to claim them, but you can only control mines close your town)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 21 Aug 2010, 17:50

@ThunderTitan

For the heroes series is what I mean. It's not Crysis but it's not bad by today's standards.

Kosh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kosh » 21 Aug 2010, 20:30

Firstly, that naming has to be changed. Might and Magic Heroes? No. This series is Heroes of Might and Magic, HoMM, it's an established brand and people recognize it's difference from the Might and Magic RPG series. This is just confusing the two and diluting a good brand name. Notice everyone still trying call it HoMM VI. Maybe the people at Ubisoft forgot what the series is really called and just screwed up? Since they have never really been very involved with the game/community it seems etc., I can see that being the case O_o

As for some of those changes, interesting. I'll wait and see. It all depends on how it plays and jives. I really miss the Hex battlefield though :( And I'm a little suspicious of this focus on RPG elements... because I love this series as a TURN BASED STRATEGY GAME.... I don't buy it for the RPG elements. So as long as they don't lose focus that this is a STRATEGY series/game and can make it compelling, challenging, fun, and as bug-free as possible, then of course I'll buy it.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Aug 2010, 21:17

Kosh wrote:Maybe the people at Ubisoft forgot what the series is really called and just screwed up?
That's the most probable reason. But we can benefit from that and call it MMH6 so even the abbreviation would show how far from the real HoMM games they are :P

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 21 Aug 2010, 23:49

GreatEmerald wrote:
Kosh wrote:Maybe the people at Ubisoft forgot what the series is really called and just screwed up?
That's the most probable reason. But we can benefit from that and call it MMH6 so even the abbreviation would show how far from the real HoMM games they are :P
True or not the naming protocol was released long ago. So this is no surprise whether you agreed with it or not. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 Aug 2010, 08:10

Infernos maintain individual freedom as the only meaningful moral value, and the slightest disagreement or punishment is met with swift and severe punishment. Yeah that makes sense.

Hope these aren't legit, as it sounds like exactly the same as H5. Yawn. And whoever thought acid green was a nice touch in the necropolis colour-scheme deserves a beating.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Aug 2010, 13:21

Lord_Haart wrote:<For the heroes series is what I mean. It's not Crysis but it's not bad by today's standards.>
No, but frankly i don't see it being that big of a jump from H5's graphics... they just improved the art-style a lot (and that's because you and me didn't like the style of H5).

Also, it's sad that Crysis, a 3 year old game, is still viewed as having the pinnacle of graphics... graphics whoring is in a sad state right now.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 24 Aug 2010, 18:45

I came to these boards in a "drive by" fashion. And what do I read and get out of these H6 news and info tidbits? Same infected dirt as have become the standard for ALOT of publishers and developers nowadays.

Ruining franchises with. DMR, DLC milking, IDIOTIC small and big changes to gameplay and never broken features. Which greedy monkey are in charge of each of the dreaded publishers departments? Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Disney Entertainment.

Im sick and tired of promises based on fans nostalgia and loyality. I was stupid to think and play H5 as the gem it certainly are NOT anymore in my eyes. Developers should neither slack on the fans when they get bigger, its getting a more serious reality, year by year.

Marzhin seem to be the only sane person in Ubisoft as far as I know. Still I rather see another publisher to take over the M&M franchise without the crazy paranoia of piracy, going rampant with copy right protection and lousy customer support.

/rant
Edited on Tue, Aug 24 2010, 14:45 by Orfinn

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Aug 2010, 19:10

@Orfinn
And what about Elemental: War of Magic?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Aug 2010, 19:37

Orfinn wrote:Ruining franchises with. DMR, DLC milking, IDIOTIC small and big changes to gameplay and never broken features. Which greedy monkey are in charge of each of the dreaded publishers departments? Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Disney Entertainment.
Based on this part of your post and your avatar, I believe that you've played Mass Effect 2 :D

Elemental: War of Magic uses Impulse::Reactor, so it should be awesome. I'm not sure if it was released already, though, it seems that it should be today.

Return to “News”