Bizarre News

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Apr 2006, 19:02

ThunderTitan wrote:Oh... should have read the article before asking. Anyway, is it just me or do flat screen TV's that have good image quality cost an arm and a leg? And the ones that don't have good image quality still cost a couple of times more then a regular one.
Actually you can get a really good HD TV now for barely more than 1000 dollars US. That's what I'm saving for. :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Apr 2006, 19:27

Oh, only 1000 $...

But seriously, I went to a store not a month ago and even the smallest ones where 2000+, the ones that looked good, i mean. I did see one with a slim catodic tube that was 1000+ that was good. But none of the flat screens seemed actualy worth it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Apr 2006, 20:10

ThunderTitan wrote: But seriously, I went to a store not a month ago and even the smallest ones where 2000+, the ones that looked good, i mean. I did see one with a slim catodic tube that was 1000+ that was good. But none of the flat screens seemed actualy worth it.
You're obviously not looking in the right place, then. I just saw a 60 inch DLP set at BJs the other day for 2700 dollars. That's an amazing price. When I was looking at sets not too long ago, the one I had my eye on was a 52 inch DLP set from Samsung that was 1900 dollars. That's less than the price of a new computer. (Now if only the XBOX 360 wasn't over 600!)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Apr 2006, 20:21

Yeah, let me just swim over there so I can get a good deal. :rolleyes:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Apr 2006, 21:16

I can mail one to you. :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Apr 2006, 15:55

Corribus wrote:I can mail one to you. :)
I'm sure the mailman would apreciate that. :disagree:

"Monster rabbit" targets vegetable patch!

LONDON (Reuters) - It sounds like a job for Wallace and Gromit. A "monster" rabbit has apparently been rampaging through vegetable patches in a small village in northern England, ripping up leeks, munching turnips and infuriating local gardeners.

In an uncanny resemblance to the plot of the hit animated film "Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit," angry horticulturists in Felton, near Newcastle, have now mounted an armed guard to protect their prized cabbages and parsnips.

"They call it the monster. It's very big -- it's nearly the size of a dog," said Joan Smith, whose son Jeff owns one of the plots under attack.

"It's eating everything, all the vegetables," she told Reuters. "They are trying to shoot it. They go along hoping to catch it but I think it's too crafty."

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Apr 2006, 16:39

When something cool happens, people always have to kill the thing, creature or person that makes all of it cool, interesting and awesome. Me thinks those veggie lovers are clearly overreacting. :hoo:
So why not catch the mutaded giant rabbit and place it in a zoo? It cant be that "dangerous" :disagree:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Apr 2006, 00:18

Orfinn wrote:When something cool happens, people always have to kill the thing, creature or person that makes all of it cool, interesting and awesome. Me thinks those veggie lovers are clearly overreacting. :hoo:
So why not catch the mutaded giant rabbit and place it in a zoo? It cant be that "dangerous" :disagree:
Im sure PETA will soon voice its oppinion how that rabbit needs to be caught and transported into the wild,far away from human settlments.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 10 Apr 2006, 06:27

Yeah would be for the best but who knows that the oversized rabbit dont turn on other things than vegetables like deers, bears and even tasty rocks? 8|

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 10 Apr 2006, 13:03

Orfinn wrote:...and even tasty rocks?
Now that would be impressive. Chewing it and then passing it....
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Apr 2006, 16:26

Genius! Pure genius. I wonder if he'd use an A Bomb as a leg warmer.

Exploding paperweight costs teacher his hand
VENTURA, California (AP) -- A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Apr 2006, 16:47

ThunderTitan wrote:Genius! Pure genius.
Wow, and this guy is a TEACHER? ;|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Apr 2006, 17:31

Well the educational system isn't what it used to be.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Apr 2006, 17:35

Well, at least he probably killed the bug, so, er, mission accomplished! :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Apr 2006, 18:08

Cockroaches can live without their head. They eventualy die of starvation. So I wouldn't be too sure that the bug is dead.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Apr 2006, 18:33

Corribus wrote:Well, at least he probably killed the bug, so, er, mission accomplished! :D
I doubt that, it's here any evidence? And what thougts Vlad? :hoo:
Last edited by Pol on 10 Apr 2006, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 10 Apr 2006, 18:55

Think your phone bill is high? Try $218 trillion
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A Malaysian man said he nearly fainted when he received a U.S. $218 trillion phone bill and was ordered to pay up within 10 days or face prosecution, a newspaper reported Monday.

Yahaya Wahab said he disconnected his late father's phone line in January after he died and settled the 84-ringgit (U.S. $23) bill, the New Straits Times reported.

But Telekom Malaysia later sent him a 806,400,000,000,000.01-ringgit (U.S. $218 trillion) bill for recent telephone calls along with orders to settle within 10 days or face legal proceedings, the newspaper reported.

It wasn't clear whether the bill was a mistake, or if Yahaya's father's phone line was used illegally after his death.

"If the company wants to seek legal action as mentioned in the letter, I'm ready to face it," the paper quoted Yahaya as saying. "In fact, I can't wait to face it," he said.

Yahaya, from northern Kedah state, received a notice from the company's debt-collection agency in early April, the paper said. Yahaya said he nearly fainted when he saw the new bill.

Government-linked Telekom Malaysia Bhd. is the country's largest telecommunications company.

A company official, who declined to be identified as she was not authorized to speak to the media, said Telekom Malaysia was aware of Yahaya's case and would address it. She did not provide further details.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Apr 2006, 19:20

Not small sum of money :D (I had perhaps dilligently specified that I meant the second Vlad, through his profession.)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Apr 2006, 20:16

Yeah, they're gonna sue for an amout most countries don't have. That's something i'd like to see.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 03 May 2006, 16:57

Pseudo-bump...

Men lose their financial bargaining edge after they have seen beautiful women.

Researchers at the University of Leuven in Belgium recently announced a study suggesting men lose their financial bargaining edge after they have seen beautiful women. Volunteers played a wagering game in which a participant could either gamble for big winnings, running a risk of obtaining nothing, or fold and accept a medium return. Most men gambled for big winnings. Then half the group was shown pictures of babes in lingerie, the other half photographs of landscapes. When the game resumed, the men who had been gawking at pretty women lost their focus and began to agree to whatever offer was on the table, while the men who had seen the landscape photography kept playing for big wins.

Return to “Campfire”