[MM6] Equipment breakage (and, is it moddable?)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

[MM6] Equipment breakage (and, is it moddable?)

Unread postby jeffh » 01 Jul 2010, 22:16

I'm in the temple of the snake in MM6 and having our equipment broken at every turn is REALLY getting old. I can repair most of it myself but it's still a lot of tedious micromanagement I could really do without. Is there anything that can be done within MM6 to prevent this, or at least reduce the chance of it happening? (There is no "Harden Item" potion in VI.)

Failing that, is there any easy way to mod up the hardness values of everything, preferably without destroying a saved game? I've never finished VI due to its sheer length and am currently attempting to do so, but I'm close to quitting, that's how annoying I find this issue.

(I am using the Greyface patch but no other mods).
Last edited by jeffh on 02 Jul 2010, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 02 Jul 2010, 00:42

To my knowledge, you just have to keep passing the broken equipment to your Repair Item person over and over. I like to think of it as a form of magic, since it's completely unrealistic that a person could mundanely "repair" a broken item in mid-combat.

I usually think of Samantha from Bewitched twitching her nose and causing broken items to reassemble on the spot!

It's tedious as heck, sure, as far as actual gameplay. But I don't think you have any other choice but to just deal with it. Complaints about the tediousness are why the devs added the Harden Item ability in MM7.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 02 Jul 2010, 08:12

Okay, that's what I figured but not what I'd hoped for.

What about the question about moddability?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 02 Jul 2010, 16:17

jeffh wrote:Okay, that's what I figured but not what I'd hoped for.

What about the question about moddability?
Far too many monsters late game use a break item/weapon/armor ability and that's why it gets so ridiculous, every other hit or so something breaks.

In my monsters.txt I removed this ability from some of them, namely the gold dragon, (basic) titan and basic robot unit, so that in any large packs, only 1 type of monster (out of 3) can break items.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 03 Jul 2010, 07:01

According to Grayface's site, there is an "Item strength" variable that affects the chance of breakage. Can that be modded, and if so, what (in, at least at first, simple nontechnical terms) is the easiest way to do so, and would it require a restart?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Jul 2010, 00:05

Why not just take a blacksmith NPC with you so you can at least repair the tiem with any party member?
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 04 Jul 2010, 01:52

Macros the Black wrote:Why not just take a blacksmith NPC with you so you can at least repair the tiem with any party member?
@ Macros, because there are much higher priorities for NPC's - such as enchanters and instructors and gatemasters and airmasters and scholars, and ... well, at least in my opinion, one needs other kinds of NPC's more.

And moving along, I have discovered that Grayface's latest patch for MM7 greatly reduces the chances of item breakage. It almost never happens - only when a character is knocked unconscious or killed, and only the torso armor.

It may do the same for MM6, but I haven't verified that yet.

@ the OP - do you have the latest Grayface patch installed?
Last edited by BMJedi on 05 Jul 2010, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 05 Jul 2010, 04:26

BMJedi wrote:
@ the OP - do you have the latest Grayface patch installed?
To the best of my knowledge, yes; I downloaded it from the link on this site just a few days before my recent spate of activity here.

motter28218
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby motter28218 » 05 Jul 2010, 20:15

You can mod the monsters.txt file, just go through and find all the brkitem/brrkweapon/brkarmor entries and change them to 0, this will take away the monsters abilities to break your stuff. If you don't know how to do this let me know and I will mod the file for you and we can PM each other and I will mail it to you.

Otter

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 06 Jul 2010, 01:28

Wow, Otter, even though I'm not the one asking for this favor, how generous of you!

BTW, is that profile photo of you? If so, woof. ;)

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 06 Jul 2010, 02:01

If you're in a monsters.txt editing mood, I highly recommend also removing the monsters' targeting preferences, such as Titan targetting females and many enemies preferring Sorcerers, or Archers, etc

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 06 Jul 2010, 13:44

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:If you're in a monsters.txt editing mood, I highly recommend also removing the monsters' targeting preferences, such as Titan targetting females and many enemies preferring Sorcerers, or Archers, etc
I thought I had noticed certain monsters concentrating their fire on specific characters during combat in MM games!

Thanks for verifying that it wasn't just my imagination!

motter28218
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby motter28218 » 06 Jul 2010, 15:19

BMJedi wrote:BTW, is that profile photo of you? If so, woof. ;)
Well as Bob Segar would say "I ain't good lookin but I ain't shy, not afraid to look a girl in the eye, just a Ramblin, Gamblin man!". :devil:

Return to “Might and Magic”