Chests, what to choose?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Falklol
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Chests, what to choose?

Unread postby Falklol » 04 Nov 2009, 02:01

Hello, I've never been certain if I should choose the gold or the experience in a chest, early on atleast. I've seen some sick AI heroes, that can wipe out huge amounts of troops and aid their own, will it be more worthwhile to spend it on the experience in the long run? Or should I just grab the gold?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Nov 2009, 07:28

Depends, but normally gold is the safer choice.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Elias_Maluco
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Elias_Maluco » 04 Nov 2009, 12:19

Experience at the start when the hero is low level and Im not bankrupt, money otherwise.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 04 Nov 2009, 15:08

It depends on the type of map, and your playing style, but on a completely unknown map, I usually go this way:

If gold is abundant:
always take xp.

If gold is in decent supply, but may be needed soon:
take XP if hero is less than level 5, or if hero is less than level 10, and it is a 1000xp/1500 gold chest or more.
If hero is over level 15, xp only if I am within the chest value's xp distance of a new level.

If gold is scarce:
If there are many troops to buy or expensive buildings needed soon, then always gold.

note that "abundant" or "scarce" is situational - i.e. if I am trying to get a level 7 dwelling before the end of the week, then even if I am earning 5000 gold per day, if I will need 1000 gold beyond my production, I may tkae the 2000 gold rather than the 1500 xp, even if the hero is low in level.

Also, for heroes 5 specifically, it depends on the role of the hero (primary, secondary, or resource gatherer/scout) and the skill set of the main hero (mentoring, for example, makes xp for secondary heroes low priority)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

jigsaw2008
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jigsaw2008 » 25 Jun 2010, 21:57

When the game starts you always lack both experience and gold.
When the game finishes you always have your hero enough experienced that the chest cannot help you and the gold is not a problem because you have enough.
I think at the start of the game the gold can help you build your town rapidly and so you can hire level 7 creatures quickly that can help you gain enough experience during several battles. A low level hero cannot make the difference if he gains one level. The player needs an army strong enough to suffer little damage in combat rather than a weak army rallied by an experienced hero.
I'd prefer experience in special occasions and in the late of the game, provided that the gold is plenty.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 26 Jun 2010, 11:32

jigsaw2008 wrote:When the game starts you always lack both experience and gold.
When the game finishes you always have your hero enough experienced that the chest cannot help you and the gold is not a problem because you have enough.
I think at the start of the game the gold can help you build your town rapidly and so you can hire level 7 creatures quickly that can help you gain enough experience during several battles. A low level hero cannot make the difference if he gains one level. The player needs an army strong enough to suffer little damage in combat rather than a weak army rallied by an experienced hero.
I'd prefer experience in special occasions and in the late of the game, provided that the gold is plenty.
say what? most of the time I don't even buy all the units the difference between having advanced or expert destructive magic can be quite huge
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 26 Jun 2010, 13:53

easy choice: if you need gold, pick gold, if you need experience, pick experience.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 27 Jun 2010, 12:53

Ojcar wrote:easy choice: if you need gold, pick gold, if you need experience, pick experience.
Later on, this is the rule, but early on, when you don't know the abundance level of resources, you don't know what you need. That was the point of the question! B-)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 27 Jun 2010, 14:15

You know, I am always "in a rush" to build my capitol first, so I am calculating if how much money I need. Usually I pick Experience:
- when it offers only 500XP - pick the gold;
- when offers 1000XP - check your money and see how much you'll need before building the capitol (still like 90% of the time I pick the XP);
- 1500XP I always pick;

Smt. like that.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 27 Jun 2010, 17:06

parcaleste wrote:You know, I am always "in a rush" to build my capitol first, so I am calculating if how much money I need. Usually I pick Experience:
- when it offers only 500XP - pick the gold;
- when offers 1000XP - check your money and see how much you'll need before building the capitol (still like 90% of the time I pick the XP);
- 1500XP I always pick;

Smt. like that.
I do the same pretty much
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”