The Football (Soccer) Topic

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 04 Apr 2010, 09:24

I'll be very brief, but I just wanna say for yesterday's match against Wolve:

BENDTNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRR!!!!!!!!!! :hoo: :hoo: :hoo: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Apr 2010, 21:52

Bendtner scored again today. Against Spurs. ;|

But it doesn't matter. :)

Because Danny Rose scored first. :-D

A screamer from 30 yards. :hail:

And then Gareth Bale scored too. :oex:

And apart from Bendtner's 86th minute fumble, Gomes kept everything out. :applause:

So that means ... ? :beg:

:gong: TOTTENHAM BEAT ARSENAL 2-1 !!! :loll: :oex: :applause:

And that means ... :lolu: Gooners are likely to be out of the race for the title :tonguehands: and we're still in the fight for fourth place! :oex:

It is ours! Ours, I say! Bring it on! COYS! :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 May 2010, 21:03

SPURS ARE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!! :-D

*off to celebrate*
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 06 May 2010, 11:18

tc Twente won the dutch championship :)
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Jun 2010, 10:19

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 21 Jun 2010, 12:29

That video had the flavor of an old McDonalds commercial:

1. Receive the free kick
2. Pass it to yourself over your head
3. Strike with your left foot, taking the ball midair
4. Over the goalkeeper's head
5. Off the far post

Nothin' but net. :D
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jun 2010, 08:38

Ethric wrote:I never understood how that works... got a short explanation?
Yeah, each continent has been given a certain number of the 32 slots at the WC, and each of the six FIFA confederations staged their own qualifiers accordingly: AFC (Asia), CAF (Africa), CONCACAF (North/Central America and Caribbean), CONMEBOL (South America), OFC (Oceania), and UEFA (Europe). So the European countries play against each other for a certain number of places, and don't face the Asian or South American teams until the actual WC.

Now, there are more teams in continents like Europe than other places, so the competition is stiffer. That is why you'll sometimes see teams in the WC that are somewhat weaker than teams that failed to qualify; Sweden, Turkey and the Czech Republic, for instance, are probably better than teams like Honduras and Australia. That said, all the teams in the WC have some business there; New Zealand were impressive against Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_ ... lification

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jun 2010, 14:48

How does one not get that?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Jun 2010, 19:27

Small addendum to Kalah's post: OFC only has half a spot. The best team from there face the fifth best team from AFC, which has the other half.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 22 Jun 2010, 21:51

For a sec I couldn't get how that "half a spot" goes together with both Australia & New Zealand qualifying. Then I checked Kalah's link to find out as of 2006 Australians felt they are more "at home" within the Asian federation rather than the one of Oceania... Makes sense, considering the increased amount of south-east Asians they've been getting recently. :p
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jun 2010, 19:10

FC Lyn went bankrupt today. First time a big club in Norway has gone bust.

Lyn is a big, traditional club from the Norwegian capital, and has roots far back into Norwegian football history. It's been years since they were any good, though, and last year they were relegated from the top division. With the credit crunch, they were on the brink of bankruptcy for half a year. Total soap opera. Never-ending. Most of the players were sold to keep the club alive, and around New Year, they looked to be in the clear. Today, though, it became clear that the club would not be able to get enough money to ensure long-term stability, and the board decided to declare the club bankrupt.

Lyn will start over in Division 8 - the lowest level in Norway, all employees and players are terminated, and I really hope this will serve as a proper lesson to all the other clubs and players: The party that has lasted for over a decade is now at an end.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

CL baby

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Aug 2010, 21:00

:-D :oex: TOTTENHAM ARE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE! :applause: :applause: :hail:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2010, 19:21

Equalizer in min 7 of extra time... which was 4 min... way to go mister referee.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Sep 2010, 19:37

Which match are you talking about? What's going on? :)

Tottenham pummeled Dutch champions Twente 4-1 in the CL yesterday, so I've been walking around at school in my Spurs shirt today. :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Oct 2010, 11:19

Kalah wrote:Which match are you talking about? What's going on? :)
This: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/ma ... index.html

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Oct 2010, 16:07

Ah. Yes. Quite.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 18:19

Not that our team wasn't retarded just kicking the ball to the other side of the field... and spending 90% of the 2nd half on the defence.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Oct 2010, 19:37

Well, at least it's not Pat Bonner in 1990.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 20:00

Too young to remember that, of course back then we actually played well the entire match... man, where the 90's so much better for our football.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Oct 2010, 20:37

If you can, get hold of some clips of 1990 WC football. Try to watch entire matches. You'll notice that the pace is much slower, but that's to be expected. What you will also notice, however, is the repeated back-passing: keepers dropping the ball a bit, picking it back up, bouncing it a bit, dropping it, picking it back up again, throwing it out to a defender, who immediately plays it back when he is put under any sort of pressure ... and then the goalkeeper starts his little ritual once more ... :disagree:

Man, I love that rule.

Return to “Campfire”