Final Consensus: Was Heroes V a step in the right direction?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Was Heroes V a step in the right direction?

Yes
64%
No, It was a step backwards from the NWC era
36%

Total votes: 72

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 30 May 2010, 16:58

The question is "Was it a step in the right direction?". And the answer is "yes".

If I elaborate a bit more my answer, I would say "It was a poor step in the right direction". But still in the right direction.

However, I have not played the game for long time now, but I have came back to Heroes III several times. This won't be a game I will remember in the years to come. But it was the game that saved the franchise, so I suppose we should be grateful for it.

So as you see, mixed feelings.

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 10 Dec 2010, 21:55

I've had the gold edition lying around for 2 years now, finally decided to play it through.

The good:

Fun game play (most important)
Skill system
Fancy 3d stuff (legs, boobs and beards)
Random spell casting animations while talking with closed mouths
Hero somewhat in combat
Online dueling is great

The bad:

So much Hollywood cheese and cliches in this game, that made my blood boil, started skipping cut sceens really fast
That whole initiative & speed non sense
The camera, missed so much stuff early on (highlight objects anyone?)
Dumbing down artifacts and hero inventory
Turns take too long even when you speed everything up to max

Conclusion:
Was a fun experience, but I won't play custom maps or the campaigns again. I'm a homm 4 fan and think that was the best one of the series, followed closely by homm 3 and 2. I'll try homm 6 though. ;D

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 11 Dec 2010, 01:33

I presume we couldn't expect a better game from ubisoft than what we've got. If you look at their other titles, all are money oriented. Made to attract people with their shine, but never intended for a long relation. Too bad the veterans are the one to suffer, if for the editor, if for the game. Simply no one can expect a company to put it's soul in a game if it has none. NWC could do it, it's like something you do for yourself, with care.
But I think the game wasn't a step back, and neither was it forward... it was a soulless reincarnation of HoMM III driven by greed.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 11 Dec 2010, 02:21

Overall, I would say yes. It's hard to play the older versions now, because of some of the new features. It is a pity they made the game such a "hog" though. My new PC runs it pretty well, for the most part. I can play the XL maps without too much AI wait time.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2010, 13:17

Variol wrote:Overall, I would say yes. It's hard to play the older versions now, because of some of the new features.
H4 had a way better UI... only thing H5 had was the skill system...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 12 Dec 2010, 17:51

ThunderTitan wrote:
Variol wrote:Overall, I would say yes. It's hard to play the older versions now, because of some of the new features.
H4 had a way better UI... only thing H5 had was the skill system...
I think a big + is the threat level indicator for me. It saves a lot of reloading.

I just played a little bit of H4 this week. The problem is that, everything on the world map is blurred together. All the individual items on the map look nice, but there seems to be not even contrast between them.

I also noticed that items are really hidden behind some terrain features. I kept trying to move the screen to see them better. :)

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 12 Dec 2010, 18:35

The thread level made the game more noobified in my opinion. Back in the days I knew exactly what my army could beat and what not without it. Now I'm completely dependent. :(
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Dec 2010, 18:39

You don't have to pay attention to the threat level... I don't... you can beat enemies considered by the AI to be superior to your army, and at times you can do it with ease... that's why this is a strategy game. To outmaneuver the odds.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 12 Dec 2010, 19:16

Mirez wrote:The thread level made the game more noobified in my opinion. Back in the days I knew exactly what my army could beat and what not without it. Now I'm completely dependent. :(
junky! :D

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 12 Dec 2010, 19:16

Muszka wrote:You don't have to pay attention to the threat level... I don't... you can beat enemies considered by the AI to be superior to your army, and at times you can do it with ease... that's why this is a strategy game. To outmaneuver the odds.
Sure you don't have to, but is a lot easier avoiding neutrals until they are considered a moderate thread (which means no losses). Like already mentioned it saves a lot of reloading which you would have to do if you had to estimate it yourself/take risks.
Last edited by Mirez on 12 Dec 2010, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 12 Dec 2010, 19:17

Muszka wrote:You don't have to pay attention to the threat level... I don't... you can beat enemies considered by the AI to be superior to your army, and at times you can do it with ease... that's why this is a strategy game. To outmaneuver the odds.
Yes, of course, anyone can do that. But the meter gives some idea of what one will be in for. :proud:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Dec 2010, 22:50

Alternate upgrades did it for me, so yes.

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 20 Dec 2010, 22:56

I like the idea of alternate upgrades, however it's poorly executed. 1 of the 2 always being the better choice.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Dec 2010, 15:42

Wasn't this forum supposed to be the anti-H5 one, in opposition to the OtherForum?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 27 Mar 2011, 14:09

I've truly enjoyed this game and its 2 expansions, and I do know what bad games are like. Therefore this game was "a step in the right direction."

Regarding the initiative vs speed... This is not a game design problem, but merely a game balancing problem.

Simply give the "slow" creatures a higher initiative but even lower foot speed, and your entire complaint regarding them being statues vs tanks, is solved.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Mar 2011, 15:08

ThunderTitan wrote:Wasn't this forum supposed to be the anti-H5 one, in opposition to the OtherForum?!
No, we're just supposed to create more profound atmosphere. As it can be derived from "Round Table & For Enthusiasts" B-)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Apr 2011, 19:15

Pol wrote: No, we're just supposed to create more profound atmosphere. As it can be derived from "Round Table & For Enthusiasts" B-)
That's not what i was hearing on the HC a while back after H5 was released...

xztowel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Right Direction

Unread postby xztowel » 06 Apr 2011, 07:07

HOMM 5 was great step in a good direction. Most people have complained about the 3d aspect or its "too complicated". I happen to like these additions the most as it brings the HOMM into the modern ages of computer games without breaking what i loved about it as a younger lad.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”