Ubisoft Report 2009-10 Results

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 May 2010, 11:11

In <a href="/http://pressextranet.ubisoft.com/EMEA/N ... ults">this release</a>, Ubisoft have published their <a href="/http://pressextranet.ubisoft.com/EMEA/N ... >full-year economic results</a> for 2009-10. In short, it has been a tough year for Ubi, as it has been for the gaming industry as a whole. Last year they could show to a net profit, this year, they've lost money.

<i>"The global economic crisis had a pronounced impact on the video game industry in 2009, which contracted by nearly 10% year-on-year. Ubisoft's sales were hit particularly hard, falling 18% over the full year despite a stabilization in the second half of the year (...) We forecast a return to profitable growth in 2010-11 with positive cash flow generation ..."</i>

- Yves Guillemot, CEO

Here's the breakdown:

<ul><li>Full-year sales: €871 million (€1.057,9 million last year)

<li>Current operating loss : €59,6 million (€128,7 <i>profit</i> last year)

<li>Net loss: €44 million (€68,8 <i>profit</i> last year)</ul>

The complete report can be found <a href="/http://pressextranet.ubisoft.com/EMEA/N ... x">here</a>. If you're an economist, feel free to read the whole thing and then <i>not</i> tell me about it.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1274440315
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 21 May 2010, 12:04

If you've ever wondered why we feel like we don't matter to Ubisoft, the report will tell you. PC sales are only 8% of their total revenue. The Might and Magic games are a small fraction of that 8%.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 May 2010, 12:25

I bet that it's not only the crisis that did it, it's also their DRM.
Also, this is very similar to 3DO before their bankruptcy. "We will return to profitability ASAP".

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 21 May 2010, 15:30

Looking at a larger economic crisis, namely the latest meltdown in Greece and some other countries there, it's taking the latest surge in the US economy down with it. The US stock market is sinking like a rock once again, because of investments shareholders have in Europe.
Couple that with Ubisofts plan for future games to be handled with DRM, and I don't see where the projected profits are going to come from.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 21 May 2010, 15:58

A little wishful thinking never hurt nobody :rofl:
Corelanis used baton pass The Heroes Round Table sent out [the poster below me]

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 21 May 2010, 22:10

Corelanis wrote:A little wishful thinking never hurt nobody :rofl:
Ok how about UBI goes bankrupt and a good game company buys the MM franchise. :beg:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 24 May 2010, 02:00

They sold games for €1057 MILLIONS last year and

€871 MILLIONS this year

HOW THE #%&! can you lose money if you sell THAT much?? Incredible!

I bet their management (snobby OVERPAYED guys in suits) is too large and gets paid too much. Whatever happened to two guys making a game in his garage (or ONE guy making Kings Bounty in his living room :) ?)

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 May 2010, 03:15

Because it costs a heckuva lot of money to sell that sheer volume of games. At that level you can be sure that management's salary is a small fraction of their total costs. It's sad, but two guys in their garage can't afford what it would cost to market the next Half Life or whatever.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 May 2010, 16:37

Yeah, marketing... the real reason the games industry is dying...

I heard that MW2 or some game like it had 10x the marketing budget compared to what it cost to actually make it...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

japol
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby japol » 25 May 2010, 09:02

They will have their new DRM in action for the whole next fiscal year,i'm sure it will help them bounce back...

Loco Blutaxt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Loco Blutaxt » 25 May 2010, 14:25

It doesen't matter to me. The earlier they're down and out the earlier the Heroes licence is free for others to buy. I will not buy any UBI game anyway as long as they keep hold of their new DRM! No Heroes VI, no Assassins Creed, ... nothing!
If you're a German speaking fanboy of the Heroes series also visit Drachenwald

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 25 May 2010, 15:14

You may hate ubisoft but if they go bankrupt there's a fairly good chance no one will buy the might and magic franchise from them, seeing as how its a old declining series that doesn't have a snowballs chance in hawaii when compared to Ubisofts other newer more profitable franchises. :disagree:
Corelanis used baton pass The Heroes Round Table sent out [the poster below me]

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 May 2010, 17:26

Corelanis wrote:You may hate ubisoft but if they go bankrupt there's a fairly good chance no one will buy the might and magic franchise from them, seeing as how its a old declining series that doesn't have a snowballs chance in hawaii when compared to Ubisofts other newer more profitable franchises. :disagree:
Even that would be better than Ubi's excuse for HoMM games ;|

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Moragauth » 09 Jun 2010, 15:02

"Yeah, marketing... the real reason the games industry is dying..."

*sigh* More tired whining about marketing, as if products will just sell themselves and automatically appeal to consumers when there's a million competing products out there.

/rofl

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jun 2010, 01:29

Yeah, because we need 10 times as much money to go into marketing then in the game...

But yeah, competing products rely on marketing instead of quality to sell... and it even sadder.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “News”