Movies

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 18 May 2010, 00:06

How about spreading sand all over the place? :D
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 18 May 2010, 09:51

Swinging a machete at random people will also add to the atmosphere. :D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 18 May 2010, 11:05

About a month ago I bought the three-disc special version of the magnificent German biopic/drama/documentary/WWII movie called "Speer und Er". Also known as "The Devil's Architect", this is a story about the rise and fall, fame and crimes of Albert Speer, Nazi Fuhrer Adolf Hitler's personal architect, main architect of the Third Reich and perhaps more important still, the Minister of Armaments 1942-1945.

Speer was found guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity. And on October 1, 1946, he was sentenced to 20 years' imprisonment by the Nurnberg Tribunal, and served almost all of those long years in Spandau, (West) Berlin. (Speer served his prison term also in Nurnberg 1946-1947).

Those of you who share my interest in the Third Reich, and the total moral bankruptcy of human morality manifested within the said regime's crimes and the very nature of a totalitarian leadership itself, will find this movie enjoyable for it has it all. The moral dilemma of one's actions and choices, the harsh moral climate and reality that we, like Speer, sometimes stand as wittness to but refuse to see it and take no action... This movie simply summs it up. Are we brave enough to stand up to evil and say no, and free ourselves from tyranny even when, as Speer put it: "It's hard to tell who is the Devil himself when he has his hand on your shoulder".

It's worth noting here that when old Speer was asked would he do things othwerwise if he had the power to go back and change what happened, he said no. He would still go through it all and "re-play" his part. I'm afraid I am not morally a strong person. Would I, like him, "see no evil", "hear no evil" and just pretend all I do is engage in artistic projects for the Fuhrer?
After all, Hitler praised him as "genius", and Speer felt proud by hearing this from a head of state.

Anyway, my historical review and analysis aside, go and watch the movie "Speer und Er". I promise you won't be disappointed. The extras themselves are worth it alone. Newsclips, interviews, de-classified documents, commentary by his children etc. My rating: 4.5/5

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 18 May 2010, 14:51

Metathron wrote:Swinging a machete at random people will also add to the atmosphere. :D
Haha, also (while avoiding the Dagger of Time) people will get thirsty at some point, so they are going to love having one of these hygenic save spots to quench their thirst!

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 18 May 2010, 22:57

On a serious note though, I suggest getting a hold of some nice persian looking carpets, some pillows and maybe like...umm...bellydancers or whatever it's called. Or hang some seethrough fabric (sorry, my feverish brain can't remember the actual name) from the ceiling... something like that. Maybe some big baskets like this (ignore the creepy whateveritis that's peeking out): http://www.cscollectables.co.uk/snakebasket.gif

And sand :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 May 2010, 06:16

Some carpets on the wall should do nicely. And the water fountain is a nice idea.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 May 2010, 08:54

I''ll take some of them belly dancers.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 21 May 2010, 22:33

Good Ideas folks! Thanks. I've got a "magic carpet" that we used for Aladdin and a lot of 'Arabian' costumes. They want some manikins dressed up... so I'll have to set them on the carpet and do the pillows thing. Wonder if I can dig up a fountain that doesn't have skulls on it???

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 22 May 2010, 00:09

I'm leaning towards the belly dancers. And throw in a few handmaidens while you're at it! :D

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 22 May 2010, 01:22

I also suggest adding some torches, urns, vases, etc. And you shouldn't forget the famous trademark of PoP, the Hourglass!

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 27 May 2010, 11:07

The theater manager, Miss Betty, is working on that hour glass. I carried over my divan yesterday along with a couple of seated manikins to relax on it. I have costumes from the last school play of Aladdin to put on the manikins and the staff. Lots of fun, bright colored turbans. I also made 12 large, brightly colored "Pillow" covers. The theater people are supposed to be stuffing them with stale popcorn. (HEY! The most expensive part of a 'throw pillow' is the stuffing!) I forgot the wigs for the manikins and one arm, so I'll have to go back again tonight and fix them up. Betty has a desert scene painted on a back drop and she put a little 'tray' below it full of sand. It's cool, but it has "cowboy" silhouettes on it and the sand box is way to small. I don't think anyone will see it.

Oh! The 'tent' turned out very cool. Betty had a portable tent frame and cover that is normally used for outdoor parties. I gave her a bunch of fabric and she did a wonderful job draping it. That looks very cool. Some of the employees brought in things like a wrought iron bench with bright colored pillows, plant stands with ferns, tall wicker baskets... all sorts of odd stuff. The collection is starting to look nice.

I'll post photos from the opening night.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 27 May 2010, 13:06

Sounds cool. I'll be looking forward to it. :)

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 29 May 2010, 02:26

I totally forgot to take my camera to the theater... But Miss Betty said she would give me copies of all of her photos. Everyone looked so good! And the patrons were having a wonderful time. The manager over heard one person saying "I live on the other side of town, but I always come here on opening night because it's way more fun." She felt good that someone appreciated all the work that everyone did.

BTW - We did not see Prince of Persia. We saw Shrek. It was SO SWEET!!!!

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 May 2010, 18:57

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Going to see Prince of Persia on thursday...very excited! :oex:
Don't be, it's nothing to write home about. That said it is entertaining if a bit too predictable.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 30 May 2010, 06:58

The Prince and the girl don't talk regularly to each other. They just throw oneliners at each other all day long. That's really lame, made me hate their love-thingy... :disagree:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 May 2010, 06:30

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:The Prince and the girl don't talk regularly to each other.
And that my friends is the basis of any successful relationship...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 31 May 2010, 10:44

In "man world", that works.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jun 2010, 13:14

You women and your crazy ideas... why do you always make us either lie to you or piss you off... there's a reason why we don't talk about our feeling you know...

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 03 Jun 2010, 23:51

It doesn't take ladies to long to figure men out. You basically all want the same things... Food, Sex, Toys, and the Remote. Just not always in that order.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2010, 09:35

So the whole "talking about our feelings" thing is just your way of torturing us?!... that's almost worthy of respect.

Return to “Campfire”