Looking for a new game

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Looking for a new game

Unread postby cortisan » 04 May 2010, 10:15

Hey guys, ive been really keen for a new RPG recently; im looking for something like might and magic or final fantasy, with decent story, gameplay and character development.

Thanks in advance

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 04 May 2010, 14:25

I haven been enjoying The Witcher. It pretty good...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cortisan » 04 May 2010, 14:27

darknessfood wrote:I haven been enjoying The Witcher. It pretty good...
What games are similar in terms of gameplay to The Witcher? thanks for the reply

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 04 May 2010, 16:07

Well, if you're looking for a game along the lines of The Witcher, then:

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 04 May 2010, 17:46

Rofl

1. Wieśmin and ME series have two different gameplay styles.
2. MEs are not RPGs - they are shooters with some RPG elements.

I am playing lately Darkensang and IMO it is nice RPG.
Also heard about Dragon Age: Origin is also nice but personaly I have enough of NWN1 gameplay and story (which was copied in nearly all later Bioware games).

From older games I can propose:
1. Arcanum (steampunk)
2. Wizardry 8 (earlier games can be too old for play by most players)
3. Septerra Core (something like FF)
4. Wizards and Warriors (similarto Wizardry)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 May 2010, 18:46

I got bored with The Whitcher some way through, for some reason. Seemed decent though. ME 1 and 2 are good for a playthrough or two each, at least if you're not in the "Booh, it's not a proper RPG, I won't touch it"-crowd. Some fine moments of gameplay and character interaction/development there.

Dragon Age: Origins is good, but like Avonu, I don't much care for the NWN-style of game (actually that might explain why I got bored with the Whitcher, it too is similar in form to NWN). My last save is at the end, but never finished it. It's ok though.

For my part, NWN-style games are too in-between. Either I want a proper top-down old school game, or the full-out shooter-RPG like ME.

So for my part, I'd only recommend a go at Mass Effect (2) as far as new games are concerned. A better advice might be to pick up one of the classics you might have missed, if any. Fallout 2 has a new version of the restoration pack out now (check out the No mutants allowed-forums, if interested).
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 04 May 2010, 20:22

The Witcher and Mass Effect are both Action RPGs, as far as genres go. Of course both will have differences in gameplay (the major one being the combat system).

People treat Mass Effect games as shooters, because the combat in ME is "too streamlined" to make it a compelling RPG game.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 May 2010, 20:29

Actually ME 2 have a sort of paper rock scissors-approach when it comes to weapons and powers to use against armour, shields and barriers, respectively. So it's slightly more evolved than a standard shooter. I like it, but it has next to no replay value IMO.
- Duke

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 04 May 2010, 20:57

I get your point, though (regarding replay value) the same can be said about many other games (including The Witcher). A more complex fighting system can also turn off certain players from re-playing it, as some may find it frustrating.

cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cortisan » 05 May 2010, 01:43

Thanks for the replies guys, although i should have specified in my original post im looking for a more medieval style rpg (i.e. swords and magic) and i have dragon age: origins which is decent although its something i find i need to have a good session in order to get into it. I have also played wizardry 8 which was good although got pretty annoying towards the end with the battle sequence.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 May 2010, 10:23

TheUndeadKing wrote: People treat Mass Effect games as shooters, because the combat in ME is "too streamlined" to make it a compelling RPG game.
No, they treat it as a shooter because it is one when it comes to combat, with some % calculations on top... this isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't replace classic RPG gameplay.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 05 May 2010, 22:53

ThunderTitan wrote:as long as it doesn't replace classic RPG gameplay
Which is the never ending problem of hybrid RPGs, IMO. It just doesn't work, a hybrid RPG will only end up being a very good & enjoyable game (which is perfectly fine), but will probably never offer the classic RPG gameplay hardcore RPG fans wish for.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 06 May 2010, 07:02

Both NWN and Dragon Age have Baldur's Gate's combat system, if that is not good enough then nothing is.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 06 May 2010, 16:01

Baldurs Gate's combat system is not the same as in NWN and DA:O. But it is better.
- Duke

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 06 May 2010, 16:43

Ethric wrote:Baldurs Gate's combat system is not the same as in NWN and DA:O. But it is better.
It is very close in general terms: real time and pause with group combat. But if you want to go to details, I prefer the newer ones a lot more. NWN 2 uses newer (and better) D&D rules and biggest advantage gameplay wise is that you can chain commands. DA:O has flanking included and melee part of the battle is a lot more immersive not to mention the tactics system, where you can easily tailor the AI for the party.
Thundermaps

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 06 May 2010, 16:48

Ah, well, I was refering to the actual style, visual implementation and control, not the rules. Where I prefer Baldurs Gate. But the actual rules and mechanics are better in NWN IMO too.
- Duke

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 May 2010, 02:49

I'm also looking for a couple of games to buy and play. Does anyone play God of War 3? I was willingly to buy some action games this time, as soon as my new computer gets home. I was wondering whether to buy Resident Evil 5 and Left 4 Dead. There's this Dead Space as well...I want to fret! :-D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 07 May 2010, 21:01

Dead Space certainly has the most ugliest critters around, but I don't think it is very good action game since controls are rather clunky. Bioshock would be better and has horror-theme as well. REE 5 I've never tried, nor any other REE game for that matter. And to be honest, I probably never will.

Also, I'd advice buying Left 4 Dead 2 rather than the first one. That game is a lot better with the melee weapons, not to mention the numerous other improvements. You could also consider Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, single player may be short but there's never a dull moment and co-op is good fun. Sadly the multiplayer is rather lacking compared to first Modern Warfare, mainly due to lack of dedicated servers. Crysis is still nice eye-candy and can be bought for bargain price, not to mention it is rather good as a game as well.

Batman Arkham Asylum is excellent, and one of the best games of last year (only Dragon Age: Origins was clearly better IMO).
Thundermaps

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 May 2010, 21:21

I see, thanks for the advice.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 07 May 2010, 22:39

Looking for action games? Besides the already recommended ones (like Batman: Arkham Asylum, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 etc) I recommend these:

Prototype
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Borderlands

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”