MM7-artifacts/relics

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

MM7-artifacts/relics

Unread postby Jymbob » 01 May 2010, 09:30

I was going toying with an old MM7 savegame I found.
Apperently this savegame is from Eeofel and made just after all the titans-dragons and devils are killed (my party consists of 3xcleric and one sorcerer, evil so I suspect I amargeddoned them all down, dunno).
Anyway:
When picking up corpses of dragons and blood titans I realized:
1. There must be a certain number of artifacts/relics one can get, after a time I cannot seems to get more of those.
2. Maybe the game lays out what artifacts/relics are possible aswell. Since I always seems to see the same kinds and alot I never get. And I have toyed with this for hours.

Can anyone comfirm that?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Re: MM7-artifacts/relics

Unread postby tolich » 01 May 2010, 09:41

Jymbob wrote:1. There must be a certain number of artifacts/relics one can get, after a time I cannot seems to get more of those.
Yes that limit exists, when you reach it, the only source of artifacts/relics is strong chests.
Jymbob wrote:2. Maybe the game lays out what artifacts/relics are possible aswell. Since I always seems to see the same kinds and alot I never get. And I have toyed with this for hours.
More over, it is the 'Artifact pool' that guarants that any artifact or relic come only once. When you empty this pool, you'll find neither artifacts nor relics.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 01 May 2010, 09:43

1. There must be a certain number of artifacts/relics one can get, after a time I cannot seems to get more of those.
It is so, because some artifacts are preset in chests and so.
2. Maybe the game lays out what artifacts/relics are possible aswell. Since I always seems to see the same kinds and alot I never get. And I have toyed with this for hours.
think no, you can sell spare artifcats and get new ones i think. ones you cant get are most likely preset in some dungeon.(although i once managed to get 2 Pucks)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 01 May 2010, 13:05

tress wrote:think no, you can sell spare artifcats and get new ones i think. ones you cant get are most likely preset in some dungeon.(although i once managed to get 2 Pucks)
No, selling doesn't seem to change anything.

You can get up to 13 generated artifacts and you can't get the same one twice. Non-random artifacts placed in chests aren't included - you can get the same artifact from monster or random chest even after you got it from an obelisk chest etc.
In MM6 there's no limit on total number of artifacts you can find, but the same artifact can't be generated twice as well.
In MM8 it seems all artifacts can be found and probability is much higher than in MM6.Again, no artifact can be generated 2 times.

Though, I may be wrong. Maybe finding a custom artifact also makes it impossible to find again generated.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 01 May 2010, 15:33

GrayFace wrote:
tress wrote:think no, you can sell spare artifcats and get new ones i think. ones you cant get are most likely preset in some dungeon.(although i once managed to get 2 Pucks)
No, selling doesn't seem to change anything.

You can get up to 13 generated artifacts and you can't get the same one twice. Non-random artifacts placed in chests aren't included - you can get the same artifact from monster or random chest even after you got it from an obelisk chest etc.
In MM6 there's no limit on total number of artifacts you can find, but the same artifact can't be generated twice as well.
In MM8 it seems all artifacts can be found and probability is much higher than in MM6.Again, no artifact can be generated 2 times.

Though, I may be wrong. Maybe finding a custom artifact also makes it impossible to find again generated.

In Might and Magic VIII, I got that bow with the exploding effect twice. And in Might and Magic VI, I think I got Mordred twice, but I might be wrong on that.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 01 May 2010, 18:10

ok, well, I tried to sell some of the artifacts, but then they can be found again, odd.
Anyway now we are on the subject:
In MM7, which chests include artifacts/relics:
1 in Chankles labertory
1 in Devils Lair
1 in Dark Temple (allthough not always I think)
2 in Obelisk flower/chest
Hmm, cant think of more atm..

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 01 May 2010, 19:42

jeff4815 wrote:In Might and Magic VI, I think I got Mordred twice, but I might be wrong on that.
The same here. Firstly from a Gold Dragon in the Sands, then from the chest in the Dragoons Keep.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 02 May 2010, 11:12

Jymbob wrote:ok, well, I tried to sell some of the artifacts, but then they can be found again, odd.
Anyway now we are on the subject:
In MM7, which chests include artifacts/relics:
1 in Chankles labertory
1 in Devils Lair
1 in Dark Temple (allthough not always I think)
2 in Obelisk flower/chest
Hmm, cant think of more atm..
4 in arcomage chest
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 02 May 2010, 12:18

Macros the Black wrote:4 in arcomage chest
Nope, these items are neither artifacts nor relics. They are special items, so you ever cannot sell them.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 May 2010, 13:05

GrayFace wrote:In MM6 there's no limit on total number of artifacts you can find, but the same artifact can't be generated twice as well.
I thinkthat is not true.
I played MM6 several times and IIRC max number of random artifacts was 13 too. There are few artifacts which are reward for quests so they make you think there is no limit.

Check Hidden Treasure topic for more details about relics and artifacts in MM games.

And yes - in MM8 and MM9 you can get all artifacts.

Spidercider
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

relics and artifacts in mm6

Unread postby Spidercider » 05 May 2010, 00:02

Actually, in MM6, I exploited the heck out of the dragons by reloading after picking up items when the dragon didn't disappear. I think I got several duplicate relics and artifacts, if memory serves correctly, not just Mordred. So, I'm glad that they have that limit in 7; makes it more sensible, IMO. I'm thinking about buying 7. I loved 6 and thought that 7 might be most like 6...

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 May 2010, 01:07

Avonu wrote:I thinkthat is not true.
I played MM6 several times and IIRC max number of random artifacts was 13 too. There are few artifacts which are reward for quests so they make you think there is no limit.
In MM6 probability of finding an artifact decreases when you have more artifacts. If item generator chooses to make you an artifact, it chooses one of 30 randomly. If party already has that artifact, a normal item is generated instead. So, getting all artifacts is very hard. I never counted artifacts, so I can't tell if I ever had more than 13.
In MM8 item generator always picks an artifact from those artifacts that weren't found, so probability of finding an artifact is constant.
Spidercider wrote:I'm thinking about buying 7. I loved 6 and thought that 7 might be most like 6...
Yes, it is. They are very close in all aspects and about equally awesome.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 05 May 2010, 01:31

Grayface, in my most recent MM6 game, I kept on slaughtering dragons and titans and kept getting artifacts/relics at a constant rate. Maybe because I didn't keep them on my party, but kept them in a stash somewhere in a dungeon?

forbjok
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby forbjok » 14 May 2010, 10:04

How does the limit work in MM7?
Is that just how many you can have at once, or can you only get that many ever, even if you sell the previous ones?

And what about the only one of each rule. Does that mean if you get a specific artifact from a random drop, then sell it, you can never get another one again? Or is it just that you can't get another one as long as you have one?

Return to “Might and Magic”