Heroes 6 wishlist (draft)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
TeeMan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TeeMan » 18 Feb 2010, 09:03

Most stuff I would want is:

I read in an earlier post that different upgrades for different towns! like if you upgrade an archer in a demon town it'll get flame stuff, idk but it's a good idea!

A much, much easier map editor (the map editor says it's done, but i can't play it :/ )

Possibillity of choosing if ya'd like to keep the new-captured city or burn it, if you play like haven, it's pretty hard to keep a Academy town, etc...
(By burning down i mean like ToTe C3M3 i think it is, when Gotai goes around and burns haven towns to the ground :D)

I don't understand why ppl complain about the H5 graphics, it's awesome, don't change! :P

Bugs! eg. my minimap is in the upper left corner, but the frame is still in the left corner...

Excuse my english, hope it's understandable (:

Oh!! more MM's, it's very hard to build that perfect hero!!

TeeMan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TeeMan » 18 Feb 2010, 09:03

Most stuff I would want is:

I read in an earlier post that different upgrades for different towns! like if you upgrade an archer in a demon town it'll get flame stuff, idk but it's a good idea!

A much, much easier map editor (the map editor says it's done, but i can't play it :/ )

Possibillity of choosing if ya'd like to keep the new-captured city or burn it, if you play like haven, it's pretty hard to keep a Academy town, etc...
(By burning down i mean like ToTe C3M3 i think it is, when Gotai goes around and burns haven towns to the ground :D)

I don't understand why ppl complain about the H5 graphics, it's awesome, don't change! :P

Bugs! eg. my minimap is in the upper left corner, but the frame is still in the left corner...

Excuse my english, hope it's understandable (:

Oh!! more MM's, it's very hard to build that perfect hero!!

lumpoor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lumpoor » 21 Mar 2010, 23:34

jigsaw, with a level 30 hero of basically any kind, vs an army 10 times bigger it's usually easy to win.

What I'd like for H6 is for the difficulty of the campaigns to be unchoosable again. I didn't like how you could choose the difficulty in H5 for campaigns too. If the map makers want a map to be easy, it should be easy, and if they want it to be hard, it should be hard. Completing a level should be a feat.

In H5, I hate it when I chose a hard difficulty, play a long time without meeting the enemy, then seeing the enemy has a much bigger army making it impossible to win unless I restart. Then, I either need to restart with the same difficulty, with the risk of it happening again, wasting even more time, or I choose an easier difficulty, which is kinda boring, and makes me feel like cheating and being a noob.

So it's a hard decision. It'd be better if there only was one difficulty, and there are no choices. So if you lose, you don't blame the difficulty you chose, you blame your incompetence. And every time you complete the level you feel like you did it for real.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Mar 2010, 15:12

lumpoor wrote:jigsaw, with a level 30 hero of basically any kind, vs an army 10 times bigger it's usually easy to win.
If you have mind control or uber summoning skills maybe...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

sansa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sansa » 05 Apr 2010, 20:25

Gold would be finally explored to the end and extinct , so new money is forged in Silver.
Apparently, same destiny took gems, crystals, sulfur and mercury, instead of them, a new mines of emeralds, sapphires, rubies and diamonds are started to be explored...

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 06 Apr 2010, 07:18

A) gold is a concept rather than an actuality (gold represents money).
b) emerald, sapphire, ruby and diamond, are all forms of gemstone (which are technically also crystals).

What you COULD do is replace Gems with Incense, which would IMO be more fitting for Haven and Sylvan than anything currently on offer.

sansa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sansa » 08 Apr 2010, 11:32

Incense for Haven, but Amber for elves. And both are resin.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 08 Apr 2010, 18:57

So what do we gain by adding/renaming resource types?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 08 Apr 2010, 19:40

sansa wrote:Incense for Haven, but Amber for elves. And both are resin.
Okay, rename it amber then.
Kristo wrote:So what do we gain by adding/renaming resource types?
Well A) we eliminate the mucked up crystal/gems thing, and B) we get a precious resource that doesn't come out of the ground. It may only be small, but I personally think it'll look a bit better than what we currently have.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 09 Apr 2010, 12:11

Ok, but that's being different for the sake of being different. We'd still have two common resources and four rare resources, whatever their names. What do you mean by a resource that "doesn't come out of the ground?" You mean like mercury from an Alchemist's Lab? Perhaps you're talking about a resource you have to make (meaning you can't find it naturally)?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 09 Apr 2010, 14:18

Introduction:

First of all, I have to mention that I'm a big Heroes 2 fan. The unique atmosphere matched by no sequel and the story-like feeling are imo what made this game so great. Some like H3 more (though in most cases those are people who were introduced to HOMM by the third game, and therefore felt that H2 was obviously more primitive) but I think that a game in the spirit of HOMM2 with many new features would be unmatched. I'm not going to talk about how H2 is better than its sequels (though at times it may seem so) - but about how some ideas and principals from H2 can make H6 an excellent game, of course alongside with many of my own original thoughts:

Towns:

Aesthetics:

*** Dwellings: I strongly hope that we will be able to see creatures roaming near and about their dwellings, like in H1 (or like in the promotional wallpaper for the academy in H5) . I'm talking about unicorns roaming in their fences, dragons soaring in the skies, wolves cuddling their cubs near their caves, dwarves working near their dwellings, etc.
While it didn't work out so well in H1 (The creatures' motions were too repetitive), with today's modern technology it can be done much better. That will surely make the castles look way more lively and less static.

*** Menus: The landscapes within the castles look good in H5, but eventually one stops enjoying them or even bothers to look at them, and use the fast-menus instead. In order to make the town screen a bit more interactive, I suggest that whenever one clicks on one of the fast menu's buttons (marketplace, hiring creatures, etc.), The camera will quickly fly to that building/dwelling and zoom in.

Gameplay:

*** Town economics: The dependence on buildings that produce income is too great since H3. When one builds a capital, he doesn't really need any gold-mines because his town's income is big enough to let him buy (almost) all the creatures it produces. In H2 each town could produce 1250 gold max (1750 gold of the warlock's town was an exclusion), so the player was encouraged to explore much more, since he could buy barely half (sometimes less) of what his town produced. Finding a gold mine in H2 was a small victory and not just a small bonus.

***Town growth: I would like towns to be developing more slowly. When the player is being able to build the highest creature-dwelling or its "special building" in week 3-4, its grandeur is reduced. I think its great when building an important structure gives the player a feeling of accomplishment (after he worked hard in collecting the right resources and being forced to wait for it), and not taking it for granted. Being forced to depend on the basic buildings at the beginning will bring up new strategies and more dependence on the low-tier creatures, what brings me to the next subject:

Creatures:

Gameplay:

*** Low-tier creatures: Low-tier creatures in H3-4-5 were becoming quite useless once you had high-level creatures. In order to have the army more diversed, and the low-tier creatures more "honorable" (meaning, not just cannon-fodders) low tier-creatures have to be stronger. H5 was in the right direction – while low-tier creatures where quite weak, they had special abilities which were very useful at times. Nonetheless, I think those creatures should simply possess more AS/DS/Damage/HP.

***Highest-tier creatures: highest-tier creatures have to be stronger than in H5 imo: In H2, highest-tier creatures were legendary (opposed to their status in H5) while lower-tier creatures were still useful. I'd like to see this balance in H6: due to the slow development I mentioned earlier, it would work well imo to have very powerful high-level creatures once the player reaches them.

***Upgrades: The option of picking one of 2 available upgrades in H5 is great. That is truly a natural development of Heroes series imo.

Aesthetics:

H5's creature aesthetics were very good imo. Perhaps making high-tier creatures even bigger can work well, but overall the looks in H5 are great.

Heroes:

Aesthetics:

***Hero's Portrait: In H2 a hero's portrait included the face of the hero along with some unique landsape behind him (a mysterious laboratory, stormy sea, castle siege, witch's coven). In my opinion each such picture gave an "epic" feeling and said much more than a 100-letter biography in later sequels. It made the player to feel much more empathy for the hero – from just another name that leads his army it became more like a character you develop in D&D games.

***Adventure map's hero look: It's time we see 2 genders for each class (in the adventure map). Maybe even some different secondary colors for each hero, in order to make them look more like in the portraits and to emphasize their unique nature.

Gameplay:

*** Hero's development: H5 revolutionary skill system was great. This direction should be continued . An improvement could be having less unuseful skills and more powerful skills as the Hero's getting higher levels can be implemented. And of course – I'd like to see a built-in "skill-wheel" instead of using a fan-based one.

*** Army-size cap per hero: This is a very big change which can notably change game experience, and therefore should be handled carefully - though I think it should be considered. Many times in HOMM, a battle's outcome is decided before it even begins due to army sizes of sides involved. Even when facing very strong heroes – sometimes tactics or a hero's level influences only the amount of casualties, not the winning side. Introducing "leadership" as it appears in King's Bounty: Legend (Each creature has "leadership" cost, and the heo has a "leadership" stat which becomes higher as he advances levels. No hero can control all the creatures he can buy) can introduce a whole new experience of strategic planning. Also, cases when you play a single map and your hero, carrying all your available troops, encountering an enemy hero with an army twice as big (and therefore making you instantly lose the game and search for a previously saved game) will become much less common.

Battlefield:

Aesthetics:

*** Battlefield/adventure map relation: While it is implemented in H5 to some extent, I would like to see even more objects on the adventure map which are placed near the area where the fight takes place to be seen at the background of the battlefield - shrines, nearby castles/dwellings etc… Say, if a battle takes place very close to a portal - the whole battlefield will be surrounded by swirling columns and glowing lights. If it takes place near a mine, crystals will be scattered around the battle area (King's Bounty: Legend style).

Gameplay:

*** Obstacles/Ground variation: I hope to see some terrain variation within battle screen itself, which will effect on creatures' movement/statistics and even reduce HP- like mud, shallow water streams, quicksand, etc - each of these in accord to its "mother" terrain. It will be also nice to have the battlefield not as flat as a wooden board, but one that has small barrows and pits (which will also slightly effect on stats of creatures standing in those grids). Another possible addition is obstacles that prevent/reduce damage from shooters like in H4 – but only if that will be implemented well. When attacking an enemy positioned just across the river, the defender might have the advantage of a "natural moat" – who said moats have to be only in castle sieges?
These things should be carefully balanced – perhaps they will not be influential to the point of deciding who's gonna win, but they can serve well a smart tactician or maybe the defender only.

***Role of geographic height: If one army attacks another that is stationed on top of a hill, the battle screen will be titled (to some extent, and again - not as a flat board) and the defender will have an advantage.

Adventure map:

Aesthetics:

***Weather: It would be great to have different weather from time to time... A rainy day may bring a totally new aspect in terms of playing atmosphere, and greatly add to it. (maybe it can effect battles to a small extent as well).

***Unexplored areas/Fog: As for the areas which weren't explored yet - I think something better than just total blackness could be used... a dark area filled with stars, like in H2, looked much batter - an thats the most simple example. A mist can also work. Being able to See the sky, as in the promotional pics of H5, would be nice too - if that's not too hard to implement.

***Water terrain: The water terrain is, just like the battlefield's texture, too flat. I'd like to see it sway and move from side to side, like a real huge mass of water (like, say, in LOTR:BFME II).

Gameplay:

***Sea exploration : Im not the first one to say it - but one of the few advantages H4 had was the interesting sea travelling, filled with creatures that roamed exclusively at sea. Bringing back the sea-monsters, mermaids and pirates, along with the adventure-map objects related to these creatures and many new ones will be great. Maybe an addition of temporary storms which will make the player carefully plan his route instead of just going in a straight line.

*** More local quests, more special places, more interactive objects, more everything!

Spells:

***Adventure map spells: While the spell system in H5 is excellent imo (especially after some of the patches came out), I'd like to see more adventure-map spells, which should be stronger and more impressive as well:
Seems weird that the insanely strong magic-wielding heroes can cause so much havoc on the battlefield, but can do nothing outside of it, besides the typical old summon boat/summon creatures/teleport to town. Fot a start, the spell "haunt mine" from H2 and the spell that slows down enemy hero movement from H4 could be brought back.
I would like to see adventure-map spells that have bigger effect on the game, for example - an adventure-map spell that causes a wave barrier/tsunami (doesn't necessarily deal any damage, just prevents from passing through a few tiles) that will hold for only one day, but will give the player some advantage over an enemy which tries to hunt him down at sea…
Maybe some terrain-deforming spells which will benefit the player in some way, or temporarily reducing an enemy's town growth and even destroying buildings (not dwellings but places like marketplace, defense towers and etc). Something like in Age of Wonders, but less influential on gameplay (it is HOMM after all).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s it, hope some of you were patient enough to read all of this, and I'll be glad if you have comments to share…
[/u]

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 09 Apr 2010, 23:48

Kristo wrote:Ok, but that's being different for the sake of being different. We'd still have two common resources and four rare resources, whatever their names. What do you mean by a resource that "doesn't come out of the ground?" You mean like mercury from an Alchemist's Lab?
Frankly, yes it is being different for the sake of being different, but I fail to see a downside (okay, there's probably not much 'point' either, but a bit of flavour never hurt, right). As for Mercury, you do realise it's extracted from cinnabar right, ergo it comes out of the ground?

Some interesting thoughts there Metal Wolf. Now for some of mine (just the town ideas for now):

Size/Growth

*Size: For me, Capitols have always seemed too big to be a one-per-player, I mean they garner twice the income of anything else, so I'd like to modify the numbers a bit, so Villages are still 500 and Capitols 4,000, but in the middle, Towns are now 1,200 rather than 1000, and Cities are 3,000 rather than 2,000, each level being about 2.4 the last rather than 2 times, and with the jump to Capitol being only 1.4 times.

*Population: I've never much liked the current system where towns just jump from one income level to the next, so I'd like to propose that rather than being absolute sizes, the various levels are the 'upper limits' of town sizes, with the population increasing by 10% per day, so from a village of 500, the population jumps to 550, thence to 605, then 665, then 731 etc, with income now being 1 gold per person.

*Employment: Of course once you have a population you have to give them something to do. Building would be the main use of course, but dwellings would also require workers, and of course population would go to become soldiers (many non-population creatures would get minders/groom instead, and high-level creatures may require several people, Knights for example). The population available for building would thus be restricted to those not employed elsewhere, and thus, big buildings may take several days to complete (or you may be able to complete several smaller ones in a single day if your city is big enough).

Dwellings

*Effort: In current games you can only get a set number of units, whether they be base or upgraded, but I'd like to change that, I'd like to make it so that you can get more base creatures than upgraded ones, so say you have a building where the base creature costs 50 gold and has a growth rate of 5, so the dwelling has 250 effort points. The upgraded creature may cost 70 gold though, so the dwelling now has 350 effort points, but it's up to the player how to use them, to buy the 5 upgraded creatures, or to get the now 7 base creatures (350/50=7).

*Common: Okay, not so much to do with the actual dwellings as the creatures inside them. The Common is the building that is now the prerequisite of all dwellings. The Common also serves another purpose than just an arbitrary pre-requisite though, it also allows you to employ all the unbought creatures in your dwellings in town defence for half the price you'd pay to actually buy them, thus, what looks like an empty town may actually be quite well defended.

Mage Guilds

*Libraries: No longer are Mage Guilds the first 'magical' buildings available, that has now been replaced by libraries, buildings that hold 15 spell scrolls (the same as Mage guilds used to, but there's no limits on how many spells per level, or even that each level has to be represented), or more in some cases. Nor is there any limitations once the library is full either, an existing spell may well be dumped to make way for a better spell, be it from a hero's spell book, a spell scroll, or some other source.

*Scryers: Of course, a library of magic is no good if it has no spells to fill it, and while a hero may bring in the occasional spells, most of the library's spells will probably come from the Scryery. The Scryery (employing Scryers) produces a new spell every week (or sooner depending on the level of the Mage Guild), and holds a spell on its books until anew one replaces it.

*Mage Guilds: No longer the sole magical buildings, MGs now play a lesser but still important roll in the magical make-up of the town, they reduce the time it take the Scryery to produce new spells (level 1 reduces it to 5 days, level 2 to 4, etc, until at level 5 a new spell is produced every day). They also act as mana regenerators for heroes, producing a certain number of spell points per day (say 50 at level 1, 100 at level 2 etc.).

Taverns

*Individuals: As it currently stands, every tavern a player owns has exactly the same heroes available for hire, despite the fact that they may be on opposite sides of the map, so I'd like to do away with that and replace it with a system where each tavern hosts between 3 and 5 heroes, with no two taverns getting the same hero.

*Factions: I've always found it annoying that the heroes you get are always more-or-less random, so a Haven town may well find itself able to hire a demon hero. I'd like to change this so that a player has an increased chance of getting a hero of his own faction (40%) or an allied faction (30%), but a lower chance of getting a neutral (20%) or enemy (10%) aligned hero.

------------------------

So, what do you think?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 10 Apr 2010, 02:46

Metal Wolf, you bring up lots of good ideas. I want to focus on Leadership because it comes up a lot but no one has reached a conclusion.
Metal Wolf wrote:Many times in HOMM, a battle's outcome is decided before it even begins due to army sizes of sides involved. Even when facing very strong heroes – sometimes tactics or a hero's level influences only the amount of casualties, not the winning side.
It happens that way in real life too. General Patton wasn't a miracle worker. To defeat a much larger force, the smaller army needs some kind of edge. For example, could a river be used as a tactical moat? (I really liked your suggestion on that)
Metal Wolf wrote:Introducing "leadership" as it appears in King's Bounty: Legend (Each creature has "leadership" cost, and the heo has a "leadership" stat which becomes higher as he advances levels. No hero can control all the creatures he can buy) can introduce a whole new experience of strategic planning.
So here's where I have questions. Lots of people have talked about how limiting army size changes your strategy. How exactly do you intend for the gameplay to be changed? If one player pours all of his effort into developing a single high leadership hero, he should win over a player who splits his development between two or more heroes. I think it's still a race to build the best superhero but with an artificial limit in your way.

Also, how do you resupply your primary hero if nobody has enough leadership to ferry all the troops?

Does leadership affect the size of castle garrisons? If not, one could theoretically build an unbeatable castle army.
Metal Wolf wrote:Also, cases when you play a single map and your hero, carrying all your available troops, encountering an enemy hero with an army twice as big (and therefore making you instantly lose the game and search for a previously saved game) will become much less common.
If the AI player doesn't cheat as blatantly as it does in H5, this shouldn't happen. If it does, then I politely say, "You lost!" ;)
Peace. Love. Penguin.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 10 Apr 2010, 04:23

About the limited army size thing. I never liked the idea myself, so I'd like to propose one of my own suggestions, the Hero has another skill (I call it leadership, you might want to call it something different) that limits the attack and defence bonuses a hero can give to his army. So a hero with 5 attack, 3 defence and 4 leadership will be only be able to confer 4 attack and 3 defence on his troops, yet one with 5 leadership will be able to confer the full 5 attack.

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 10 Apr 2010, 10:24

Kristo wrote:Metal Wolf, you bring up lots of good ideas.
Thank you!
Kristo wrote:
Metal Wolf wrote:Introducing "leadership" as it appears in King's Bounty: Legend (Each creature has "leadership" cost, and the heo has a "leadership" stat which becomes higher as he advances levels. No hero can control all the creatures he can buy) can introduce a whole new experience of strategic planning.
So here's where I have questions. Lots of people have talked about how limiting army size changes your strategy. How exactly do you intend for the gameplay to be changed? If one player pours all of his effort into developing a single high leadership hero, he should win over a player who splits his development between two or more heroes. I think it's still a race to build the best superhero but with an artificial limit in your way.
You are right, but I wasn't talking as much about making the player splitting armies between heroes, but more about disabling the ability of a player/AI win only due to his sheer size of army, and to make battles more carefully blanned.
I guess making Uber Heroes in HOMM is something which will never change (maybe its not a bad thing at all), but with the "leadership" feature meetings of 2 uber heroes will cause more epic battles, based on clever strategies and spells/skills and much less on army sizes.
Another positive aspect of this feature is that battles against neutrals or weaker heroes towards the final stages of the map will not be rediculously easy.
Maybe this skill will be implemented in such a way that the leadership of a hero in the beginning will be quite high, so that 10-level hero will not have insanely smaller army capacity than a 20-level hero - but he will be much weaker due to lower skills/spells.
I know there are problems with this idea, so its not something that "must" be done from my point of view - but I think everything can be solved with careful planning and balancing.
Kristo wrote:
Also, how do you resupply your primary hero if nobody has enough leadership to ferry all the troops?
Actualy, I dont think thats a bad thing. I never liked the "strategy" of being forced to supply the hero in the frontlines with a chain of useless heroes.
A "noob" hero carrying huge armies as if he was an errand boy is something I don't understand. However, If thats a "1 week\2-week old" army, then there is no problem, even 1-st level heroes should be able to handle that. It might also encourage the player to have at least one more decent hero in his disposal.
Kristo wrote:
Does leadership affect the size of castle garrisons? If not, one could theoretically build an unbeatable castle army.
It can be solved by having a "captain" in each town like in heroes2. Every town will have a dwelling which provides a 1-level hero (without a horse, if H2 players know what I mean :) ) which leads the garrison when the town is attacked.
The difference is that with the implementation of the "leadership" system, this captain will have a leadership skill which value is related to the level of the town: In this way, the owner of the town will be able to buy all the creatures he can at the beginning (towns grow faster that heroes advance levels), but at some point he wouldnt be able to do that anymore.
A fully-built town's captain may have even bigger army capacity than a high level hero's, but the owner of the town will probably prefer to defend the town with his best hero since an uber hero can take over a defending town led by a captain even if the captain has a (not insanely) bigger army.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 10 Apr 2010, 11:03

limiting army sizes based on hero levels is bad on two scales because A) it's unrealistic, and B) if provides only more incentive to make an 'uber-hero' because his/her army will be both bigger 'and' tougher than that of a lower-level hero.

Not that my system seems like much of an improvement, but that was because it was meant to be part of a 'battlefield hero' system like in H4 (giving you the basic option of 'might', 'magic' or 'leadership' heroes, rather than just 'magic' and 'leadership' as it currently is).

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 10 Apr 2010, 13:34

I think the core issue here is that having a large army has never come with any tradeoffs besides money and time. If you're going to set a limit on army size, I think it has to be a universal limit with no way to raise it. Allowing a hero to raise the limit (e.g., a leadership skill) has to be balanced against choosing not to raise it, and that's a really hard problem IMHO.

A possible alternative is to not cap army size but introduce logistical and combat penalties for an army above a certain size. Think Law of Diminishing Returns. The first 1000 troops that go into battle probably make a big difference, but the last 1000 don't have much effect on the outcome.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 11 Apr 2010, 09:49

No, no limits on the size of an army, we just need something to make it feasible to rely on more than one hero, and unfortunately this isn't it, since it would effectively destroy, at a certain point, the ability to rely on one hero.

Logistics penalties would be a good idea, the bigger an army is, the slower it goes. Possibly the way to do this would be to give a hero a certain number of 'logistics points', and assign a 'cost' of said points to each unit, so if an army exceeds the limit it goes slower (maybe along the lines of hero points/army cost, or even [hero points/army cost]^2). You'd have to work it differently on the battlefield, perhaps if each stack was taken individually rather than the army as a whole.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Apr 2010, 14:19

Metal Wolf wrote:I would like to see adventure-map spells that have bigger effect on the game, for example - an adventure-map spell that causes a wave barrier/tsunami (doesn't necessarily deal any damage, just prevents from passing through a few tiles) that will hold for only one day, but will give the player some advantage over an enemy which tries to hunt him down at sea…
This is another feature that's bugged me for quite a while. The majority of adventure map spells are either horribly unbalanced or horribly useless. I'd like to mess with the adventure map a lot more. Summoning elementals, for example, would be more useful if I could summon them anywhere, not just to guard a mine. And drawing on your weather ideas, I think it would be fun to summon a snowstorm. You could have it affect both adventure map and battle movement through the snow tiles. Duration and/or severity would be proportional to spell power, but that could be tweaked as needed.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 13 Apr 2010, 15:41

Kristo wrote:The majority of adventure map spells are either horribly unbalanced or horribly useless. I'd like to mess with the adventure map a lot more. Summoning elementals, for example, would be more useful if I could summon them anywhere, not just to guard a mine. And drawing on your weather ideas, I think it would be fun to summon a snowstorm. You could have it affect both adventure map and battle movement through the snow tiles. Duration and/or severity would be proportional to spell power, but that could be tweaked as needed.
Yeah, I agree. Games like Age of Wonders and even more the ancient and legendary Master of Magic are a living proof that a turn-based fantasy strategy game can have not only battlefield spells, but also some awesome adventure map spells.
Check them out if you have spare time on your hands - they are highly addictive!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”