Disciples 3

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Feb 2010, 11:23

D2 was 2.5D, resolution wasn't much of an issue, 800x600 was plenty.
boring (annoying even) low tier creatures, etc.
And now D3 has schizo-leveled creatures all over...

They really need to implement creature spawning tied to the average level of all your heroes (and in MP of all heroes on the map) in all TBS games imo.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 13 Feb 2010, 00:56

Disciples II Expansion Packs let you increase the resolution above 800x600 (including 1280x1024).

I have to reinstall Disciples 2 & check about the expansions. I think you're wrong about the 1280x1024 resolution myself. I never remember under graphic options that you could even change the res.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 13 Feb 2010, 11:03

Disciples II Expansions (All 3 of them) are all stand-alone, which means you don't need to re-install Disciples II itself at all. You change the resolution OUTSIDE of the game, by the way. There is a separate executable for that (which can be found in the Start Menu under Strategy First > Disciples 2 Expansion).
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 17 Feb 2010, 14:38

TheUndeadKing wrote:Disciples II Expansions (All 3 of them) are all stand-alone, which means you don't need to re-install Disciples II itself at all. You change the resolution OUTSIDE of the game, by the way. There is a separate executable for that (which can be found in the Start Menu under Strategy First > Disciples 2 Expansion).
Undead: Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the resolution! I didn't know that. I changed it & it's kind of worse in some ways. The battle screen is much, much smaller now. It's not a "true" 1280x1024 res. The world map is 1280x1024, but everything else is not i.e. Inside Castle, Battle Screen etc. I changed it back to 800x600 Thanks anyway!

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 17 Feb 2010, 14:41

parcaleste wrote:It is not that it have bad graphics, it's that there is no contrast. Still waiting for 0.1 or something, cause I have read of a lot of bugs. No thanks.
From what I gather in some of the Disciples 3 forums it might even make it over to the US! Many people are bummed out about D3. If it does come over...I'll wait for the bargin bin price ($10.00 & lower) What a shame!

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 17 Feb 2010, 19:39

Sir Alock wrote:Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the resolution!
Anytime.
Sir Alock wrote:It's not a "true" 1280x1024 res.
Well, Disciples II is not fully real 3D, as mentioned before by TT. Its graphics are mostly pre-rendered 3D, which means they need to be scaled "manually" by the programmers for higher resolutions, which also means it requires extra time and effort on their part.
Sir Alock wrote:The battle screen is much, much smaller now. The world map is 1280x1024, but everything else is not i.e. Inside Castle, Battle Screen etc.
Yes, they are smaller, but the image quality is sharper. You do get used to it after a while, though. Personally, I like it better this way.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 18 Feb 2010, 15:19

Undead: I tired the 1280x1024 last night & you're correct, it grows on you. I like the detail of the terrain in the open map. I bought Disciples II Gold over a year ago (like $10.00) & didn't install it. Decide last week to install. I did buy the original Disciples II Dark Prophecy & finished that years ago.

I forgot how much fun it is to watch your troops gain exp. & move up. I'm thru like 6 scenarios on the 1st Saga. Pretty good stuff. Too bad D3 is as bad as people claim. Maybe it will make it over & get patched-up. Well see. Thanks again!

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 18 Feb 2010, 21:24

No problem. Glad I could help. Have fun! :)

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 06 Mar 2010, 15:56

Anyone bothered downloading the 3 GB demo? My connection keeps getting reset.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 06 Mar 2010, 16:19

Yes - I played few turns and game is better then I thought (so it's no crap :P).
Battlefield has nice bonus fields which incresed attack, defense or magic attack (and healing) of units stayed on them.
Also units has counter-attack option if they have few movement points left. And also "special attack" option (like in HV).

I don't like skill tree (it is not hard to chose right skills but I like more D1/2 way of doing it) and new capitals interface and view.

I still have to test it a little more.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Mar 2010, 20:48

So is there an English demo available?
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Mar 2010, 11:44

Not that i know of...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 07 Mar 2010, 15:49

darknessfood wrote:So is there an English demo available?
Not yet

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 07 Mar 2010, 19:54

Hmm, that sucks. Wonder when it will come...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

fregglez
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fregglez » 15 Mar 2010, 10:44

Man, I was really looking forward to this game, but it seems it isn't any good. Did anybody here play this and enjoyed it?
If this game is no good, it will make the wait for heroes 6 even longer :) .

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 24 Mar 2010, 08:16

Tried russian version(only that is availiable) and can say I am really disappointed. Nival treated Homm brand MUCH better.
First game is awfully bugged( can hope they will be more or less fixed till english version comes out). Some are quite game breaking like constant crashes(although after last patch they are much less common).
Interface is highly unintuitive and unpractical. For example to zoom you need to scroll back. Also camera placement on battlefield doesn't cover whole grid and its sometimes hard to see units hiding in corners.
Game also doesn't feature any single scenarios or multiplayer(not that disciples was ever any good in that aspect).Only 3 campaigns with predefined hero(warrior in all 3 cases) what makes choosing hero class impossible.

One of most notable changes is change in art and style. Although artist was quite talented it has lost some of its disciple feel. Unfortunately while models are made quite detailed and nice, game has somewhat gray feeling
Voice over is also horrible, I hope that for english version they will get better narrator, specially considering great voice that was in D2.
Secondly combat aspect is changed to be more like HOMM - with hexagon system. Tactical aspect consists of randomly placed points of power upon battlefield that boost on of damage types and you can place your unit upon it for extra damage/healing power. Also most units have limited charges of cover points that enables intercept action if unit near to it is attacked, in that case he makes additional attack against attacker and enemy who was attacking covered creature attacks defender instead.
As mentioned many creatures have abilities in addition to regular attacks, like succubus and ellementalist have damaging attacks in addition, that imo is good change.
IN addition to potions that can be used in battlefield, they now can be used by any unit(not only hero), game features runes that can be bought in city after you research some spell, enabling to cast combat version of the spell.
There is also overhaul of rod system. They can now be placed in specific points with any hero, and guardian placed gets stronger after few turns. After several turns it get so strong that you need quite strong army to defeat him.
Ai is quite retarded even comparing to D2. They dont bother to scatter their units if my army has mage unit that do 3x3 square damage, and they chose their targets through some quite random system. I have seen several times to AI pass opportunity to finish of wounded unit in favor of damaging full health one. Ai compensates it with fast spawning armies that can be relatively highly leveled and thus making them challenge.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 25 Mar 2010, 06:31

They actually released a campaign only game, with no single scenarios? :| That's... something I cannot understand.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Mar 2010, 10:13

They needed money for more vodka...

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 04 Apr 2010, 21:59

For those interested, a member of D3 official forums has translated most of the game to English. The only stuff that still needs to be translated are the Legion and Alliance campaigns.

I tried out the translation and IMO it is great and I didn't stumble upon any big grammar mistake (the only mistakes that I noticed are big and small letters on some places but even those are very rare).
Oh, and I think it works with the Russian demo as well.

The Translation Patch
Tread Link
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

holy avenger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby holy avenger » 28 May 2010, 17:48

disiples 2 in my opinion is better then homm 3
so i hoped that the 3 part would be alot better then homm 5 which is a bit wowish for my style.
bad sides of the game are already mentioned.
it could be a good game if a masiive patch worth over 500 mb is implied might just save the day..
which will contain:
-scenario maps...
-hot seat
-more equipment
-ai questionable might just have the mode hot seat playing with hardcore fans of disciples 2 is worth enough for me..
-working dungeons(i get the blue screen when i enter them)wtf?
-the calculation system could be easily fixed
patches from 1.01 to 1.05 are pointless in any way so i wont give up on the game i'l just wait for the BIG patch
I cant belive that the arkelia designes relies on fans like i to translate the game and fixed it..dushbags
my mail is lloydvallentine@yahoo.com
when news of a major patch are realesed i hope someone pages me,i would likewise but in this case scenario is just dumb...
:tired:

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”