What, no Olympics-thread?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 01 Mar 2010, 01:44

I was glad to see Canada win, even though they beat my team. I felt in the back of my mind they would win it in front of the home crowd. Now Crosby will get every endorsement in the book. Congrats Canada! Nice game!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Mar 2010, 05:01

Aaaand it¨s over.

And again the TV producers at the games screw up: Northug, winner of the last event (50km cross country), was introduced on TV graphics as the Swede who took bronze. And vice versa. And nobody in Canada got to see the ceremony live, even though it was the only medal ceremony taking place during the actual closing ceremony. Arrangement troubles from start to finish (literally) in other words. :|

We took 23 medals, I think. Rubbish start to the games, got better after a while, and we took in a steady haul at the expense of the Austrians in alpine skiing (who were aiming for 4 medals there, and got none :D), the Swedes in cross country (yeah, we got more medals than them, so we win :D), and generally we're hoping to build on our current young squad of athletes to completely pwn y'all in four years.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 01 Mar 2010, 07:33

Ethric wrote: Was it more fun when they started separately?
Absolutely. Then i had to pay constant attention in order to follow who i performing how well at what point of the distance. Now had to wake myself in every 15 min in order to not let my brain to retard permanently.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Mar 2010, 09:21

You know why they started doing the mass starts, don't you? It was so that American TV viewers would find it easier to understand. I'm not kidding.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 01 Mar 2010, 12:13

Hey I like the mass starts. It creates a bike race sort of atmosphere. There's a breakaway or two, then the "peleton" reels them back in. And a 50km race comes down to someone outsprinting everyone else for the gold medal. Awesome. It helps to have Al Trautwig (one of the Tour de France announcers) doing the commentary too.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 01 Mar 2010, 17:13

Damn, i love the Olympics!

all good things come to a end!
Well at least we Dutch'men did a good job i guess.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 01 Mar 2010, 17:20

Kristo wrote:Hey I like the mass starts. It creates a bike race sort of atmosphere. There's a breakaway or two, then the "peleton" reels them back in. And a 50km race comes down to someone outsprinting everyone else for the gold medal. Awesome. It helps to have Al Trautwig (one of the Tour de France announcers) doing the commentary too.
I like the mass starts too. Very exciting to watch. Besides, it's more fair to all of the contestants because as we all saw, conditions can change dramatically in a very short time.
Kalah wrote:You know why they started doing the mass starts, don't you? It was so that American TV viewers would find it easier to understand. I'm not kidding.
You're just jealous because the USA won more medals than your country. :D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 01 Mar 2010, 17:24

USA always win, cause they have a country which can actully make it posible to do all sports.

In Holland we can only do like Ice skating, since we got no snow!

And USA has the most people of course!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Mar 2010, 17:51

Kalah wrote:We took 23 medals, I think. Rubbish start to the games, got better after a while, and we took in a steady haul at the expense of [...] the Swedes in cross country (yeah, we got more medals than them, so we win :D)
Pfah. Considering that Northug was expected to win just about everything, (including the women events :creative: ), I'd say it was more of us taking more and better medals than expected (except for women biathlon. Why oh why can they dominate completely outside the olympics and then fail miserably during it?).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 01 Mar 2010, 18:54

*sigh* Only four more years until the next Winter Olympics. :S

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 01 Mar 2010, 19:11

HodgePodge wrote:*sigh* Only four more years until the next Winter Olympics. :S
yeah it hurts me too :(

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 02 Mar 2010, 01:26

So? Everyone is going to forget about everything in Winter Olympics in the next 10 days.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 02 Mar 2010, 05:09

[T]osHiro wrote:So? Everyone is going to forget about everything in Winter Olympics in the next 10 days.
Just you [T]osHiro. ;|

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Mar 2010, 06:01

I dreamt last night that my country won a medal. Silly me, as if that would ever happen :rolleyes:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 02 Mar 2010, 06:52

My most memorable moment will be watching that Canadian downhill skier winning the first Canadian Gold Medal for his country on their home soil for the first time in Olympic history. And the next shot showing him hugging his handicapped brother.

Now that moment really choked me up. Just stuck with me.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 02 Mar 2010, 07:37

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:I dreamt last night that my country won a medal. Silly me, as if that would ever happen :rolleyes:
It is about 15 countries that take 95% of all medals in winter games. Other countries should just be happy that they can participate and if they manage to win a medal then it is more or less a miracle and the "countries with traditions" will accuse them for being doped. :S

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 02 Mar 2010, 07:50

HodgePodge wrote:
[T]osHiro wrote:So? Everyone is going to forget about everything in Winter Olympics in the next 10 days.
Just you [T]osHiro. ;|
Are you seriously implying that this thread will stay alive until the next Winter Olympics?
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 02 Mar 2010, 12:03

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:I dreamt last night that my country won a medal. Silly me, as if that would ever happen :rolleyes:
Actually, it has. According to Wikipedia, Denmark has one all-time winter olympic medal, a silver.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Mar 2010, 16:03

Yeah, they lost in the women's curling final (against the Canadians, naturally :rolleyes:) in Nagano back in -98.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 02 Mar 2010, 18:34

[T]osHiro wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:
Just you [T]osHiro. ;|
Are you seriously implying that this thread will stay alive until the next Winter Olympics?
No, I'm saying that whether or not this thread stays open, there'll be many people who won't forget the hundreds of memorial moments of the 2010 Winter Olympics.
  • For me personally, I'll always remember the flawless performance of Evan Lysacek, of the USA who won Gold in Men's Figure Skating as well as the outstanding performance of Evgeni Plushenko, of Russia who won the Silver.

Equally memorial was the beautiful & elegant performance of Kim Yu-Na of South Korea who won Gold in Women's Figure Skating and Mao Asada, of Japan who won the Silver. Mirai Nagasu, of the USA, came in 4th, but she is only 16, skated beautifully too.

Joannie Rochette of Canada won the Bronze in Women's Figure Skating. Her sensitive and emotional performances after her mother's death, just days before the event, was heartfelt and touching.

Who could forget the Chinese Figure Skating Pairs team of Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao, who won Gold when they skated magnificently after many unfortunate injuries. They were married just last year. This was going to be their last Olympics and their last chance to win Gold … and they did.

I'll always remember Shaun White's fantastic flying maneuvers in the Men's Snowboarding Half-Pipe competition too.

And of course there's that very exciting last event of the 2010 Winter Olympics: the Men's Hockey Game. Canada won Gold & the USA Silver, but in sudden-death overtime. Probably the all time best Hockey Game ever.
These are just some of the Olympic events I'll remember most; but many other Round Table members, as well as millions of people around the globe, will always remember their favorite moments (or disappointments) too.

Return to “Campfire”