Favorite overall faction across all heroes game?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Favorite faction - H1-H2-H3-H4-H5

Knight/Castle/Haven
7%
Forest town: Sorceress/Rampart/Preserve/Sylvan
13%
Wizard/Tower/Academy
21%
Warlock/Dungeon/Asylum
20%
Barbarian/Stronghold
9%
Demonic town/Inferno
5%
Swamp town (H3 Fortress)
7%
Undead/Necropolis
11%
Elemental town (Conflux from H3: AB)
5%
Dwarf town (Fortress from H5)
2%

Total votes: 82

Midas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Midas » 04 Oct 2009, 04:29

Rampart for me...

and I don't know why people don't like their HV town design... It's AWESOME, I think sumthin' like LOTR should use that kind of design...Don't you think?
All I see is Blackness...
Oh, My hood is down... (Acolyte)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 04 Oct 2009, 10:29

Voted preserve/sylvan. I love the music themes, the visuals, especially in H5, and I love the heroes as well. Great town :-D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 04 Oct 2009, 12:52

Warlock/Dungeon/Asylum for me.

coz of their ominous nature )

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Oct 2009, 09:02

There might be a clue about it in my username... think you can figure it out?! (finished my first HoMM game with them, been my favourites ever since)

Followed by the Black Dragon Town of course...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 10 Jan 2010, 02:46

I like the Necromancer town the most. I didn't play H1, but when I got H2 they were my favorite and it's continued to this day. I've always liked the idea of raising skeletons from the army you defeated. No morale and some of the cool abilities are some other things that made the Necromancers more interesting, IMO.

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 11 Jan 2010, 23:57

Somehow I like Inferno the most by far, followed by Barbarian forces. Normally in games, I pick the faction with the most tricks up thier sleeves. But I seem to have shifted to "win fast/win now".

Anyway, the Demon faction is most fun, even though they really are pretty bad (I'm interested in your mod UHO, where can I find it?). Besides, they're not really evil, they're evil with a huge wink.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Jan 2010, 17:49

Fewtger wrote:Anyway, the Demon faction is most fun, even though they really are pretty bad (I'm interested in your mod UHO, where can I find it?). Besides, they're not really evil, they're evil with a huge wink.
Well, trying to kill all inhabitants of the planet and terraforming it into a vulcan-filled world can be treated as rather evil ;)

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 12 Jan 2010, 20:40

Alright, they're humorous evil. They are the Scary Movie of horror-movies.
Come on, you can't take them seriously.

Midas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Midas » 17 Jan 2010, 11:34

You mean the Imps? oh... the helpless rip-offs of HOMM3...

or... thats about it I can think of...

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Jan 2010, 12:38

It actually took me quite a while to realise that the Demons in H5 were deliberately stereotypical and actually weren't supposed to be taken seriously in the least. I think I only picked up on that when I played CoH, actually. I guess it was an easy mistake since in H5's storyline it's extremely difficult to tell where the drivel ends and the jokes begin. Maybe I'd been subconsciously hoping they'd turn out to be the same Kreegans from the earlier games and not a cheap clone race.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 17 Jan 2010, 14:29

Fewtger wrote:Somehow I like Inferno the most by far, followed by Barbarian forces. Normally in games, I pick the faction with the most tricks up thier sleeves. But I seem to have shifted to "win fast/win now".

Anyway, the Demon faction is most fun, even though they really are pretty bad (I'm interested in your mod UHO, where can I find it?). Besides, they're not really evil, they're evil with a huge wink.
My latest Heroes 3 mod: (requires Shadow of Death or Complete installation with original CD)

http://pages.infinit.net/plague/h3mod-2009-10-17.zip

My latest Heroes 2 mod: (requires Price of Loyalty or Gold installation with original CD)

http://pages.infinit.net/plague/H2mod.zip

sylvanllewelyn
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby sylvanllewelyn » 28 Jan 2010, 12:26

I chose HAVEN/KNIGHT/CASTLE.

Haven is interesting because you are essentially putting them into a world where they are not the dominant species, surrounded by enemies that are more numerous and more organized? When they are beaten up by superior magic or technology? What kind of cultural, religious or social values will they embrace? How would they defend themselves?

I have always wondered if there are circumstances where a fully democratic society will vote itself out and replace it with a republic or autocratic council for its (perceived?) security benefits and its association with military state.

And about the whole Conflux thing being overpowered, I can tell you their weakness is Castle. The "ability" of Conflux units is their elemental units are immune to many hostile effects but Castle units don't have hostile effects. Combined with A/D differences between Knights and Elementists and not even Armageddon's Blade can save you.

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 03 Feb 2010, 20:10

sylvanllewelyn wrote:I have always wondered if there are circumstances where a fully democratic society will vote itself out and replace it with a republic or autocratic council for its (perceived?) security benefits and its association with military state.
Think... think hard.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 05 Feb 2010, 16:42

sylvanllewelyn wrote:I have always wondered if there are circumstances where a fully democratic society will vote itself out and replace it with a republic or autocratic council for its (perceived?) security benefits and its association with military state.
I think it happened it the 3rd starwars movie (Lucas' movies not the original 5)
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 Feb 2010, 17:14

Yah, or the Roman republic. :D

I love Sylvan, for the madly powerful archers (Elves rule), and lately for the big dragons as well. I don't always choose Sylvan, though... since I know other factions can be more powerful if used correctly.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 05 Feb 2010, 17:34

it's hard to choose, I play pretty much all factions, in heroes 3 tower is my favorite, however in heroes 5 I hate academy

in heroes 5 sylvan is pretty awesome when played right
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Feb 2010, 17:43

Kalah wrote:Yah, or the Roman republic. :D
Way to spoil it...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 05 Feb 2010, 23:51

sylvanllewelyn wrote:And about the whole Conflux thing being overpowered, I can tell you their weakness is Castle. The "ability" of Conflux units is their elemental units are immune to many hostile effects but Castle units don't have hostile effects. Combined with A/D differences between Knights and Elementists and not even Armageddon's Blade can save you.
You can't beat Conflux in normal matches. Their armies start and stay fast, they have easy access to all four schools of magic, they can climb the TeCH tree very fast and their Phoenixes reproduce at 4 per week. It can be done in the campaigns, yes (I assume that's what you mean, since you mentioned Armageddon's Blade). It can also be done if it's the AI handling Conflux. But against a player of equal skill, unless you get massive good fortune Conflux will simply walk all over you.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Feb 2010, 12:11

Banedon wrote:But against a player of equal skill, unless you get massive good fortune Conflux will simply walk all over you.
I guess that's what happens when you try messing with the Elemental Planes :D

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 08 Feb 2010, 18:26

Man, I hate the conflux. I hate the sudden upgrade for elementals, the "psychic elemental" (WTF?) and I hate the way the city looks.
It should be treated the same way, drugs are treated in the Netherlands. Nobody wants them, and it's frowned upon...but they're there.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”