Heroes 2 & 3: Favorite Level 1 Spell

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Favorite Level 1 Spell

Bless
15%
Bloodlust
No votes
Cure
4%
Curse
No votes
Dispel
4%
Haste
23%
Magic Arrow
No votes
Shield
4%
Slow
50%
Stone Skin
No votes

Total votes: 26

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Heroes 2 & 3: Favorite Level 1 Spell

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 02 Jan 2010, 21:06

The list is based on Heroes 3 mage guilds, but I included Heroes 2 too in the topic title because the spells offered are very similar. Most of the Heroes 2-exclusive spells are just upgrades of weaker spells: Blind->Paralyze, StoneSkin->Steelskin, Bless->Mass Bless, and H3 replaced that with elemental skills.

The fire & water elemental protection spells and adventure spells (view air, view earth, summon boat) are omitted due to the poll option limit.
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 02 Jan 2010, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 02 Jan 2010, 21:14

How can someone vote anything else than slow? 8|

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 Jan 2010, 22:58

TBH I like Haste more than Slow, that makes weak enemies less likely to retreat when attacked.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 03 Jan 2010, 02:14

I voted Bless, but that's only because I somehow didn't see Slow on the list. It's even more important to my start playing with UHH's patch which speed up many of the very slow creatures.

Heroes_Veteran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Heroes_Veteran » 03 Jan 2010, 06:53

Slow is useful, but I voted haste, because reaching enemies in the first turn with your unit(s) is even more useful. :p

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 03 Jan 2010, 11:04

Slow or Bless. In Heroes 3 with corresponding magic skill (earth or water magic) are these spells even better.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 03 Jan 2010, 13:28

Gotta go with Slow here. Many H2 battles go like this:

1. Slow dangerous flyer unit.
2. It's clobberin' time!
Peace. Love. Penguin.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 03 Jan 2010, 13:49

Darmani wrote:I voted Bless, but that's only because I somehow didn't see Slow on the list. It's even more important to my start playing with UHH's patch which speed up many of the very slow creatures.
Hi! :)

I appreciate that you still play with my patch BTW, but as far as I remember I only buffed the speed of Peasants and basic Zombies from very slow to slow.
Hydras, Iron Golems, Ogres, Archers and Orcs retain their very slow speed.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 03 Jan 2010, 14:08

Voted Dispel. It's a hidden gem really. You can do wonders with this spell, such as seriously damaging Tower player's defence system, removing a whole lot of spells and their effects (excluding Poison), just ruining your enemy's battle plans etc etc. It's quite a versatile spell.
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 03 Jan 2010, 14:19

Dispel is a "lose turn" spell IMO. Usually a hard battle is played with mass spells and dispel remove them all, so its like a turn for setting back values to zero and starting again.

I never could find a good usage for it, except giving it to AI heroes, as in WoG they fight much better than SOD and actually they use it a lot against human (they will always remove your force field).

As for haste, it is a good spell but slow is the faster(<--funny, no?) way to level up with minimal casualties. And the difference between levels is the key to win.

But all the spell usage greatly depends of the game played, vs computer or vs human. They are two different worlds, with different behaviors.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Jan 2010, 15:15

Salamandre wrote:Dispel is a "lose turn" spell IMO. Usually a hard battle is played with mass spells and dispel remove them all, so its like a turn for setting back values to zero and starting again.
Indeed, I never understood why mass Dispel works on both sides. It should work only on enemies (since we have Cure for our own troops) - then it would be very, very useful.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 03 Jan 2010, 15:35

GreatEmerald wrote: Indeed, I never understood why mass Dispel works on both sides.
Maybe they wanted you to consider pros and cons of such action, or maybe the ability to remove all the enemy's beneficial spells just like that was considered being too OP.

Imagine removing for example mass prayer, mass bless and mass haste with one spell just like that, without consequences on your side (if your units have some buffs like haste or such).

Of course, this can happen with might hero, who will not rely on magic buffs that much like a magic hero, but most of people I know rely on magic heroes, but that is another story.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 03 Jan 2010, 15:44

Still, I don't see what advantage would be to remove bonuses from opponent only. It only bring them back to a healthy condition, while casting slow has a much better effect, removing their most important boost, the speed.

But of course, there are situations when haste or dispel win a game, no doubt. As for multiplayer, shield is a must to cast, as you don't have time to resurrect. The first big battle is the last. A good Tazar with expert shield is like hitting a wall.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 03 Jan 2010, 17:28

I like haste more then slow because it helps with dealing with enemy archers
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Jan 2010, 19:22

Vote Cure. (Mass) Slow is better, but I like Cure.

And mass Haste might be better against shooters, but I'm not using it anyway since earth has so many other good spells. Air has exactly three spells that you might want to pick the shool for and two of them are most often disabled.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 05 Jan 2010, 01:36

Haste for me would be slow but I prefer buffing to debuffing.
Corelanis used baton pass The Heroes Round Table sent out [the poster below me]

Return to “Heroes I-IV”