StarGate Atlantis WoG mod

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 28 Dec 2009, 22:39

I never played WoW. Not much of an online gamer. I saw a friend of mine playing it once and the use of the mouse on the game was too crazy for me. My son swears by it, but I like the graphics of it in WoG much better.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 31 Dec 2009, 18:02

ByteBandit wrote:I never played WoW.
This applies to me as well. And isn't Equilibris or even the Gathering Storm much better than the Winds of War? Not Guilty. For all those Heroes IV fans out there, I'm really sorry that you've been mislead but like you heard me say, Not Guilty. ;)

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 31 Dec 2009, 19:36

He, my friend, but refering to WoW Sal and BB mean the online game World of Warcraft, and not H4 Winds of War. Steve made wonderful H4 maps and likes the game, as I do very much, and I really don't feel "mislead", and so it will be in the next years, too!! :-D
Good slide or glide into 2010. :drink: hurraa

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 03 Jan 2010, 13:57

I'm so pulling your leg here, Koni. I do know what Salamandre and ByteBandit are talking about. It's a running gag of mine that I "fail" to understand that WoW in this context refers to the massively popular internet based RPG game and not the second (and what was quite a disappointing, mediocre quality) Heroes IV expansion pack.

I have played the Winds of War campaigns perhaps up to a quarter length and have beaten several of the maps that came with the expansion pack but that's about it. I never truly liked the game that much. Half-baked, hurriedly finished and rush released as the game was, it was a true disappointment.

To finish typing this post before it turns out yet another one of those monster length posts I so love to type, I must admit that I was under the influence of a fine Finnish beer and was feelin' groovy. I guess it was a humorous way to say goodbye to the old year. At the very least I managed to boost the number of my post count, ha ha.

Yurian

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 Jan 2010, 17:39

A Quick Note to Salamandre:

This may not have anything to do with Stargate Atlantis. And I apologize for that. But Jim Vogan has sent me a map made by someone who's made it with one of your patches I beleive. As soon as he does a few needed things for it, we'll have it up on the Translated Maps page. The map is called Antikiro. Are you familiar with it?

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Jan 2010, 18:55

I have no idea, can it be downloaded from somewhere?

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 Jan 2010, 20:19

I'm not sure. You can ask Jim. I see you recruited him away from our translation project to help you with some scripting. He needed a break after translating "Apocalypse" (WoG) from French to English. A massive text file on that map! Congrats for getting him. :)

Good to see you are progressing on this map, Sal. Keep up the good work!

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Jan 2010, 20:25

Yes, he was the only one to get the pattern on how to script 70 destination possible for the StarGate (headache). I then did the script following his ideas and sent him to test, the package is 120 Mo 8| (one map lol)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 Jan 2010, 20:40

Man that's one huge map then. He's making pics for the map I mentioned to you. Should have it up on the Translated page sometime today or tommorow. It may be just GrayFace's patch stopping me from viewing it. I asked him to make the minimaps for me to post on our page. It's a small map too.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Jan 2010, 21:10

Grayface patch is only for editor hints, not for adding new objects. There are only 2 big patches with new objects around, 1.08 and 1.09. The 1.09 contains of course 1.08 inside, so downloading 1.09 solves all new objects problems.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 13 Jan 2010, 20:53

External city as well as internal were redone, as they looked rather noobish without additional work.

Internal:
Animated 3 objects, need to create 2 statics effects on the two on left side and I am done with that

External:

As BB said, it is engineering. The city is compiled from 10 3D frames. The bad thing when you have 10 defs working as one alone is that it is impossible to animate the whole thing. Well...

The Gizeh Pyramids, I was paying a short visit as Sheppard had not the bucks to pay a ticket in.

Weapon research center:

Teyla healing the team in battle (special note: introduced the AMMO/First Aid Kit concept in battle, the box allow to reload your weapons magazines up to 250 bullets. Once 250 were used, you'll have to get back to Atlantis, to fill the box):
ImageImage

Bad side: I screwed my install 50 times while doing weird experiments.
Bad double side: I don't see how can finish this in this life. :(
Hopefully Jim Vogan joined to give a hand and postponed his Plutarch translations.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 15 Jan 2010, 11:38

Salamandre, don't give up on the project!! You are truly talented, artist in his own right and a modern day Heroes modding genius. People tell me that I am good at making maps for the SoD, but I consider myself a map making Heretic more than an artist. I have my own visions, my own style and plans for the future improvement of my work, but I'm no artist. I've seen your WoG maps and projects, followed them from afar, keeping my distance, but from what I can gather your work has the mark of a genius all over it.

We may disagree on issues what constitues a good map and what not, our styles are so different, like a horse being compared to a camel. (if you allow this odd comparision) Anyway, I wanted to let you know that while I look at WoG through the eyes of a sceptic, your work ranks amongst the finest I've ever seen here on CH. And that is saying a lot. I wish you all the best, may you have the strength to carry on the work 'til the happy day when the project shall be published. Thumbs up, mate.

Yurian the humble SoD map maker

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 15 Jan 2010, 17:10

I'm along the same lines as Yurian here. I'm glad we sometmes don't agree with a lot of H3/WoG issues! What a boring world that would be if we did! :D

And though Jim Vogan has been helping me with translating maps, and I expect he'll be back helping again, He wants to help yo get this project up and running.

Many fans, including myself, would like to see this project completed. If you have to water it down a bit, I'm sure everyone would understand why. I have complete faith in you that, you'll complete the project one way or another. You've invested too much time in it to abandon it. Right? :)

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 15 Jan 2010, 17:33

Thanks both for kind comments. And no, I will not give up, it is just that at the time when I wrote the thing, Jim and me were in discord about several issues, like using of gates, grail, trade routes. So I was a bit reluctant about starting again from scratch. Hopefully his last mail was more accommodating to what I am looking for. He has great ideas too and some may conflict with mines.

I hope he continues to collaborate, his help is greatly needed, because all the game is changed so everything must accord to the new layout, icons, creatures, backgrounds, weapons, artefacts, layouts, dialogs, resources, sounds. And to redo all the .lods is big work.

Yurian, your sig looks funny after your comment. :-D

One screen, SGA raiding a Wraith Hive ship:

The jumper (screen is 3 months old, so the red flag is still on, was removed since there are no factions in the game)

Mitabrin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mitabrin » 15 Jan 2010, 19:41

Sal maybe my request will be weird but... Please don't give us more screenshots, because I am afraid that soon there will be nothing in this mod that I haven't seen yet...

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 15 Jan 2010, 20:00

Heh, working in secret is something I don't do anymore at my age. When I was 14, maybe, now I need valuable comments BEFORE the release, otherwise I will be cut in pieces. I started again on many graphics because constructive comments.

Anyway almost nobody will play it (I am fully aware) so at least look at it :D

ketchua
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ketchua » 07 Feb 2010, 18:54

Keep the faith Sal. :)

By the way, i'm doing a short article about WoG for a local gaming mag (in Serbia), and I was wondering if I could use some of your SG:A screenshots for it. They look quite impressive. :)

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 08 Feb 2010, 03:31

Thanks, in a few weeks will be out.

Some backgrounds for you

And SGA faction background

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 21 Feb 2010, 22:21

Sal, that's good to hear it'll be out soon. But I have a different request of you:

I will be getting a much needed upgraded laptop/pc hybrid soon. It's a hand me down (Still has XP too :) ). But 20 times the power of the one I'm using now. And I was wondering where I could get your latest patch of stuff without all the Science fiction objects. I'm not big on Sci Fi stuff, but a big fan of Mythology, so a latest patch from you with just that kind of stuff would be great. I should be able to make maps without the crashing now, (I hope!), once I get it within the month or so ....

Sorry for getting off topic on Stargate .... :)

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 22 Feb 2010, 00:47

The "Sci-Fi" objects are used only in Atlantis and do no belong to any patch (with time, I removed 99% of them because they really did not look ok in, and also Astaroth proposed me wonderful hand made objects so I did not wait too much to change).

The latest patch is still 1.09 and can be found here:
http://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes3/file ... r_1_09.rar

It contains the russian patch (1.08-600 objects) + 400 new objects from my own. In all, the new editor contains 2400 objects now. All mythology style, as they were extracted from Heroes like games. (Age of Wonders, Mythology, Caesar, Emperor, Civilization and many others in the same style.)

Return to “Wake of Gods”