Windows 7, need help

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Windows 7, need help

Unread postby cortisan » 28 Dec 2009, 08:42

Hey guys, I recently got a new macbook and installed windows 7 (I don't care for any arguments about mac or anything so please don't bother) I am taking this laptop with me to uni next year and I will most likely be staying on campus so naturally I will want some gaming to keep me happy. Of course my might and magic games were first to make their way onto the laptop, however I cannot seem to get 7 and 8 to work it comes up with the "has encountered a problem and needs to close" Can anyone help me out, I really want to have access to my favourite games... Thanks in advance.

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Windows 7, need help

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 28 Dec 2009, 08:52

cortisan wrote:Hey guys, I recently got a new macbook and installed windows 7 (I don't care for any arguments about mac or anything so please don't bother) I am taking this laptop with me to uni next year and I will most likely be staying on campus so naturally I will want some gaming to keep me happy. Of course my might and magic games were first to make their way onto the laptop, however I cannot seem to get 7 and 8 to work it comes up with the "has encountered a problem and needs to close" Can anyone help me out, I really want to have access to my favourite games... Thanks in advance.
I think there are two solution.

1. Using Wine in Macbook. That is a good windows emulator for Mac and Linux.

2. Try Windows XP

cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cortisan » 28 Dec 2009, 08:55

phamlongtuan wrote:I think there are two solution.

1. Using Wine in Macbook. That is a good windows emulator for Mac and Linux.

2. Try Windows XP

Thanks for the reply, I will give Wine a go and let you know if it works. I don't particularly want to install Windows XP on this so I will leave that as a last resort.

larrxi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby larrxi » 28 Dec 2009, 09:28

I got Might and Magic VI working in Windows 7. It has with the compatibility options to do. Try run it in Windows XP compatibility mode or something. I think you can rightclick on the executable and let it search for maybe working settings too.

cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cortisan » 28 Dec 2009, 09:33

larrxi wrote:I got Might and Magic VI working in Windows 7. It has with the compatibility options to do. Try run it in Windows XP compatibility mode or something. I think you can rightclick on the executable and let it search for maybe working settings too.
Yeah I have already tried all the compatibility modes, it still doesn't work. Thanks anyway!

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 28 Dec 2009, 10:24

cortisan wrote:Hey guys, I recently got a new macbook and installed windows 7 (I don't care for any arguments about mac or anything so please don't bother) I am taking this laptop with me to uni next year and I will most likely be staying on campus so naturally I will want some gaming to keep me happy. Of course my might and magic games were first to make their way onto the laptop, however I cannot seem to get 7 and 8 to work it comes up with the "has encountered a problem and needs to close" Can anyone help me out, I really want to have access to my favourite games... Thanks in advance.
I installed (by Windows-7 platform) original MM6 (no problems, original game runs), update it to 1.2 version, patched and load mod TCC-Part1 succesefully. I already played approx 1/3 of the Game - no problems. There were problems. My advice - try use ALL executable programs (game, updator(s), patch) in Win XP extension pack 2 (not pack3) compabikity.

cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cortisan » 28 Dec 2009, 10:31

Mn wrote:
I installed (by Windows-7 platform) original MM6 (no problems, original game runs), update it to 1.2 version, patched and load mod TCC-Part1 succesefully. I already played approx 1/3 of the Game - no problems. There were problems. My advice - try use ALL executable programs (game, updator(s), patch) in Win XP extension pack 2 (not pack3) compabikity.
Ah interesting point, I will try that. Thanks heaps! :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Dec 2009, 14:01

Also don't forget to install GrayFace's patches, they make them run under no compatibility options at all.

cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cortisan » 28 Dec 2009, 14:05

GreatEmerald wrote:Also don't forget to install GrayFace's patches, they make them run under no compatibility options at all.
You wouldn't happen to have a link handy, would you? Thanks a lot, I haven't used GreyFace's patches before so I hadn't thought of it.

Ck-NoSFeRaTU
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ck-NoSFeRaTU » 28 Dec 2009, 14:10

For those who doesn't know, GrayFace's patches are available at
http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/

cortisan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cortisan » 29 Dec 2009, 02:23

Thanks guys for your help, I got it to work by doing a fresh install and then setting compatibility to 98/ME. Don't know why it didn't work before oh well. Thanks again!

Return to “Might and Magic”