Half-Dead → Life and Death

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 25 Dec 2009, 03:32

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/199

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 25 Dec 2009, 03:32

I was only able to get Gauldoth up to level 29, I saved the two trees of knowledge until I was ready to go after Malvich. I made the mistake of delaying the fight for the first tree of knowledge and the armor of death until near the end of the scenario. I had to fight 29 devils for the tree and 19 black dragons for the armor. Of course, considering I never maxed Gauldoth out, maybe it wasn't so bad.

The first town and the first couple of garrisons were quite challenging. I followed my usual strategy, one order lord per town, a death knight to help with Gauldoth's troops and beginning in month two, an army with a necromancer and a death knight to clear the random monsters. This army used only first and second level troops. Gauldoth used vampires, devils and bone dragons.

The last battle was trivial (well I was halfway through month 4), it's not clear that the life shield was necessary.

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Half-Dead → Life and Death

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 26 Dec 2022, 19:32

I played on Champion this time. The first 6 weeks or so were difficult, after that it just got easier and easier. I followed the same basic strategy as before and got very similar results. Reached Level 29 and finish @ M4W3D3.

I kept a journal and have included some of the more interesting excerpts.

Week 1, captured the sawmill, beat a company of imps and scores of zombies on day one, serious mana drain. My path was blocked by 21 vampires. The way I found past was to send Gauldoth in alone, wait, summon Ice Demons who hit and froze the Vampires. Any other start and the Vampires killed Gauldoth.

Week 2, Captured Lethe, 9 Bone Dragons, 21 vampires, 6 ghosts, 270 imps and 300 skeletons. Lucky for me they didn't come out until I broke down the gate and by that time, I had 75 fully pumped Ice Demons.

Week 4, The second teal garrison was a problem. Five Devils and 41 Venom Spawn. Attacked with 6 ghosts. My first attempt resulted in fleeing after killing all the Devils. Reloaded and this time I remembered to wear my Ring of Health. Instead of summoning my usual shield troops and poisoning when I got a chance' this time I summoned my own Venom Spawn (19 at a time). I cast Vampiric Touch on myself but that seemed to discourage the Devils from attacking me. Lost the 6 ghosts but took the garrison.

Week 6, Gauldoth is still alone save for a company of ghosts raised from necromancy. Against creatures that can be aged, I split off 5 single ghosts and summon 19 Venom Spawn.

Week 7, The battle with the 21 Black Dragons for the Armor of Death was costly. I lost 5/6 Devils, my death knight and 23/373 ghosts. Contrary to the walkthrough, Vampiric Touch doesn't work on Black Dragons.

Week 9, gained the Shield of Life!

Week 13, finished everything but Malvich. To shorten the walk back to the Tree on the surface, I blocked the four spots in front of the underground town an used a scroll of Town Gate to get to the surface. Even using Town Gate 4 times to accelerate the trip it took 12 days. Gauldoth only reached L29 (his sidekick general reached L16).

Week 15, day 3 I finished, the last battle was easy because I had such a huge army.

Return to “Articles”