mm VIII: why is there a very bright nova on my screen?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
yrth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

mm VIII: why is there a very bright nova on my screen?

Unread postby yrth » 07 Oct 2009, 17:00

I'm a long time might and magic fan and decided that my 64 bit laptop was missing a main component. Thus the only logical conclusion was to order and download the entire collection (except IX). I've gotten 1-7 to work fine and 8 has installed and is functioning save one thing. Whenever I play it there is a large bright nova like thing dead center of the screen. Any ideas?

thanks in advance
yrth

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 07 Oct 2009, 17:04

Can you post a screen shot?

yrth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yrth » 07 Oct 2009, 18:19

I don't think you'll miss it.

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 07 Oct 2009, 20:11

I'd first try reinstalling and setting compatibillity (if using vista).
It might verry well be your computer that's causing this, I had something simmilar-ish occur on TES 3: Morrowind and I figured that my comp was causing it.
Last edited by pirvix on 22 Oct 2009, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 08 Oct 2009, 09:24

That looks very much like the Prismatic Light spell.

(techie people)
Is it possible the game could be loading this in at start up? Or maybe the way the files were downloaded? Perhaps there's a corrupt file in there.

yrth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yrth » 08 Oct 2009, 13:01

ahhh that's good I was hoping someone could narrow it down to a specific sprite and that one most certainly fits the bill, thank you. As for a corrupt file - it installed straight from the original disk.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 08 Oct 2009, 14:17

yrth wrote:Image
Congratulations, you have uncovered the secret of the inner sanctum! This little thingy will take you to Vori if you click on it, it's a portal see? Okay I'm just talking nonsence... :)
Variol wrote:That looks very much like the Prismatic Light spell.

(techie people)
Is it possible the game could be loading this in at start up? Or maybe the way the files were downloaded? Perhaps there's a corrupt file in there.
Which brings us back to...
pirvix wrote:I'd first try reinstalling and setting compatibillity (if using vista).
So yeah, try that.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

yrth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yrth » 08 Oct 2009, 15:10

Hehe, nah don't you recognize it? This is the portal to midkemia that you thought you closed... :)

Alright will do I'll report back after I reinstall

Also, good choice on name, much better ring to it then Pug.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 09 Oct 2009, 21:12

yrth wrote:Hehe, nah don't you recognize it? This is the portal to midkemia that you thought you closed... :)
Ohh, that explains where that Destroyer person came from. Oops! Well, you can't win them all..
Alright will do I'll report back after I reinstall
Honestly it looks more like something your computer might be doing, but the ghost in the machine can often act in ways unimaginable to mankind... reinstalling is the simplest solution, and so the first thing to try.
Also, good choice on name, much better ring to it then Pug.
Indeed! I think Feist actually said in an interview that he called him Pug because it's a name you wouldn't expect for the hero of a story. Either way, Macros suits me better :)
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Might and Magic”