Someone jelous of the maps, or are there too many scumbags?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Oct 2009, 23:44

Artas1984 wrote:So like yes, i am pissed off deeply.. And i will spit in the face to those who don't think like me!
Ok, pal, lets not blow this thing out of proportion. There are people here that don't think that ratings are so much important. And they don't seem to spit in your face, do they ? Don't act like a dick

Yurian Stonebow wrote: Does it bother you to actually read my words within their original, intended context?
Sure, dude, whatever. Its just phrase "you can't please 'em all" intends someone who will not like the result of your work. But its not the same as if he will take sh*t on what you did, just for fun.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 07 Oct 2009, 02:06

I guess map rating could come in many forms. What if a player likes a story driven map more than an all out war map? Or vice versa? While the story driven player enjoys the story, and the all out war guy loves the battles, what about the guy who just likes the look of the map? (Trees, rocks, etc.) There are many ways one can rate the map he/she plays. There are many different kinds of HoMM3 maps that various players from around the world can argue about whether it's a good map or not. I see it on the Archives daily.
Myself, I like a pleasant looking map first. That says a lot about how much the mapmaker put painstaking time into making it. Second, spelling. I hate playing maps where the author got everyday words spelled wrong. Nothing ruins gameplay like trying to figure out a word. Third, I like the battles to be challenging but not overwhelming to where I could never win all the time. Marching around the map looking for stuff is the funnest part, to me, of HoMM3. Fourth, a good storyline should be included, but not overbearing to the reader to the point he/she loses focus on his/her mission from the outset. And fifth, originaity. It's hard to actually come up with something new for HoMM3 as there are thousands of maps for the game. But when you find one, you remember it.
The author of the map never forces the issue whether I should play the map or not. But if the author has created something I liked from a previous map, the chances are I will give his/her latest offering a go.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 07 Oct 2009, 09:25

All of you must have an account in youtube - you upload a video and can select to disable ratings and comments, this sorta thing could be adjustable in CL. And BB, can you as a mod here can do nothing to level the ratings the maps and enable/disable comments? Not even Angelspit?

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 07 Oct 2009, 15:12

ByteBandit wrote:This is not a plug QD, but do you also plan on reviewing user made Campaigns or is that a bit too much work for you to implement? I know there are quite a few of them out there these days. And it would take a lot of time just reviewing the maps let alone the Campaigns.
Maybe- I'll see when I come to them. Right now I am dealing with a pile of H3 maps. Due to the nature of going in time order, I am thinking of alternating games - do these H3 maps, then do a bunch of H4s, then H5s, and repeat.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 08 Oct 2009, 21:31

Damn, basic WarCraft 3 map "Booty Bay" is 100 times more realistic and much more playable than 95 % of the Heroes 3 so called multiplayer maps..

This is pathetic, had i been the supreme map hoster here in CL and had my own server, this BS with H3 maps would never happen, i feel so sick that i think i am going to make a promotional tutorial video on to make real multiplayer maps, not just by name.. What is most horrible is that those maps get a good rating and people get really confused, because they don't know what they are downloading... When one searches for a MP map, he should get only a top quality MP map - not some 12 year old boy fantasy carvings.. Shame to you all here who is responsible for map administrating and hosting...

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 09 Oct 2009, 06:15

Artas1984, what the bloody hell is happening with you?

Yeah, you're pissed off about the map voting, we all know that, but IMO this is already too much, isn't it? Just calm down and chill out, everything will be fine.

/hug
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Ironmallet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironmallet » 10 Oct 2009, 14:04

Artas1984 wrote:Damn, basic WarCraft 3 map "Booty Bay" is 100 times more realistic and much more playable than 95 % of the Heroes 3 so called multiplayer maps..

This is pathetic, had i been the supreme map hoster here in CL and had my own server, this BS with H3 maps would never happen, i feel so sick that i think i am going to make a promotional tutorial video on to make real multiplayer maps, not just by name.. What is most horrible is that those maps get a good rating and people get really confused, because they don't know what they are downloading... When one searches for a MP map, he should get only a top quality MP map - not some 12 year old boy fantasy carvings.. Shame to you all here who is responsible for map administrating and hosting...
I think you need to stop being a douche. Not everything is to your liking and you throw a hissy fit at everyone, including the great people who host this site. Embarrassing.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 11 Oct 2009, 11:56

True hurts, does it not? It is indeed embrassing..

My likeness? Gosh, it's not my likeness, it's the fact, that some of the map hosting rules are violated and that's the bottom line..
Although i certainly know guys here can't handle and control all the people who want to present their maps, so often some things are overseen.

Although it is something with it we still can live alright...

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 13 Oct 2009, 21:57

Well man, the truth hurts indeed. And the truth is that you did nothing exceptional for Heroes and that puts you in the ranks of polite users, not in shape to have demands and flame around people who DID. Make your proofs then you may be heard.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 13 Oct 2009, 22:40

There's nothing anybody can do about removing map ratings here at CH, I think. We never imagined that anyone would purposely devalue a map on purpose, but I guess it just goes to show you that everything is possible. Just keep making maps that are fun, and wounds will heal itself in time.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Be kind... rewind.

Unread postby gravyluvr » 16 Oct 2009, 16:09

It could be that you have encountered this person on a discussion board and you upset them enough for them to react this way or maybe this person just does not like your maps.

The overall is rather meaningless since over the course of time the median and the mean of other ratings will outway the mean of a bad rating.

You may think a Chicken, Lettuce, Tomato and Mayo on Rye is the best sandwich ever but I don't like chicken, lettuce or mayo so I might rate that sandwich a 1.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 19 Oct 2009, 10:30

Salamandre wrote:Well man, the truth hurts indeed. And the truth is that you did nothing exceptional for Heroes and that puts you in the ranks of polite users, not in shape to have demands and flame around people who DID. Make your proofs then you may be heard.
What is the bloody schit are you talking about? Facts?

I created a radicaly new H3 Gigamight mod as well as some of the finest multiplayer maps ever for H3. Learn your facts straight before daring talk trash to me..

When people don't know about each other works, or are unfamiliar with each other in general, then they can not just talk like you did. You should apoligize and be more polite next time.

Ironmallet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironmallet » 19 Oct 2009, 14:08

Artas1984 wrote:
Salamandre wrote:Well man, the truth hurts indeed. And the truth is that you did nothing exceptional for Heroes and that puts you in the ranks of polite users, not in shape to have demands and flame around people who DID. Make your proofs then you may be heard.
What is the bloody schit are you talking about? Facts?

I created a radicaly new H3 Gigamight mod as well as some of the finest multiplayer maps ever for H3. Learn your facts straight before daring talk trash to me..

When people don't know about each other works, or are unfamiliar with each other in general, then they can not just talk like you did. You should apoligize and be more polite next time.
I checked out your maps. They're OK. 6/10 at most.

You need to get over yourself. Badly.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 19 Oct 2009, 17:30

Artas, Salamandre is'nt getting on your case. Chill my brother, chill. Each of you are experienced at what you do.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 19 Oct 2009, 19:27

Artas, I checked also your maps, and they are very good, I apologize. They certainly worth more than the weird rating they got. All I know is that it does not deserve to bash at people keeping databases and forums, as they do their best, in their free time. Keep the good work. Send your maps to map4heroes too, you will certainly will have more comments there. and the rating is fair. (more complex rating system to avoid pricks)

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 20 Oct 2009, 06:57

Salamandre wrote:Artas, I checked also your maps, and they are very good, I apologize. They certainly worth more than the weird rating they got. All I know is that it does not deserve to bash at people keeping databases and forums, as they do their best, in their free time. Keep the good work. Send your maps to map4heroes too, you will certainly will have more comments there. and the rating is fair. (more complex rating system to avoid pricks)
Ok, peace. See, i also did not know you host the maps yourself - that is an important position.
Ironmallet wrote:
I checked out your maps. They're OK. 6/10 at most.

You need to get over yourself. Badly.
While i agree that few of them were not as good i could make, and probably deserve lower rating, i won't tolerate this with all my maps - i would like you to explain yourself now, because you sound like a smart-ass troll who thinks he knows what is a flawless map..

If you won't be able to contra-argument a point, you will be "stained", as a man, who runs his mouth free without any wisdom - a man, won't worth listening in this forum. Not like you i can argument any point when i say something is bad and good. Choose your words carefully before posting.

Ironmallet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironmallet » 20 Oct 2009, 10:28

Artas1984 wrote:While i agree that few of them were not as good i could make, and probably deserve lower rating, i won't tolerate this with all my maps - i would like you to explain yourself now, because you sound like a smart-ass troll who thinks he knows what is a flawless map..

If you won't be able to contra-argument a point, you will be "stained", as a man, who runs his mouth free without any wisdom - a man, won't worth listening in this forum. Not like you i can argument any point when i say something is bad and good. Choose your words carefully before posting.
It's truly hilarious that you think I should be explaining myself to you. Just goes further to prove that you have a massive, hurt ego. But what the hell, why not?

True, if I were to have rated the maps purely for technique, they would have received a much higher rating. Unfortunately, that's not the only thing that makes a good map. Your maps are too "realistic"; they're boring. HoMM is a fantasy game. Yes, this is just an opinion, but the ratings are just that: opinions.

In my eyes, you are "stained" already. A person who believes that everyone owes him some kind of explanations for voicing their opinions(by rating the maps). A person who thinks that he decides who's a troll and who's not(surely, a person who dares to criticize you and/or your maps must be a troll with no "wisdom"!), a person who think that his mapmaking abilities are some kind of a benchmark for the rest. You should have chosen your words carefully way before me.

You have a lot of getting over to do over your unwarranted pride.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 20 Oct 2009, 17:24

In Artas' defense, mapmaking is a chore. You spend long hours to get across what you're trying to accomplish. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does'nt. Happens. One minute you've thought you just designed the best map for a particular series. And it's a bust. On the other hand, you could throw a map together in little time, hope for the best, and it's a classic! Happens.
But to let ratings direct ability is futile. It eats at you. It's not worth basing your mapmaking on ratings. I never let it be my deterrer.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 20 Oct 2009, 22:23

Aa, ironmaulet, so it's a matter of taste - not everyone likes the type of benchmark i stick when criticizing maps, and the type of benchmark you propose - you, for example, value other things in maps - that could have been said in the beginning. It's natural.

And you said, that too much realism might be boring. On that i can agree, although too much "stuff" does not make a map good. A small example is when too many artifacts are in the map or there is almost a monster in every square inch. We of course can argue what standards are needed, though i think not in this thread.

Btw, do you actually play Heroes 3 at all to talk to me about it? Or Heroes 4 most? In Lithuanian Heroes 3 forums at www.games.lt i don't remember you, but you should remember me, bigjocker and cyborg - as we were the most constant Heroes 3 helpers around.

You sound like a bigshot a bit, i may have an ego, pride or whatever, but it does not come from "nowhere" dude, because Heroes 3 is one of the 2 games from like 100 others, to which i really dedicate my passion and strive for others.

Ironmallet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironmallet » 21 Oct 2009, 14:12

Hmm, I do remember having an account on games.lt, but it had a different name and I didn't really frequent that website much. I didn't even know it had a HoMM forum.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”