Majesty 2

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Sep 2009, 11:00

Dayum, that is one slow download, especially since Russia is right around the corner from here...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 14 Sep 2009, 13:37

English version demo has leaked. As far as I know publisher know about this fact but they only comment was "have fun" - so search yourself for that version if you want.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Sep 2009, 20:03

So, anyone play this yet?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Sep 2009, 07:49

Yes - it's inferior to Majesty unfortunately.

- The AI of heroes or monsters don't exist - they spot one target (flag/hero) and go after it ignoring all along them - treasure chests, wandering monsters/heroes, fights and so on...

- The economy also nearly don't exist - just build market place (which hasn't now Market Day) and Trading post and that's all. No income from taverns, no Gambling Halls (where you can cheat with save/load :P and quickly obtain much money), no way to select from which building take taxes regulary/once/none at all.

- No way to dismiss building/hero or stop repairing building by peasants.

- Heroes don't have they outfight skills - thiefs not longer robbing your houses or monsters lair, warriors don't attacks wandering monsters or lair, healers don't support heroes (they prefer attacking monster instead healing others), rangers don't expore lands, etc.

- Linear campaing - in Majesty 1 only 4-5 missions were unvavailable at first, now you have only 1-2 mission to choose in campaign and you can unlock only 1-2 per time. So if you can't done one mission, you can't select another and back to this one later - you have to try it until you are victorius.

- Lack of some heroes and spells (temples now have only 1 spell), buildings and other things - I feel like this game was desinged as demo and gold version will be true Majesty 2 (just like HV which is playable only with ToE :P).

- No random scenario - only 6 (IIRC) mission for singleplayer where maps are fixed - always same monster lairs location. No way to choose condition for map (as starting gold, starting building, wandering mobs, type of mobs, etc.)

+ You can select one hero at the end of campaign mission and hire him in next one.

+ Much of voices are the same or nearly the same as in Majesty 1.

+ Humour - just look at Blademaster and hear his words - don't he reminds you someone? ;) Same for buildings, heroes and campaign descriptions.

+ You can build both Elves and Dwarves or Temple of Agrela and Krypta now. They don't like each others but you can have them both.

+ Some heroes are better for fight with certain monsters - rangers easier defeat beasts, clerics undead and so on... exception Elves - they can easy slain everything (after some leveling up ofc).

+ Buying new equipment change look of heroes.

+ New flags - defense and warning. First one for defense building, hero, NPC, second one for keeping your heroes from certain place (like area where boss is wandering).

I think I could mention some other + and - but my final verdict is that until AI of heroes and monsters will be improved, this game is not worthy buying. Better to wait until gold edition will be available (so you will have patched version and probably also expantion(s)) then stressing with it now.

I am going back to play Majesty 1.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Sep 2009, 09:27

While i did find some AI stuff annoying (Rangers not exploring on their own anymore and Lords not doing much until you start getting to over 500+ rewards) i find that the heroes seem to die less then in majesty 1... though i guess that might just be them being more resilient or retreating more.

And healers do heal heroes that are near them and low on life... i think they just don't follow them as much, which is where the grouping mechanic comes in... though they should make it a lvl 1 research imo...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Sep 2009, 10:09

Healers like better to attacks Bearmen then healing nearly heroes. :P
If you remember Majesty Gold they also have attack spell but they liked to:
a) Healing others
b) Planting herbs

Now it seems they mainly function is to attack everything near them. They healing heroes only if they are near death so usually is too late (they need few seconds to cast spell).

And party system don't work as should. First party go and do what leader is doing and usually leader "is looking for a adventure" in hearth of your town.
Second, even if you make a Dwarf or an Elf as leader (these two races like go for flags) party still have trobles with choose what to do - they prefer "go home" or buying new stuff when fight is nearly.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Sep 2009, 11:50

Maybe i just haven't gotten to the harder maps yet, but from my experience they seem to be doing fine when healing, except when the monster has bigger then average damage (the Ogre mission had many deaths).

Now of course the AI could use some work (Lords need to actively take part in defending your kingdom, as their rank demands, or at least act like normal heroes, and heroes need to stop passing up free exp and money walking by because they're too high level, just make them less likely to actively help with reward flags that are below their level or in-town fights that aren't near them), but the whole idea is that the heroes should behave in ways that are not in synch with your goals....

You should go over to their forums, they're taking advice on this stuff anyhow... but then again those are the most mentioned ones anyhow...

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Oct 2009, 08:56

Played full version a bit. Agree with most what Avonu said. AI is screwed up. I don't say that M1 had exceptional one, but here heroes don't seem to care about ANYTHING, even their own guild, unless it has nnn$ on it.

Also, visual side is awful. Buildings, hero models & portraits, colors. All of this just blows.

This is how would look Majesty 1, if it would support higher resolutions:

http://www.majestypalace.com/images/vie ... ingdom.jpg

Looks way better to me. And that graphics was made about decade ago. I would rather pay for some new gold edition of M1 containing this small fix, than M2.

M2 is not a bad game, but it seems M1 is better almost in every way.. so whats the point? Thing I liked, is, like TT said, heroes really die less. But thats because of their low initiative, i guess.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Oct 2009, 06:36

To me it seems that they last longer in fights too, but i haven't played M1 for a while so maybe i'm wrong.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 24 Oct 2009, 18:10

When I read in a review that sandbox (random maps) was not included that was a deal breaker for me. Maybe they will include it in an update.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 03 Jul 2010, 15:54

Awesome game, considering i played Majesty 1 bfore of that one. Im Ojcar also in Paradox forums.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”