New campaing - trailer

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
LarvaExotech
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

New campaing - trailer

Unread postby LarvaExotech » 20 Sep 2009, 00:30

Hello!

I am developing a new campaing for Heroes 3: In The Wake of Gods. This campaing will be called "Battle of the Year 2010" and it will be released for public around october-november.

Campaing will contain 12 X-Large maps created by hand, not using random map generator nor obstacle generator at all. This campaing will offer vary sides that are finding solutions for their new strange problems.

Campaing will offer new heroes and some few scripting, but it will be like regular H3 Campaings. It won't be total game conversion like WOG campaings, just normal scenarios that should be wogified and played as usual game. There will be no "epic" battles like battling with 10000 black dragons, it will be similar to regular H3 Campaing.

Campaing will be hard, but not impossible, its just for more experienced players.

First map is completed and is being playtested and second map is almost created.

Here are some screens:

I hope you will like it :))

Please post your comments etc.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 20 Sep 2009, 00:44

Looks promising. And in case you were wondering, HoMM3 or WoG Campaigns are still very popular, even nowadays.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 20 Sep 2009, 03:42

You will have to script instructions and win conditions, as without them you will have many bugs for completing each map. I am sure you know it, just in case, a reminder.

Also its great to hear you did not use the obstacle tool, times of uniques layouts will be back then, too many maps nowadays done in a couple of hours with the obstacle generator, a shame. I like that you placed every town (in screens) linked to its main terrain, it is quite rare.

12 XL maps? I was hoping to make myself the first WoG campaign and I was thinking at 4-5 maps for one year of work. You beat me.

Just a suggestion: your minimap looks like a common random map. Try to adjust better the different terrains so the player is every moment happy to look around. It helps. Random artefacts usually destroy the playability, be them in AI hands or in human player's.

LarvaExotech
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LarvaExotech » 20 Sep 2009, 09:16

Salamandre wrote:You will have to script instructions and win conditions, as without them you will have many bugs for completing each map. I am sure you know it, just in case, a reminder.
I don't really get, what do you mean ^^ I have played like thousand of skirmish games (random maps) with wogify and goal was always to be the last warlord standing - and it worked every time (though many times i got owned by 6 teamed up ai on impossible in first weeks:P).

Maybe you think about that wogify could replace my quest artifacts that are needed to pass? If yes then, well i'm not very sure, but I believe that if they have custom text specified then they wont be replaced at all in wogification. At least it works for me, played my map few times and those "specified" artifacts were always in place.
Also its great to hear you did not use the obstacle tool, times of uniques layouts will be back then, too many maps nowadays done in a couple of hours with the obstacle generator, a shame. I like that you placed every town (in screens) linked to its main terrain, it is quite rare.
Of course! Manual placing of everything is and art :)), even if my maps are not so beautful (but I dont think they are ugly as well). I just dont like how obstacle generator works, it just plopls thousands of objects that dont even match the terrain, and they are placed without any sense. Well its understandable because script won't be better than a human. I believe that obstacle generator could be used to fill some empty spaces by placing few blue squares and apllying layer, but i still not convinced for it.
12 XL maps? I was hoping to make myself the first WoG campaign and I was thinking at 4-5 maps for one year of work. You beat me.
Creating map takes about 10-12 hours, its not too much, about few days of workin :))
Just a suggestion: your minimap looks like a common random map. Try to adjust better the different terrains so the player is every moment happy to look around.
I should try that but I dont really care that much because player wont end opened all map usually, and it still dont work brilliantly with black parts of shroud on minimap.
Random artefacts usually destroy the playability, be them in AI hands or in human player's.
Screen with random artifacts is of course on AI side, because of construction of that particular map it wont be possible for player to get there earlier than AI unless it get stuck with starting city and wont move at all (what sometimes happens to me on random maps). On player side I always place random artifacts but with number so it will never lead to unguarded relic artifact :)) Its just the way I boost incredible weak AI, because its very weak even if playing on impossible difficulty. I sometimes add AI-Only town events that build full magic guild at day 30-35, because usually AI "forgets" about building it even if it has 100+ of each resource, it ends with fully built AI town on month 3 with magic guild lv1. And AI can still use town portal/dimension door/elemental/imposion spells quite good, why shoudnt it have that advantange? When player is battling necro forces played by AI I am making an erm script that adds some % of killed wandering stacks to necromancer's hero army, because AI *ALWAYS* let monsters go if they want to escape.

Its quite stupid on random maps that I'm battling agains 6 teamed up "impossible" AIs and when I'm taking their castles, they have mage guild lv1 80% of time. I know when AI has TP or DD spell because it takes eternity to calculate possibilites in AI turn on my weak computer and it happens quite rarely, mostly he get it from Lv4 book or pandora box.

In order to boost AI you should also place some magic wells near player cities because AI tend to attack cities without mana points. Thats just how Heroes AI works..

Its just the way I tweak AI, its not fair but it makes game more challenging :))

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 20 Sep 2009, 09:29

LarvaExotech wrote: I don't really get, what do you mean ^^ I have played like thousand of skirmish games (random maps) with wogify and goal was always to be the last warlord standing - and it worked every time (though many times i got owned by 6 teamed up ai on impossible in first weeks:P).
It has been reported that SoD campaigns, when wogified, can't be finished. I am quite sure that if you set a special win condition WoG may ignore it, in campaign mode. It is very different from normal game.

The best way is still to script the win condition, so the player can go safely to next campaign map. But you can test without and see how's going.

LarvaExotech
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LarvaExotech » 20 Sep 2009, 09:48

Salamandre wrote:
LarvaExotech wrote: I don't really get, what do you mean ^^ I have played like thousand of skirmish games (random maps) with wogify and goal was always to be the last warlord standing - and it worked every time (though many times i got owned by 6 teamed up ai on impossible in first weeks:P).
It has been reported that SoD campaigns, when wogified, can't be finished. I am quite sure that if you set a special win condition WoG may ignore it, in campaign mode. It is very different from normal game.

The best way is still to script the win condition, so the player can go safely to next campaign map. But you can test without and see how's going.
Ok, I'll check this out. Thanks

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 20 Sep 2009, 15:18

LarvaExotech wrote:
Salamandre wrote:
Random artefacts usually destroy the playability, be them in AI hands or in human player's.
Screen with random artifacts is of course on AI side, because of construction of that particular map it wont be possible for player to get there earlier than AI unless it get stuck with starting city and wont move at all (what sometimes happens to me on random maps).
Even so, I would suggest at least make them "ART 1"s "ART 2"s, etc. rather than purely random. You want to at least know the strength of the artifacts. And remember- anything the AI gets may not get equipped (particularly if you get multiple swords, shields, &c.), and therefore give the player a nice bonus when defeating it!

LarvaExotech
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LarvaExotech » 20 Sep 2009, 17:09

Well, its good point, I will consider it :))

LarvaExotech
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LarvaExotech » 30 Sep 2009, 17:09

Some new screens from 3rd map of campaing :))

Return to “Wake of Gods”