Why?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Aug 2009, 11:06

You mean other than the fact that your shampoo costs increase? Well, that is, of you ever use shampoo... :tongue:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 04 Aug 2009, 14:11

Long hair is just nicer, it looks good :)...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Why?

Unread postby Borsuc » 04 Aug 2009, 16:22

Banedon wrote:Why do people wear long hair when all it does is be heavy, hot and expensive (both in time and money) to maintain?
Beauty is subjective. I don't have long hair and don't find long hair special but some do.
Banedon wrote:Why do people wear heels when all it does is hurt one's ankles?
Beats me.
Banedon wrote:Why do people smoke when it is unhealthy, expensive and smells pretty bad to boot?
humans aren't perfect robots, they make irrational choices. some are weaker in will than others... (I don't smoke and hate it mind you)
Banedon wrote:Why do people get drunk when they know it will result in a hangover?
same as above. I dunno, weak will, prefer pleasure over soberness? :P (for the record, I am the complete opposite -- I find pleasure, not happiness, a waste)
Banedon wrote:Why are there so many more men in science than women?
Because men have a more analytical mind than women, and this is a fact. The woman brain is more dense (smaller but same neurons on average) so it's "more advanced" but that's geared more towards emotions (right brain), not so much for analysis.

I believe this answers your other two questions as well.
Banedon wrote:Why do people lay flowers on graves? Why not something else?
Because flowers are beautiful and are life. And because it's tradition.

Can I ask, why "something else"?
Banedon wrote:Why do people get buried in the first place (instead of cremated, for example)?
Why do some people get cremated instead of buried?

Don't talk about waste, that's the least thing you worry about when someone you care for dies :P
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 05 Aug 2009, 13:56

Pol wrote:And why is Banedon asking such questions? Are you pondering something serious?
Not really, but I have been in a rather pensive mood recently, so ...
ThunderTitan wrote:FYI, that's code for "you don't put out i don't care if you're pretty"!
That's your opinion; in mine, I try to avoid judging someone based on physical appearances - in fact, the more someone stresses physical appearance, the lower an opinion I have of him / her.

Here's another thing. If (some) women care enough about physical beauty to wear long hair, why don't they also wear beautiful clothes, makeup, etc?
Borsuc wrote:Because flowers are beautiful and are life. And because it's tradition.

Can I ask, why "something else"?
Well why not? Besides, if you just leave flowers, they will die sometime too ... you could plant a new tree maybe?

As for being cremated instead of buried, waste can accumulate. I know some cities / towns with graveyards in the city proper for example. Considering the location, they would be prime land for development or parks, etc, but they are occupied by graveyards ...

I'll add questions to the original post when I think of them.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 05 Aug 2009, 14:07

As for being cremated instead of buried, waste can accumulate. I know some cities / towns with graveyards in the city proper for example. Considering the location, they would be prime land for development or parks, etc, but they are occupied by graveyards ...
Some people don't see the dead as "waste".
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 Aug 2009, 15:59

No they're brilliant fertilizer. ;) And there can be trees there, and grass and stuff. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 05 Aug 2009, 16:00

Parks :)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 05 Aug 2009, 20:38

And ornamental cups and candle holders.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Aug 2009, 09:07

Or even candles... for the black mass and all.
Banedon wrote: That's your opinion; in mine, I try to avoid judging someone based on physical appearances - in fact, the more someone stresses physical appearance, the lower an opinion I have of him / her.
Dude, respect != attraction.

Plus, what does that have to do with me implying that most people are lying when they say that inner beauty counts more (heck, you really saying that you'd take a woman that you considered ugly but had a great personality over one that's pretty but with only an ok personality?), and made fun of that by saying that they'll take sex over looks too.
Banedon wrote:Here's another thing. If (some) women care enough about physical beauty to wear long hair, why don't they also wear beautiful clothes, makeup, etc?
Coz they catch more flies with nudity then face paint.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 17 Aug 2009, 15:18

Added a second set of questions for everyone's answering pleasure.
Kalah wrote:No they're brilliant fertilizer. ;) And there can be trees there, and grass and stuff. :)
Is it? Because last time I was in a graveyard, the graves themselves were sown with rocks, making it impossible for weeds / plants / etc to grow. I suppose that's to be expected since weeds growing on a grave would be a sign of neglect, but still it means no fertilizer. And in any case, aren't bodies placed in a coffin before burial?
ThunderTitan wrote:heck, you really saying that you'd take a woman that you considered ugly but had a great personality over one that's pretty but with only an ok personality?
Yes. Are you saying you won't? 8|
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Aug 2009, 15:25

Banedon wrote: Yes. Are you saying you won't? 8|
Ha, when and if you get married you need to get the missus over here so she can prove she has a great personality...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 17 Aug 2009, 16:49

How does an airliner know the liquid (in a glass container, of course) you are bringing into a plane is water, not concentrated sulphuric acid?
I'm curious about this too.
Why do we call our parents "papa" and "mama" instead of father and mother?

I don't have an explanation, just an observation: child language is different in that it's simpler, I suppose. Mama is easier to say than mother (maybe the th sound takes some practice to learn, even for native speakers? just speculation...)
Why do we call our mothers "mom" or "mommy" instead of "mama"?
Mom is shorter and mommy is a diminutive and expresses a different attitude towards the mother, i.e. a shade of meaning expressed by a different word.
Why are there so many countries in the world instead of just one (= no need for moneychangers, immigration officials, etc)?
Why are there so many languages in the world instead of just one (think of all the time saved at school!)?
How can these two questions be serious, as you stated? I'm serious, I really wanna know how one can actually ask this without being a 2 year old.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 Aug 2009, 15:19

How does an airliner know the liquid (in a glass container, of course) you are bringing into a plane is water, not concentrated sulphuric acid?
At the Courthouse where I live, if you have a bottle of water, they ask you to take a sip. :rip:
Why do we call our parents "papa" and "mama" instead of father and mother?

Mama & Dada are some of the first words learned by a baby. :baby:
Why do we call our mothers "mom" or "mommy" instead of "mama"?
Terms of endearment. :)
Why are there so many countries in the world instead of just one (= no need for moneychangers, immigration officials, etc)?
Why are there so many languages in the world instead of just one (think of all the time saved at school!)?
It would be a really boring world if we were all the same. :D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 19 Aug 2009, 10:15

@TT: You can keep waiting because I probably won't be getting married :D
HodgePodge wrote:At the Courthouse where I live, if you have a bottle of water, they ask you to take a sip.
They do? I've been to many airports but I don't recall being asked to drink. Asked to empty the container or perhaps discard it, yes - some airports don't allow containers > 100ml in volume, even if empty. But then other airports do allow it and I've carried water on board a plane before ...
HodgePodge wrote:It would be a really boring world if we were all the same.
On the other hand, I wouldn't have to sort through so many languages while hunting national anthems :)

(Of course there'd be only one national anthem, but then there's nothing stopping lots of state anthems, yes?)

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 19 Aug 2009, 16:13

Why do you ask these questions?
Last edited by Sure Valla on 17 Apr 2013, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Aug 2009, 17:24

Why not? :) Or simpler, boredom.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 04 Sep 2009, 11:46

@Sure Vella - it's given in the first post:
Banedon wrote:As one might guess, I've been in a rather thoughtful mood lately.
Kalah if I go to Norway and find someone who doesn't understand English, will he / she understand "mama"?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2009, 12:21

Banedon wrote:@TT: You can keep waiting because I probably won't be getting married :D
Fine, then your "living in sin" partner then... whatever.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Oct 2009, 10:16

Looks like there really is a use for cemeteries 8|

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-new ... source=rss

Here's another bunch of random questions, too:

Why are fingers longer than toes?
Why do people object to killing tigers but not to killing mosquitoes?
Why do we shed tears when we yawn?
Why do we shed tears when we are sad?
Why do people kiss as an expression of love when there're an infinity of things that could've been done instead?
What's the difference between love and like?
How do Muslim restaurant owners survive Ramadan when all their patrons are fasting?
Why do people abhor killing when the body slaughters bacteria and viruses everyday?
Why do people fall in love with people of the opposite gender instead of the same? (I know there are homosexuals, but not many of them)
Why doesn't grass die when it's submerged in a rainstorm (which can be for hours)?

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 22 Oct 2009, 10:55

Why do people start threads I would really be interested in participating in when it's Halloween and I don't have time to read everything?

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Return to “Campfire”