Windows 7

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Windows 7

Unread postby darknessfood » 04 Jun 2009, 13:23

It is almost there. There is a RC on the market, which you can use for free for a period of time. In a few minutes, I will install this OS. Did any of you guys did that? Let's talk about it here :)...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jun 2009, 15:26

I've been thinking of reformatting my old HD. Guess if Win7 is working properly, that's what I'll use.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 04 Jun 2009, 17:44

Yeah, my school has one computer that had Windows 7 installed, and imho in works pretty fine. But I wouldn't rush into anything, and I hope that Windows 7 doesn't turn out to be a failure like Windows Vista...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jun 2009, 06:03

Bah, i never change to a new windows until i have to... and i'm glad i'll be able to skip Vista this time...

M$ needs to apply the KISS principle to their OS's...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 05 Jun 2009, 22:20

Tried installing W7, but the dvd wasn't my friend. So I'm back at good old XP :)...

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 05 Jun 2009, 22:49

Obviously it has that heavy graphics effects and BIG BUTTONS like in Vista to make it unusable or annoying...

you know I just need an OS too, not just video games. ;|
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

evilp
Boy Scout
Boy Scout

Unread postby evilp » 07 Jun 2009, 10:35

darknessfood wrote:Tried installing W7, but the dvd wasn't my friend. So I'm back at good old XP :)...
WIN7 can be install without dvd-rom...

I was install the win7 7127(x86) last week (when UEFA Champions League final)...
before this I install 7086 less than 2 months..
I love win7.... :-D
:| but a few soft can't be run in win7...

for h5...you need to download a d3dx9_25.dll...
Last edited by evilp on 07 Jun 2009, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 07 Jun 2009, 12:04

See, that's exactly why I'm reluctant to upgrade to Win7, I don't want to run the risk of my games not working, especially the older ones.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 08 Jun 2009, 14:04

So .. its exactly the same resource hog as vista, but it haz shiny taskbar and new wallpapers.. I need to think about it

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 08 Jun 2009, 15:03

I can't speak of compatibility, but I read everywhere that the Windows 7 RC runs great on older computers.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jun 2009, 15:56

Angelspit wrote:I read everywhere
Wow. Everywhere? Like, while you were on the bog? And while watching TV? Not that this would mean you'd be in two different places, I mean... :D

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 08 Jun 2009, 17:20

Angelspit wrote:I can't speak of compatibility, but I read everywhere that the Windows 7 RC runs great on older computers.
"older" is pretty indefinable. I know that it uses as much RAM and HDD space as Vista. That means it automatically wont go to my PC since there are only 2gb of RAM, which I need for any modern game.
And I dont need 3rd, since virtual memory addressing system in windows(32) allows to use only 2 per application needs, with little modification it allows 3, but thats different story.

So the bottom line - if I want Vista or 7 and I dont want to feel any difference in RAM-related perfomance - I need to buy one more gig of RAM.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 12 Jun 2009, 00:49

MistWeaver wrote:So the bottom line - if I want Vista or 7 and I dont want to feel any difference in RAM-related perfomance - I need to buy one more gig of RAM.
Thing is, that amount of RAM will not get you any difference if you switch to something bloated like Vista, because it's eating it for nothing!

Imagine having to upgrade your computer for the same game for some reason without being better. (ignore graphic shit because it is supposed to be an Operating SYSTEM, not a video game).
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 12 Jun 2009, 18:32

I plan to get windows 7 in Christmas but'd to know how game compatilities work.....special with games like HOMMIII&II and M&MVI-VIII
Patience is less common than the common sense

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 13 Jun 2009, 16:08

Storm-giant wrote:I plan to get windows 7 in Christmas but'd to know how game compatilities work.....special with games like HOMMIII&II and M&MVI-VIII
You can find a compatabillity test online :)...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 03 Aug 2009, 12:03

Dont be afraid of that older games wont run, if you have DX10 and need the newest DX9 which can run most old games, just install it.

This forum gave me the right answers which convinced me on that.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-games/183 ... ctx10.html

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 03 Aug 2009, 20:30

As incompatible as it seems to be, at least Microsoft tries to make things keep working on their side. Apple tosses their whole OS out every 6 or so years for a complete incompatible remake. Besides, most of the "incompatibility" problems aren't really Microsoft's fault. They provide the basic framework of compatibility but it's really up to the program's makers to ensure they are up to snuff on the latest OS (Vista caught Nvidia and HP with their pants down, so many video card and printer issues when that came out because of bad drivers).

So far, I like 7 a lot more than Vista. It seems to run a lot more smoothly with the same resources Vista did.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Aug 2009, 10:15

Yeah, because just throwing out an OS out there and waiting for everyone else to make their stuff work with it is everyone else's fault...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 05 Aug 2009, 19:37

Linux is better in the aspect of compatibility I think. There are no "Linux XP", "Linux 7" or "Linux 98" or "Linux 2000" or "Linux Vista". It's just one kernel that gets upgraded. It's like having infinite service packs for Windows XP, which is considerably better as the old stuff, even old drivers, will probably still work.

Too bad not many hardware devs write drivers for Linux (what keeps me away from it).

Oh and Linux can run most Windows apps with WINE (a program). Can Windows run Linux apps?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 06 Aug 2009, 17:14

Borsuc wrote:Can Windows run Linux apps?
Can my car toast bread? No. Do I care? Nope. :D
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Return to “Campfire”