Why?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Why?

Unread postby Banedon » 27 Jul 2009, 11:07

Why do people wear long hair when all it does is be heavy, hot and expensive (both in time and money) to maintain?
Why do people wear heels when all it does is hurt one's ankles?
Why do people smoke when it is unhealthy, expensive and smells pretty bad to boot?
Why do people get drunk when they know it will result in a hangover?
Why are there so many more men in science than women?
Why are there so many more women in psychology than men?
Why are there so many more men in chess than women?
Why do people lay flowers on graves? Why not something else?
Why do people get buried in the first place (instead of cremated, for example)?
Why are there places where naked women entertain men but not vice versa (not to my knowledge anyway)?

**** Edited another set of questions ****

How does an airliner know the liquid (in a glass container, of course) you are bringing into a plane is water, not concentrated sulphuric acid?
If (some) women care enough about physical beauty to wear long hair, why don't they also wear beautiful clothes, makeup, etc?
Why do we call our parents "papa" and "mama" instead of father and mother?
Why do we call our mothers "mom" or "mommy" instead of "mama"?
Why are standard work hours 9am - 5pm instead of (say) 10am - 6pm?
Why do people get married instead of just live together?
Why are there so many countries in the world instead of just one (= no need for moneychangers, immigration officials, etc)?
Why are there so many languages in the world instead of just one (think of all the time saved at school!)?
When does a person stop being a boy / girl and become a man / woman?
Why are some women unable to breastfeed when humans are mammals?
Why are some animals born able to swim / walk etc but not humans?

PS: I mean these as serious questions, although I suspect they are largely too expansive to have a direct answer.
PPS: As one might guess, I've been in a rather thoughtful mood lately.
PPPS: If any of the admins feel any of these questions inappropriate, by all means edit them out.
Last edited by Banedon on 17 Aug 2009, 15:15, edited 3 times in total.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Why?

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Jul 2009, 12:13

Banedon wrote:Why do people wear long hair when all it does is be heavy, hot and expensive (both in time and money) to maintain?
Forces you to wash it regularly, so you don't stink all the time any more... at least that's what i tell myself when i get the urge to cut it...
Because no one trusts short people... they always try to take over the world.
Why do people smoke when it is unhealthy, expensive and smells pretty bad to boot?
Start with peer pressure, ends with chemical dependency.
If you know your stuff it doesn't, and when it does, it's kinda worth it. The whole waking up next to an ugly person u just had sex with is worse.

Fire is relatively new... so while some used it, hiding the potential infection factor in the ground was still preferred. And some religions incorporated it in them, so it stayed.
Why are there places where naked women entertain men but not vice versa (not to my knowledge anyway)?
I'd link you, but i'd get banned... so i'll just go with Chippendales for the time being.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 27 Jul 2009, 15:51

Why do people wear long hair when all it does is be heavy, hot and expensive (both in time and money) to maintain?
It looks GOOD. Obviously, this is subjective :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 27 Jul 2009, 19:18

Banedon wrote:Why do people wear long hair when all it does is be heavy, hot and expensive (both in time and money) to maintain?
With the current economical crisis a friend of mine asked once when in hairdresser will women now cut their hair shorter in order to cut expenses? The hairdresser claimed that the cheapest is to keep your hair as long as they grow.
IIRC long legs are a sign of good health and sexual attractor for the opposite gender (for men and women both). Do not remember the reference.
For pleasure at one moment, some comfort at other moment can be sacrificed. Hangover is a sideeffect, not the desired effect.
In my contry up to master degree there are much more girls than guys in science. Once children and family comes, women set them as higher priority. To be at top in science one needs to constantly work on the subject.
meh?
It used to be swords, gold and virgins, nowadays it is flowers.
There are different ways used for getting rid of dead bodies used. Is cremation forbidden in your country?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Jul 2009, 19:51

I'm afraid your only two choices are "Because" or "Why not".
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jul 2009, 10:51

Pitsu wrote:
With the current economical crisis a friend of mine asked once when in hairdresser will women now cut their hair shorter in order to cut expenses? The hairdresser claimed that the cheapest is to keep your hair as long as they grow.
Well duh... cutting your hair costs money. Unless you do it yourself...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 30 Jul 2009, 11:31

Pitsu wrote:With the current economical crisis a friend of mine asked once when in hairdresser will women now cut their hair shorter in order to cut expenses? The hairdresser claimed that the cheapest is to keep your hair as long as they grow.
That's a good point, I never thought about it that way. It'll even out sometime though (need more shampoo to wash hair, after all).

I know some people think long hair looks better. I've been trying to cut away visual appearance from my perception of people for a while though. After all, everyone agrees it is inner beauty that counts, not physical, and yet ... we see long hair.
Pitsu wrote:There are different ways used for getting rid of dead bodies used. Is cremation forbidden in your country?
It's allowed, I just wonder why bother with getting buried? If nothing else it takes up space, and a large graveyard ... why spare the land?

Here's another random question as well - I had a lot more, but looks like I tend to forget them quite fast, so I should write them down next time!

How does an airliner know the liquid you are bringing into a plane is water, not concentrated sulphuric acid? If you are carrying it in a glass bottle or something of course?
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 30 Jul 2009, 12:59

everyone agrees it is inner beauty that counts
Whoa there :rofl: Sweeping generalizations much?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 30 Jul 2009, 14:06

I volunteer as the black swan to that generalization; outward beauty bloody well counts, and counts for a lot in many circumstances.

But is truth beauty, and vice versa?
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Jul 2009, 06:24

Banedon wrote:After all, everyone agrees it is inner beauty that counts, not physical
FYI, that's code for "you don't put out i don't care if you're pretty"!

Banedon wrote:How does an airliner know the liquid you are bringing into a plane is water, not concentrated sulphuric acid? If you are carrying it in a glass bottle or something of course?
Anal probing...

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 31 Jul 2009, 18:42

And why is Banedon asking such questions? Are you pondering something serious?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 31 Jul 2009, 21:39

Pol wrote:And why is Banedon asking such questions? Are you pondering something serious?
My thoughts exactly.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Jul 2009, 21:59

Seri-what now?

The Campfire isn't the place for seriousness. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 31 Jul 2009, 23:34

Because it looks cool, most men don't like short hear women either...
It's because the woman looks taller that way. Most woman are smaller than the guy she's dating, this helps even things out.
In some countries/cultures it's a status thing, when you smoke you are cool there[
Because it loosens you up, makes you do things you normaly wouldn't do, some people need that[/quote]
Not giving an answer to that one :P...
They have more emotion than men. They understand that stuff better.
Why are there so many more men in chess than women?
Well, more men have better tactics than women, ever saw a woman leading an army? Don't think so...

To make it looks nices, so you don't come back to a depressive place...
Because otherwise the smell would be bad, no fresh air. It also saves room.
Becaue woman aren't as sexist as men. That is why we RULE!!!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 01 Aug 2009, 05:01

Well, more men have better tactics than women, ever saw a woman leading an army? Don't think so...
It's a legend, but... what about Blenda? http://www.badassoftheweek.com/blenda.html

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Aug 2009, 10:44

Eh?

You seems to be well unaware of the history, just one name for others, Margaret Thatcher.

In fact is known that women have a different tactic style, more straight forward, more deadly and with shorter time.

@tLD
You don't need a legends, there is enough of figthing women in the real life, fortunately they're fighting with papers and hard will instead with real soldiers.

Honestly all these questions are pretty strange and shows that you're ignoring some sides of life. :creative:

Here's one old rule how to get a a reply to any questions.> "Narrow your question and the solution will emerge."
(And it's true.)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Aug 2009, 14:23

In Norway, Blenda is the name of a detergent...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 01 Aug 2009, 16:49

Is it a bad ass detergent? :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Aug 2009, 17:30

It's for washing clothes, what do you want from me...

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 04 Aug 2009, 08:45

whats wrong with long hair? 8|

Return to “Campfire”