Heroes 5 = broken

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Sneakgab,
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes 5 = broken

Unread postby Sneakgab, » 15 Jul 2009, 14:04

Initial (legally purchased) DVD didn't work, re-purchased it pirated, didn't work, took back pirate DVD and got a new one, didn't work.

Got it copied. Ok, finally install works, but crack does not not. So I get a no-dvd fix and finally it starts up.

But now, it crashes every 15-30 minutes.

Anything I can do about this (without having to download patches that are above 30 mbs [so no 100mb patches, too much for me to download])?

Elias_Maluco
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Elias_Maluco » 15 Jul 2009, 15:03

Seriously, WTF is wrong with you?

Just patch the damn game and quit whinning nonsense.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Jul 2009, 15:07

Without being impolite... ( Kalah --> :slap: <-- Elias_Maluco ) it's probably best to get the patches; they sort out all sorts of things. If your line is too slow to d/l them yourself, could you perhaps look into the possibility of downloading them from some other computer and transferring them via USB key or DVD?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Jul 2009, 15:14

Which HoMM V game have you purchased? I recommend Tribes of the East, the standalone expansion that requires no patches and is overall better than the previous two games. There is one patch (3.1) but it is not critical at all.

What are your computer specs? Do they meet the system requirements?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Elias_Maluco
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Elias_Maluco » 15 Jul 2009, 17:14

Kalah wrote:Without being impolite... ( Kalah --> :slap: <-- Elias_Maluco )
Ok, sorry. Im not normally that rude.

But what reason someone would have to not download a patch just because is 100 MB? Even if he's using dial up (and I doubt it), is still possible to download it, only more painfull, and still less painfull then having a broken game.

HOMM 5 has a fair share of bugs and crashes and unbalances even after the patches, nobody should even consider playing it unpatched, specially if we are talking about plain HOMM 5 (not ToE).

If you really cant download the patch, just give up on it, man. And try to get your money back from the place you bought the original.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Jul 2009, 18:32

Well, like M said, it also depends on which game version he has - and possibly the PC specs... but let's face it: for a Heroes game, the Ubi-made one has huge patches. Downloading from vanilla to 1.6 is a total of some 225mb (depending on language version) - which is insane compared to the 30-40 for the original H4. So it might not be possible for some to download them - at least not at home.

But I agree that without the patches, H5 is unplayable. If there is no way they can be obtained, forget about the whole thing.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 17 Jul 2009, 03:03

Downloading those patches may be painful if you have dial up but you can use a download manager to ease the pain. Just start the download when you go to sleep.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Sneakgab,
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sneakgab, » 17 Jul 2009, 15:47

It's not a case of speed. My line is fairly fast. The problem is that here in the land where companies rip off consumers to an absurd extent (South Africa), there is a thing called download cap. We pay exhorbitant amounts to get inferior lines, absurdly sh!t service, cap limitations, and oh yes... getting fuc@#$ in the @$$ at every opportunity by Vodacom. 225mb is indeed too much for almost anybody here to spend on just a patch.

However, I have been thinking of getting the expansion. The problem is, instead of the retail stores having their halls decked with such delicious candy as they should be, they are decked with @#$% and finding such gaming morsels can be difficult.

Oh and by the way, I DID return the game. But this is South Africa (the land where consumers get screwed) remember? Therefore, I left not with green in my hand but white in my @$$.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 17 Jul 2009, 16:05

don't get mad at us because your country sux lol
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Sneakgab,
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sneakgab, » 17 Jul 2009, 16:14

Whoops, almost forgot to mention that I do have the game working. It crashes much less frequently now that I have lowered animation speeds.

This is a bit off topic, but unworthy of a new thread for itself: Does the comp still cheat in Heroes 5 (other than by starting with additional resources)?

I've noticed that thankfully they don't cheat as in Heroes 2, where they bee-lined for any unoccupied castles, unguarded mines and collector heroes. That made that game incredibly annoying and increased tediousness greatly having to constantly run your hero around. Not too mention I'm not sure it increased difficulty much, since you could easily lure the moronic comp and sometimes destroy significant portions of his army and acquire artifacts with little cost due to this.

However, in a battle I fought, my hero had 14 defense and the comp's hero had 1. Despite this, his squire stack had 2 more defense than mine! (25). They had cast endurance with their inquisitors, but surely an advance level endurance could not grant such an insane amount of defense? I checked for enchantments and I believe the hero's defense stat which can be viewed in battle accounts for artifacts. In any case, she was only a level 2 knight and I had previously ransacked their many artifacts from their main hero whom foolishly wandered into my kingdom without much of an army and thus was ''pillaged'' in probably more ways than one by my men (clearly the computer is about as dumb as ever).

I just don't know where the boosts the comp had were coming from. Is it possible for mage creature artifacts to provide such a boost (the comp was haven, and no mage players had been defeated, but I suppose they could have temporarily captured a town and recruited a hero with ultimate artificer and absurd knowledge that fled from a battle or something)?. Aren't the artifacts limited to a +4 boost or some such?

Just really curious where the boost was coming from. Also, the hero had a luck of 1 but immediately got two lucky strikes in a row (literally 1 in a hundred isn't it?) and got lucky strikes every 2 or three attacks afterwards. Meanwhile my morale of 5 did not result in a single trigger. I suppose that could easily be co-incidence.

I think the comp's troops also had an inexplicably high(looking at the hero's attack stat and the [lack of] buffs) attack, if I recall correctly).

Finally, am I to take it that towers are not affected by ''shield others'' and deflect missile? My marksman with a defense of 35 (Archer commander and expert endurance) with deflect missile and being adjacent to my squires still took 4-5 casualties a shot from towers (so about 15 a turn). If it is just that towers are ridiculously powerful, that mean that firing against marksman without all these buffs (so having say 15 defense instead of 35 and no deflect missile and shield others) they could surely kill 100 a turn?

Is this some kind of bug in the original version? Or is the damage from towers unaffected by defense, deflect missile, and shield others?

Is there something I am missing? This isn't the type of cheating the computer usually employs in the Heroes series (usually just map and resource cheating).

By the way, I don't have any problem with the comp cheating in general. Since the comp is utterly stupid, it of course requires huge boosts. I'm just curious; is the cheating, or are there ways to buff your troops that are not indicated in the hero's attack stat or by enchantment on the troops?

gaspi2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby gaspi2 » 18 Jul 2009, 13:55

Endurance:
none- +3
basic- +6
advanced- +9
expert- +12

squire has naturally high defense so it's possible. (I thibk 8+1+9 = 18)

to that AI luck - yes, I noticed it too, AI has lucky strikes whenever it suits him the best and doesn't care about % chance.
Yes, AI cheats, e.g. more recources, more troops per week, summon even 100 creatures with zero mana pool (tru summon creature spell), no casualties from random battles etc...(I withnessed (with map reavealing cheat) that with pack of archers and lots of peasant he took out pack of spectral dragons without single casualty)

Sneakgab,
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sneakgab, » 18 Jul 2009, 16:46

Thanks for the answer.

As I said earlier I don't mind most cheating, but cheating which reduces fun through reducing the strategic possibilities or otherwise is generally a problem.

2 examples of this:

Unpredictable cheating can make precision in your plans impossible, thus reducing fun and possibility.

Map cheating reduces strategic possibility for ambushing minor heroes and doing things unseen and whatnot.

Finally, I don't like that the computer doesn't take casualties from neutrals. If there are strong neutrals guarding one path to your castle, and your main hero going through the other, then perhaps the forces at your castle can hold out against an enemy weakened by having to go through the neutrals while your hero continues doing whatever he was doing. Or maybe you want some neutrals to block a path. Perhaps your considering destroying the neutrals leading to your base instead so that the enemy can't get undead from them (thinking they would get more undead than casualties).

The enemy comp going through them like they don't exist just makes things less interesting

Predictable cheating that doesn't reduce possibility on the other hand, I don't mind. Give the computer all the gold, troops, e.t.c you want. That's fine. Just don't give them advantages that make the game less interesting than it could be when they are involved and make the game more random.

Speaking of random, I wonder if it wouldn't be nice if the moral bonuses were predicted by the turn bar. How are you supposed to carry out a precision plan when suddenly units can gain or lose moves? I never noticed it till now, but that's one reason I like undead, they\the battle with them is more predictable.

Hmmmm, seems that in general it is more difficult to predict turn order in Heroes 5 than in the rest of the series.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”