HOMM III question

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HOMM III question

Unread postby 125125 » 07 Jul 2009, 00:51

I have been playing the HOMM series for quite a while since the first one came out and I am totally hooked still on the third game, but something keeps on bothering. I play most of the maps on expert or impossible and I know the tricks on what to do and junk for leveling up and stuff, but recently I got back into playing and I waited like 3-4 months before I attacked. I was going on a rampage killing every hero I saw, until I come across the supposed best kingdom army strength hero and I face him with my trusty spells and artifacts. He had three units left and they were pretty big so I was going to blind them and then take them out one at a time as I going to reieve my units. I went to my fire magic section and was going to cast blind, but it wouldnt affect any creature. I ponder if he could have the blind eye artifact and I thought that must of been it because the creatures he had were marksmen, griffins, and a couple of arch devils left. I kill him and lost a lot of my units about a fourth of both my shooters, and was looking forward to seeing what artifacts he had. He had no artifacts and I save it then reload the map, and I see the hero I was fighting. The following week or so since I had a lot of money from the castles I decide to go searching for the hero. I come across the hero and all he had were tatics, wisdom, logistics, pathfinding, and earth. No resistance or expert fire magic. So I was wondering what is up with the blind will not affect anyone.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 07 Jul 2009, 10:49

Were you fighting on cursed ground by any chance?

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 125125 » 07 Jul 2009, 15:03

Nope I was fighting on grass and for most of the game I was using level four spells. More I think about it most of the time when I fight head to head vs the AI they seem to block my blind spells like nothing, although I am not that surprise considering it is on expert.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 07 Jul 2009, 18:50

The truth is that certain mind spells sometime doesn't work. Normally the hero should be having at least legendary trickery artifact "Badge of Courage" - but in the case of the AI it may not be so.

Here are several explanations, none of them clear - let call them a speculation. However it's likely that it's reminder of the bug in the AI, where AI "knows" skills, luck, morale, unit abilities and artifacts possession differently from you. The occurrence of these strange phenomenons is very rare and it does almost never happen in H3C. You however could encounter them in the vanilla RoE or AB, not often but they were presented.

But always when you have problems look for "Badge of Courage" (block all mind spells). Undead hero, Expert Resistance or Expert Fire Magic. Here is more, but these are most likely to hit you straight from the behind.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Bart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bart » 27 Jul 2009, 19:16

The badge of courage blocks all mind spells ? I though it gave +1 morale !

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Jul 2009, 19:41

Yes, it's a bug/hidden feature. Quite handy sometimes.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Jul 2009, 20:16

Hmm, did it say "This spell will not affect anyone!", or did the enemy resist the spell?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”