Is Combat too good (Heroes IV)??

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which statement below best suits your view on the effectiveness of the combat skill category?

Combat is way too good.
23%
Combat is somewhat too good.
24%
Combat is about as good as it should be.
42%
Combat isn't good enough.
3%
Combat isn't good enough.
3%
I am not sure.
5%

Total votes: 62

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Is Combat too good (Heroes IV)??

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 29 Mar 2006, 17:37

Does anyone think the Combat skill category (including Melee, Archery and Magic Resistance) is too good in Heroes IV? A well trained hero with combat can devastate armies, lessening the role of troops compared to previous Heroes installments.

What do you think of this? Should the effectiveness of the combat skill have been lessened?

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 29 Mar 2006, 17:42

Vote Combat is way too good.

But its not that the Combat skill is amazing and great I think that the other skills just aren't as good or aren't used as much as combat is. It does make sense, though, that combat would be a very good skill because it is very important in a world where you fight for a living.
Be Without Haste
Live the Moment

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 29 Mar 2006, 18:52

Vote Combat is as good as it should be

Viewed seperately, all skills have their uses. All more or less of equal value.

Combat is more useful as a secondary skill than other skills though.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Mar 2006, 20:30

Voted: Combat is as Good as it should be! :tsup:

The Combat Skill is great! How else could those weak Mages & Sorcerers be kept alive? :-D

Although, coupled with some other skill trees such as Tactics make might Heroes really Mighty (and meaty)! :D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 29 Mar 2006, 20:36

Good as it should be, and a must for spell casters and tactics.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 Mar 2006, 23:34

It's as good as it should be.

It's great for the individual hero, but for anything else? It's amazing just how much skills like tactics or the magic schools can do for your army.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 30 Mar 2006, 00:35

Combat itself is as good as it should be. Melle and ranged secondary skills are slightly too powerful.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 30 Mar 2006, 12:17

Combat is about as good as it should be.

Not much to add here, besides its a very good allround skill :)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Mar 2006, 14:16

I voted I don't know, because I can't be sure what's meant by the question.

Does it include the subskills of Melee, Archery and Magic Resistance?

Does it mean compared to other skills?

My personal opinion is that the combat skill was mishandled.
frozd wrote:Good as it should be, and a must for spell casters and tactics.
If I want to build a mage, why should have to have him focus in a might skill to ensure survivability? Or if I have to have him spend his time drinking potions, what was the point of giving him magic?

Combat in H4 was vital enough to limit options, which is why I feel it was mishandled and therefore I voted, I don't know.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 31 Mar 2006, 14:30

Bandobras Took wrote:I voted I don't know, because I can't be sure what's meant by the question.

Does it include the subskills of Melee, Archery and Magic Resistance?
Yes it does. That is why the poll question reads... "Which statement below best suits your view on the effectiveness of the combat skill category?"

Sorry that wasn't clearer, but I thought is was implied since I wrote "combat skill category" and not just "combat skill".

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 31 Mar 2006, 17:51

I think that combat is fine the way it is, but the problem that many people have is that combat can be combined with other things(potions of immortality and Mask of Fear like items) to make a nigh invincible hero. Mages do not have as many artifacts to make themselves dangerous, pretty much any artifact on the map makes a barbarian stronger, and so I think this is where the problem lies.
Hell has frozen over...

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 03 Apr 2006, 01:29

Combat line itself is about balanced, espically the rest of the lineups (archery and melee espically is balanced) , however, Combat itself is way too important and to a lesser extend resistance also.

It's not the problem of the skills themself, its the fact all the other magic and tactic skill is essentially unusable without combat.... combat is not too good stats wise, it's simply the fact that it's a pure neccesity that almost every hero must have.

Here's a logical comparason... lets say roughly the same troops, one led by a hero with high combat +tactics, the other with a hero high on 2 magic skills..... who will win?

Obviously the combat + tactic guy will, cause a) he'll move first thx to tactics, and then b he'll most likely kill the magic hero in one round cause hte magic hero got no combat skills.... now we have a side with hero vs a side with no hero, the stats buff +tactics will almost guarntee victory unless the other side also manage to kill the combat hero in one round (which is obviously significantly harder.

Of course, in H4 you can carry mutliple heroes for a reason, however the very fact that a hero without combat usually can't survive a half decent hit makes this skill a abosalute neccesity.
The river of time wash away all heroes

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 03 Apr 2006, 02:18

Unless you are a playing for variety, you will always choose to anchor your advanced skill to combat.

There are a few exceptions, but very few and far between.

Magic + Combat
Tactics + Combat
Scouting +Combat

Its rare to build the interesting advanced classes... (Crusader, Demonologist, Cardinal, Seer, etc.)

Mostly you end up with a variety of heroes but all have combat somewhere in the mix.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 03 Apr 2006, 07:37

gravyluvr wrote:Its rare to build the interesting advanced classes... (Crusader, Demonologist, Cardinal, Seer, etc.)
Actually, Crusader is very common (plays a key role in sanctuary strategies and it is anyways, automatic morale is a huge bonus.

You may find some reavers (gives magic mirror) as well, and Demonologist, if possible to build, is a very good (and often used) class.

I agree with you for the rest.

Not only that, but some get better bonuses from x+combat skill combinations. Fireguard, Assasin, Paladin bonus is surely better than Battle Mage and Beastmaster ones.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Apr 2006, 08:08

Combat is way too good.Yoy need it always.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 07 Apr 2006, 12:21

DaemianLucifer wrote:Combat is way too good.Yoy need it always.
Always? Certainly not! :disagree:

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 08 Apr 2006, 15:54

Voted - Combat is about as good as it should be

Very useful, but not ultra-necessary to survive. Agree with RollingWave about being C. balanced.
The only thing I hate in combat is its 1st slot in skill menu giving it huge control in class development.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 09 Apr 2006, 10:34

It as good as it should!!

Sure it has SOME weakness, but still it's essential for most heroes to keep them alive. :D
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 11 Apr 2006, 10:33

It's as good as it should be..But even though I voted that, you need it most of the time if you want your hero to survive in any major late-game battles..

DarkeN Q
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkeN Q » 20 Apr 2006, 13:50

The Combat is somewhat unbalancing (way too good), but so are many other things in HOMMIV. GM Magic Resistance is surely the wickedest contraption of NWC team, leading many decent mapmakers to downfall by allowing them to place
nearly-invincible dummies on the dumb AI's side, instead of finding better way to make battles interesting.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”