It's lame how spell Books don't help at the Arcane Library

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
discostu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

It's lame how spell Books don't help at the Arcane Library

Unread postby discostu » 24 Jun 2009, 23:03

Ugh this killed me last game. I spent 20,000 gold for Ranger to buy a tome of light magic at an artifact merchant because I wanted to get the Resurrection spell from the Arcane Library on the map.

And it didn't work :( . Tomes / spell books don't allow you to purchase spells you don't have skills for from the arcane library. This pretty much ruined my game . 20,000 sure would have come in handy :) !

I wish it told you this in the game so there was that big nasty surprise.

Is this is a bug or do you guys think it makes sense that it is like that?

Elias_Maluco
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Elias_Maluco » 24 Jun 2009, 23:10

I dont get it. If you got the tome, you dont need to buy the spell.

Tomes are like scrolls: while you have then, you can cast spells you are not supposed to be able to cast. Arcane Libraries are exactly like Mage Guilds, except not free.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 24 Jun 2009, 23:12

The Tome contains all of the (original) Light Magic spells apart from the Mass versions, and enables you to cast them without having even Basic Light Magic (though if you haven't then they're pretty poor).
The Arcane Library offers some 4th/5th level spells that can be purchased if the Hero is able to learn them.
Why did you think that the Tome would enable you to buy Resurrection at the Arcane Library? It doesn't give you Expert Light Magic.
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

discostu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby discostu » 24 Jun 2009, 23:38

From the fan manual and in-game description as well (I think), the description for the Tome of Light Magic is "Allows all light magic spells to be cast without any skill in this school."

I missing something? I can't be the only guy who thought that this meant that it uh, would allow me to cast light magic spells without having a light magic skill. Which I thought would mean that I'd be able to learn or buy light magic spells from the arcane library.

So you guys are saying I'm totally wrong? I don't get it then . The book just gives me the ability to cast levels 1-3 resurrection spells? Sorry I don't understand.

discostu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby discostu » 24 Jun 2009, 23:40

Oh so I already have resurrection then, in my spell book? I'm pretty sure I checked and didn't notice any more spells. I thought that the book just allowed me to learn light magic spells from towers and what-not -- I didn't realize it gave me all the spells right away.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 25 Jun 2009, 01:40

discostu wrote:Oh so I already have resurrection then, in my spell book? I'm pretty sure I checked and didn't notice any more spells. I thought that the book just allowed me to learn light magic spells from towers and what-not -- I didn't realize it gave me all the spells right away.
All the tomes work this way - while equipped they grant the ability to cast all spells of the given type, at whatever level of expertise you have (basic level if you do not have the skill at all). If you didn't equip the tome, then the spells would not have appeared. Note that the spells are NOT learned; if you remove the tome, you lose the ability to cast the spells.

lumpoor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lumpoor » 25 Jun 2009, 08:26

Well, it is quite obvious. It gives you light spells, but not the ability to learn them. Tome of light magic only temporarily allows you to cast some spells, but you don't have expert light magic because of that

So it was no surprise to me that it didn't work

Return to “Heroes V-VI”