The Chaos Conspiracy has been released!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Qusari
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Qusari » 22 Jun 2009, 20:03

Ahhhh.....I think I got it now. thanks. Theoretically and also practically I should now about game dialog and stuff. But it is not so easy from the players perspective. Hope that I can solve the rest without needing more spoilers.cheers.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 22 Jun 2009, 22:44

I've got a little question. I've noticed from getting a new computer recently and copying the Might and Magic 6 folder, that the game does not actually have to be "installed" to work, as long as all the files are in the same folder. I.e. you could cut and paste the Might and Magic 6 folder to where-ever you want and the game will still play.
Does this mean I could potentially create a folder for the Chaos Conspiracy, and another one with the unmodded Might and Magic 6? And then play either one when I feel like it, without installing/disinstalling to switch between them?
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Jun 2009, 05:23

Yes, I have about 8 folders of MM6 - for different versions of Enlisgh and Russian versions. All of them work well.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 23 Jun 2009, 22:11

Awesome, thanks! :D
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Jun 2009, 23:49

Macros the Black wrote:I've got a little question. I've noticed from getting a new computer recently and copying the Might and Magic 6 folder, that the game does not actually have to be "installed" to work, as long as all the files are in the same folder. I.e. you could cut and paste the Might and Magic 6 folder to where-ever you want and the game will still play.
Does this mean I could potentially create a folder for the Chaos Conspiracy, and another one with the unmodded Might and Magic 6? And then play either one when I feel like it, without installing/disinstalling to switch between them?
Exactly which files need to be copied allowing that, or do you have an additional mod that allows the no CD option?
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 24 Jun 2009, 00:13

jeff wrote:Exactly which files need to be copied allowing that, or do you have an additional mod that allows the no CD option?
I just copied the whole folder - everything - (actually I cut and pasted) and it worked just like before without having to reinstall. If you have multiple folders (each with the full game inside them) I suppose each would seperately use the cd when you run them? I wonder wether or not you can run the game multiple times at the same time in different windows ;| - I guess not, since both games would be using the cd at the same time.

I think the main reason this works is because the game has the save game folder inside the main folder, rather than on the C drive in the users map like most games have nowadays. Thus, it doesn't need to refer to anything other than what's inside the own folder.
So instead of saying "start at the C drive, then go there, then there, etc" it says "start at the folder I'm at, then go there".
That way, you don't need to reinstall since all the code referring to parts still work - they can still find what they're being told to find - and you can have multiple copies of the game because they're not interfering with each other.

That would be how I imagine it to work with my limited knowledge of computers. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me :D

Anyway, lots of older games work like that. When you click "install" it actually really only "unpacks" the files.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I just copied my whole Might and Magic 6 folder and pasted it again, and windows automatically called it "Might and Magic 6 copy". Then I opened the newly created folder, double-clicked the exe file, it opened the game and everything was there. Including save games and mods. When I opened the other exe file (the original), it seemed to reopen the game instead of opening a second one. Since both games are now exactly the same, I can't really check wether it replaces the openend game or just redirects saing "hey, you've already opened this game".

Edit 2: Okay, so I used Grayface's MM6controls utility to change the controls in one version of the game (R to T), and left them normal in the other version. I opened the game with the changed controls, tested that it worked. Pressing T opened the resting screen, R did nothing. Then, I alt-tabbed and opened the un-altered version of the game. Still the controls remained the same: R did nothing, T opened resting screen. As a final test, I quit the game, then opened the un-altered version, and this time R opened resting screen and T opened the calendar as normal.
So, it would appear that:
1. You can have multiple - different - copies of Might and Magic 6 on your computer.
2. When you run one, it runs that version and not another version.
3. When you run a second one while one is still running, it simply opens the window of the one still running and doesn't change the version of the game or open a second game window.

Since the game itself doesn't even take up a Gigabyte of space, I would advise anyone who has plenty of room to always copy the game folder and use the second version of the game to install a mod on.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 24 Jun 2009, 10:02

Alrighty,
I have downloaded everything and I'm just about to copy the new files over.

My question is,
Why was the MM6 engine used for this, instead of 7, or even better 8?

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 24 Jun 2009, 13:52

Variol wrote:Alrighty,
I have downloaded everything and I'm just about to copy the new files over.

My question is,
Why was the MM6 engine used for this, instead of 7, or even better 8?
For the MM6 map-world.

Don't forget to 'install' the dynamic files, as well.

BDJ
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

http://www.mediafire.com/BDJs

kognefaure
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kognefaure » 24 Jun 2009, 13:54

spoiler:
Hey, about Danu's scrolls, I just figured out what should be done with them thanks to a woman in Kat'an. Now I went to the tree, but when it asks me the 3rd word of the incantation, it always says "Wrong!". I've re-decrypted three times the whole incantation to see if it is really wrong, and it isn't: I always get the same 3rd word. Is it a bug?

Two bugs:

When getting out of Koschei's lair, the party suddenly falls from several meters above the lair's entry. This killed my party a few times as I rushed back to Cherobog for healing.

Undead dragons are not known as "undead" for the game. I mean, the Destroy Undead spell doesn't work on them, and it is quite unexpected.

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 24 Jun 2009, 15:08

kognefaure wrote:spoiler:
Hey, about Danu's scrolls, I just figured out what should be done with them thanks to a woman in Kat'an. Now I went to the tree, but when it asks me the 3rd word of the incantation, it always says "Wrong!". I've re-decrypted three times the whole incantation to see if it is really wrong, and it isn't: I always get the same 3rd word. Is it a bug?
Two players on this site have already obtained Danu's treasure, so there is no problem with the game.

HINT:

Pay close attention to what word each question asks for. It may not ask for each word in the order of the decoded incantation. All answers are 'case sensitive'; carefully pay attention to capitalization.

kognefaure wrote: Two bugs:

When getting out of Koschei's lair, the party suddenly falls from several meters above the lair's entry. This killed my party a few times as I rushed back to Cherobog for healing.

Undead dragons are not known as "undead" for the game. I mean, the Destroy Undead spell doesn't work on them, and it is quite unexpected.
The 'falling' has been identified and corrected.

The Skele Dragons are **not** affected by the Destroy Undead spell. This will not change.

BTW. Because of the massive reward attached to the Koschei quest, it is designed for a level 80+ party. Even then, it's quite difficult. Good luck!

Thanks for the inputs.

BDJ
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 24 Jun 2009, 16:47

kognefaure wrote:spoiler:

Two bugs:

I don't know what you mean by "dynamic" BDJ.

Are these files to do with weapons and armour etc? I ask because all those items look the same, but some of the values have changed.

I'm just in Sutters Bay and finished the Bob... temple. A bit tough at lvl 3, but not too bad.

Maybe I should have gone to the Island the person at the inn talked about?

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 24 Jun 2009, 17:56

Variol wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "dynamic" BDJ.
If you take a look at the download site, you'll notice a zip file named Dynamic Files 6_10_09.zip. This zip contains the patch and most up-to-date changes for the game as of 10June. I'll be issuing a new one next week. Hence, the term 'dynamic'; it will be periodically updated with thr latest game changes (most of them are clerical).
Variol wrote:I'm just in Sutters Bay and finished the Bob... temple. A bit tough at lvl 3, but not too bad.

Maybe I should have gone to the Island the person at the inn talked about?
You can wander about anywhere you like in the game at any time. That is, if you like to get annihilated by creatures you are not yet ready to face. However, to progress through the game, you'll have to start to pay attention to the following;

1. The Seer. His advice is both necessary and essential to game completion.

2. Dialogs. This game is not a 'shooter'; it's an RGP/Adventure. Many clues and hints are found only in the dialogs. If ya don't carefully read (and perhaps take notes on certain key dialogs), you will not advance very far in the game.

3. Message scroll content. Same reason as for the dialogs.

So yes. You probably should have listened to The Seer at game beginning.

Good Luck!

BDJ

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 24 Jun 2009, 22:10

I assume you are referring to "THE" seer. The one on the hill in "former" Ironfist area?
I did not go see him, if it is him. It's a bit tough to get to, at level 1.

..and my 3 Archers and 1 Cleric say, "it is a shooter"! :)

I'll head back there now. I'm about done in former Misty island anyway.

..got some good stuff there..

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Jun 2009, 22:18

Variol wrote:I assume you are referring to "THE" seer. The one on the hill in "former" Ironfist area?
That is his location after you first meet with him at the inn below the Castle, where tells you to go look for Tamara. Once you have found her your party should have advanced enough to fight its way up the mountain. As Jim said you are free to travel as you wish, but go to several of the areas too soon, you die. :D

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 24 Jun 2009, 22:30

Variol wrote:I assume you are referring to "THE" seer. The one on the hill in "former" Ironfist area?
I did not go see him, if it is him. It's a bit tough to get to, at level 1.

..and my 3 Archers and 1 Cleric say, "it is a shooter"! :)

I'll head back there now. I'm about done in former Misty island anyway.

..got some good stuff there..
No point in talking to the Seer right now, he won't open his door for you. BDJ meant right when you start the game, when you choose the difficulty, the Seer tells you to go to the... whatever it's called that replaces the Misty Islands.

I'm with you though, when I started the game (on Warrior difficulty) I did note that the Seer told me to go there, but I thought I'd clear out everything in Ka'tan first as that's the starting area. After some tough fighting, I went to the Misty Islands place and everything was way too easy for a while"since I was a few levels higher than I was supposed to be ;|

I get that I should have gone to the Misty Islands / whatever it's called. But in the original MM6, as example, your first main quest is to get to Ironfist. Nevertheless, it seems like we're meant to clear out New Sorpigal first. I'd rather always do the side quests and stuff of the place I'm at, for as far as it's possible. The enemies in Ka'tan were hard to beat, but still possible, so I assumed that's what I was supposed to be doing first.

So you're not the only one confused about that :)

SPOILER (first Sutter's Bay Visit):
Btw I think it woulda been cool if when you crossed the bridge where usually the goblins ambush you, instead of an ambush, nothing happens. And then the player is like "huh? Hmm no ambush?" and then when you cross the *other* bridge you get ambushed :p
I was actually sorta expecting something sneaky like that, kinda dissapointed it didn't happen :D
Last edited by Macros the Black on 24 Jun 2009, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

sherwin_p
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Wow

Unread postby sherwin_p » 24 Jun 2009, 22:40

So I got around to installing the game and played it last couple days for a few hours and I'm really liking it. Much harder then the original MM6 (Chose Warrior). I've died a lot of times so far becuase I like to explore and well you can't explore too far or death comes fast. Also money is hard to come by for me at least. Wheres the hints and tips guide? Time is hard to come by but I'll try to spend an hour/day (lot to ask when you have a 3/1 year old).

Anyway GREAT JOB...looking forward to FINAL version! I'm glad people are modding my favorite series of games!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Jun 2009, 22:44

Macros the Black wrote: But in the original MM6, as example, your first main quest is to get to Ironfist. Nevertheless, it seems like we're meant to clear out New Sorpigal first. I'd rather always do the side quests and stuff of the place I'm at, for as far as it's possible. The enemies in Ka'tan were hard to beat, but still possible, so I assumed that's what I was supposed to be doing first.
Let me emphasis that is not mm6 or it does not relate to any of the mm's. We as a team made an effort to remove all traces of the mm universe and that effort continues through this beta test. Many things were done to surprise (like where the fly scroll use to be) or smack :slap: (you die when you go to where you would have gone) those that try to play it as if it is only mm6 with different text. It is not, it uses only the map and some aspects that required too much programming to change. Let loose of all things mm6 and enjoy it for what it is, a fan made game that happens to use an old and loved gaming engine.
sherwin_p wrote: Wheres the hints and tips guide? Time is hard to come by but I'll try to spend an hour/day (lot to ask when you have a 3/1 year old.
Unfortunately there isn’t one yet. BDJ didn’t ask any of us to write one and it is still premature as this is still a beta, the last beta but a beta all the same. Glad you are enjoying it, you are an example of one of the target audiences, those that love a good RPG.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 24 Jun 2009, 23:24

I hope Tamara was (spoiler)

In the cage on the Island that, when you click on it, it says Thank you! That was weird.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Jun 2009, 00:04

Variol wrote:I hope Tamara was
No she is not there, she will be traveling with you for a short time as an NPC when you do find her. ;)

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 25 Jun 2009, 00:08

Well, I better get back there then...

Return to “Might and Magic”