Movies

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jun 2009, 11:48

Buying movies nobody's ever heard of? Good girl. *patting Milla on the back* :)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Jun 2009, 12:26

Well, mainstream gets boring pretty quickly ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jun 2009, 20:33

One thing is enjoying a wide variety of movies, another is avoiding "mainstream" in a misguided attempt at trying to appear smart.

No I'm not referring to Milla :tonguehands:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jun 2009, 22:01

Oyh! Who you calling 'misguided'? :P

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Jun 2009, 22:42

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:The last movie I got is called "Spirited Away" by Hayao Miyazaki.
This is a great movie, like just about everything he makes.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2009, 06:47

Corribus wrote:
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:The last movie I got is called "Spirited Away" by Hayao Miyazaki.
too many things to do, not enough time... growing up sucks...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 04 Jun 2009, 17:27

Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.

It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.

A police officer at Bangkok's Lumpini precinct station would not confirm the identity of the dead man to The Associated Press, but said the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park hotel had reported that a male guest killed himself there.

Carradine was a leading member of a venerable Hollywood acting family that included his father, character actor John Carradine, and brother Keith.

In all, he appeared in more than 100 feature films with such directors as Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Hal Ashby.

But he was best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin priest traveling the 1800s American frontier West in the TV series "Kung Fu," which aired in 1972-75.

He reprised the role in a mid-1980s TV movie and played Caine's grandson in the 1990s syndicated series "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues."

He returned to the top in recent years as the title character in Quentin Tarantino's two-part saga "Kill Bill." Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.

It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.

A police officer at Bangkok's Lumpini precinct station would not confirm the identity of the dead man to The Associated Press, but said the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park hotel had reported that a male guest killed himself there.

Carradine was a leading member of a venerable Hollywood acting family that included his father, character actor John Carradine, and brother Keith.

In all, he appeared in more than 100 feature films with such directors as Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Hal Ashby.

But he was best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin priest traveling the 1800s American frontier West in the TV series "Kung Fu," which aired in 1972-75.

He reprised the role in a mid-1980s TV movie and played Caine's grandson in the 1990s syndicated series "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues."

He returned to the top in recent years as the title character in Quentin Tarantino's two-part saga "Kill Bill."
:tired:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jun 2009, 17:31

Terminator: Salvation is getting hammered in Norwegian reviews. I'm not surprised, as the current trend of action-action-action seems to have taken over even the potential story-winners; the two first Terminator movies were laced with an excellent story and a proper, exciting "thriller" theme. The last two have been all about things blowing up, and computer effects.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 04 Jun 2009, 18:44

I just watched Cloverfield and it probably was the worst movie I have seen, ever. Super shaky camera which brings no adrenaline but sea sickness, boring characters and stupid plot - I wonder why critics loved it. And I can't believe that JJ Abrams was the film's producer - one of the genius creators of Lost.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 04 Jun 2009, 20:49

Corribus wrote:
I saw it last night. It was absolutely brilliant! Oh, I how I enjoyed it! I kept hoping it wouldn't end. Just like I did with "Howl's moving castle" :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jun 2009, 06:01

arturchix wrote:I just watched Cloverfield and it probably was the worst movie I have seen, ever. Super shaky camera which brings no adrenaline but sea sickness, boring characters and stupid plot - I wonder why critics loved it. And I can't believe that JJ Abrams was the film's producer - one of the genius creators of Lost.
You must have seen only good movies...

And i found it nice that for once we got some characters that are kinda assholes, like normal people...

And Abrams didn't create Lost alone (and genius it wasn't).
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 05 Jun 2009, 08:52

I don't recall any other movies that can make me vomit because of the camera work. And I did say "one of the genius creators".

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 07 Jun 2009, 03:50

arturchix wrote:I don't recall any other movies that can make me vomit because of the camera work. And I did say "one of the genius creators".
Ever see 'Blair Witch Project'?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 07 Jun 2009, 09:50

Or the Spanish "Rec".
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 08 Jun 2009, 14:15

arturchix wrote:I just watched Cloverfield and it probably was the worst movie I have seen, ever. Super shaky camera which brings no adrenaline but sea sickness.
lol, you've downloaded crappy cam-rip

/jk

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Jun 2009, 15:52

Bought Sin City a few days ago. I knew the movie, I saw it before, but now there was a 2 disc special edition staring at me for €7.50. He looked so cute, I took it home and petted it all night :baby: ...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jun 2009, 06:42

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 22 Jun 2009, 09:24

Looking forward to Up.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 22 Jun 2009, 16:25

I today watched "Knowing" - there were some great special effect scenes and the ending completely caught me off-guard even though I was quietly laughing most of the time. Apart from that, let us classify "Knowing" as an another popcorn movie that will be forgotten in no time. I loved the following review - those who have seen the film will understand. :D
I've discovered a set of letters predicting when a catastrophically bad film is about to occur. They are NICOLASCAGE and, once again, the man who's given us more turkeys than Christmas is party to another shocker.
Not that I have any objections against the performance of Mr.Cage - I'm already accustomed of his martyr face expressions. And as always, to make the film more realistic the main character has to drown his sorrows in alcohol.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jun 2009, 17:30

Return to “Campfire”