A First Clash of Heroes Preview

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 May 2009, 00:40

Ubisoft allowed IGN to take a <a href="/http://ds.ign.com/articles/985/985797p1.html">first look at Clash of Heroes for the Nintendo DS</a>, as the company gets ready for the E3 show (thanks Eternor). We finally get to learn what gameplay will be like:

<i>"The meat of Clash of Heroes resides in the battles, where players act as commander and give orders to their troops on the field. From a top-down view you can see your army on the bottom screen and the enemy on top. There are various colors of troops and players must arrange like colors into lines of at least three. A horizontal line will act as a defensive unit and a vertical line will attack the enemy. Your stylus is used to drag troops around the field, but you only have a limited number of moves per turn. At the start of each turn reinforcements will be added to your army in random locations. As the battle rages on your spell meter will fill up, and once it's full you can unleash a devastating attack."</i>

And producer Erwan Le Breton explains the reasons behind the new art style:

<i>"Being a DS game, we also wished to explore a different art style, something more 'Anime' that suited our gameplay and platform. The game's narrative focuses on heroes during their younger years, so we wanted to find a representation of the environment that properly speaks to their age. At the same time, we kept the bright, colorful, fairy flavors and tone associated with M&M."</i>

Expect a lot more info when E3 starts.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1243384810
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 27 May 2009, 01:20

Oh, so its basically puzzle quest, but with Heroes. Meh. Also, I still really don't like the art style.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 27 May 2009, 05:42

"Oh, so its basically puzzle quest, but with Heroes."

Yeah, as it was told before by someone (can't remember who that was). Interesting game, but I won't buy a DS to play with it.

"Also, I still really don't like the art style."

But it's sooo cuuuute. :P

Anyway, I heard and saw there wil be eight units per faction, which could be interesting. Maybe we'll see the new guys in Heroes6 too? By the way, are those really bears in the elven army, or I need to wear glasses?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 27 May 2009, 07:13

>>>Being a DS game, we also wished to explore a different art style, something more 'Anime' that suited our gameplay and platform.

Read: It sells better. ;P

>>>At the same time, we kept the bright, colorful, fairy flavors and tone associated with M&M.

Someone should explain them difference between MM and HoMM names because I think he spoke about Heroes series here.

I wonder what would "skulls" look like here?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: A First Clash of Heroes Preview

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 May 2009, 07:29

Ravenheart87 wrote:>Yeah, as it was told before by someone (can't remember who that was). Interesting game, but I won't buy a DS to play with it.<

Good thing the target audience is people that already have a DS (which is more ppl then those that have Wii's, PS3 and 360's combined).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 27 May 2009, 10:05

Avonu wrote:>>>At the same time, we kept the bright, colorful, fairy flavors and tone associated with M&M.

Someone should explain them difference between MM and HoMM names because I think he spoke about Heroes series here.
You're right, the art style in Might and Magic RPGs were never bright and colourful... :devious:

ImageImageImageImage

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 27 May 2009, 10:22

Marzhin - I am fully aware how MMs looks like (all 9 games). But Ubisoft making "Clash of Heroes" is not making MM game but "Puzzle Quest" clone with much worse graphics (IMO). And even more - they are creating game which is connecting with HoMM V not with MMs or even "Dark Messiah", so why they refer to "Might and Magic"? That was my point.

And I like Puzzle Quest with its all graphics but Clash looks just ugly to me. It look like some 12 years old drawed all pictures - not like professional work.

hobowu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hobowu » 27 May 2009, 12:37

Marzhin wrote:
Avonu wrote:>>>At the same time, we kept the bright, colorful, fairy flavors and tone associated with M&M.

You're right, the art style in Might and Magic RPGs were never bright and colourful... :devious:
MM7 and 9 lost the colourfulness of their predecessors, MM7 and 9 had this slightly darker, grimy feel to it. (MM8 still had the occasional dash of rainbow).

Indeed, I'm replaying MM7, and there are still places (even with torchlight) that remain rather dark.
At night... can't see a thing :S (I end up looking at my minimap for everything), and miss the chest lying to my side because I can't see it!

maygwan
Scout
Scout

Unread postby maygwan » 28 May 2009, 19:09

looks horrible but i hate ds console and games

Donsta
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Donsta » 30 May 2009, 04:14

Gaahhh!!

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 30 May 2009, 06:10

I think that if they ported Heroes II or III to the DS I would buy it in a second. Not only would that be easier than making an entirely new game, but it would certainly be better than how this will turn out.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 May 2009, 17:24

H3 would require a magnifying glass peripheral... but H2 might work...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 02 Jun 2009, 14:33

What an atrocity.
Infiltrator out.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 Jun 2009, 16:11

I found a nickname for that game: Rash of Herpes. :)

As a matter of fact, I often end up with 'herpes' when I try to type 'heroes'.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 07 Jun 2009, 12:00

Angelspit wrote:I found a nickname for that game: Rash of Herpes. :)

You should get your keyboard disinfected. :D

Good one, though!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Sermil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sermil » 19 Jun 2009, 19:23

>> "Puzzle Quest" clone with much worse graphics

Umm, I think there were Infocom games with better graphics than Puzzle Quest. I mean, I loved the first game, but the graphics were pretty much two static pictures and a generic jewels.

Anyway, I went & checked it out at E3. They had a playable demo of the battles. The actual battle seemed at least reasonably interesting -- assuming they balance it well. My real concern was with the strategy layer, which looks to be pretty nonexistent -- just walk around and sometimes fight things and sometimes a little talking. Maybe even less than PQ's overmap layer.

Maybe it was just a demo of the battles, but that worried me. Isn't Heroes without the contrast of the strategy and battle maps.

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 22 Jun 2009, 22:37

Hey, just got by something here,
In the first interview/devdiary I got over this: ''ashan was only the beggining''

Hmm, could Ashan be connected to the old universe? That would make my day right there!
So, now we know that the new(heh maybe not new :) ) universe has a cosmology, is an actual cosmos (planets(worlds), stars....) and is not just a simple fantasy setting with no greater background and such!
Maybe Ubi will get to achieve the old MM feel after all if he(lol) sets things straight in the new universe, and would definately make things great if he(lol again) connects the old and new universes!

But, then again, that seems highly unlikely if I go through some old interviews that were made with ubi..........ah well, I shall wait and see
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Jun 2009, 00:39

If you ask me, if they were saying stuff like that, it's just a cheap way out. Now they aknowledge the old universe, but still dont do anything with it. So in fact I don't think it would change anything...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 27 Jun 2009, 18:05

Angelspit wrote:I found a nickname for that game: Rash of Herpes. :)

You have no idea how often I have written herpescommunity.com on browser. Especially back then when I used to visit that place.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Return to “News”