Movies

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 May 2009, 07:00

darkness likes it... now i can stay away... huzzah...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 04 May 2009, 09:37

Don't want to sound like I'm making publicity or anything, but I found on Play.com some great DVD boxes at very low prices (less then half than what you find in stores) and I thought some of you guys might be interested as well - namely those of you living in EU/UK. X-Men 6-disk trilogy, Alien 9-disk quadrology, Die Hard quadrology and others at about 10 EUR shipping included. I'm only gonna give 1 link here, but I've actually spent like half a day yesterday browsing through their DVD Bargain pages and ordered 30-40 great titles for less then 100 EUR all together:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/3-/139824/2 ... dpr=139824

If you haven't heard of them, I can guarantee they're more than reliable (I stopped using Amazon about 2 years ago after I discovered Play), but now the prices seem lower than ever, so I had to pass by and share it with you (hope the mods won't regard this as spam - in which case, apologies)
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 May 2009, 10:37

I don't want to sound as if i'm making publicity, but there are places where you can get stuff for free.... :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 04 May 2009, 17:16

Touché. :P But it's all a matter of... "location" let's say: some have more money than time, so they use the money to buy time; or vice-versa, some (have to) use the time to get stuff in the most "cost effective" way, as they could hardly get it otherwise. ;)

I prefer to spend 5 EUR but 1 min of my time to get a nice DVD (with cover, deleted scenes & everything), rather than 10 times less money, but 10 times more time looking for the free alternative.

I agree some movies & games come in shops at outrageous prices. That's why I'm happy when I find places like the one I mentioned above. There I can be finally satisfied with what I get for the money. And I can only hope in the future there will be more places like that, but less piracy. That way movie/game producers would make the same money, but we could easily get all our movies & games at no more than 5-10 bucks/piece. :butterfly:
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 04 May 2009, 21:11

Zamolxis wrote:I prefer to spend 5 EUR but 1 min of my time to get a nice DVD (with cover, deleted scenes & everything), rather than 10 times less money, but 10 times more time looking for the free alternative.
You don't know where to look :P
I have a bunch of DVDs myself. The other reason I don't like them is they come bundled with commercials for goodness' sake. I paid the damn movie, why the hell do I have to suffer through commercials and ads before seeing the damn movie? :disagree:
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 04 May 2009, 21:20

If by "commercials" you mean trailers, that must mean you're watching those movies alone or just with the partner/family. In my case I have quite often friends over, and the trailers just warm up the atmosphere until everyone gathers around the TV from wherever they are around the house. :)

If by commercials you really mean advertisements (to beer or whatever...), then you must change your DVD provider. :P I have around 200 DVDs on my shelves, and I don't think there's any of them which has sth else than just a couple of trailers in the beginning. Some maybe have a bit too many trailers, but you can skip that.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 May 2009, 06:39

Zamolxis wrote: I prefer to spend 5 EUR but 1 min of my time to get a nice DVD (with cover, deleted scenes & everything), rather than 10 times less money, but 10 times more time looking for the free alternative.
U R doing it WRONG!!!!!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 May 2009, 13:57

LotR fan? Then watch this! :-D

The Hunt For Gollum
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 May 2009, 06:44

What was that about the LotR trilogy being mostly about people walking (Clerks 2 i think)?! Good quality for a fan made trailer though...

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 06 May 2009, 21:28

Kalah wrote:LotR fan? Then watch this! :-D

The Hunt For Gollum
Man that is awesome, I wish I could make my own movies :creative:
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 08 May 2009, 08:41

ThunderTitan wrote:What was that about the LotR trilogy being mostly about people walking (Clerks 2 i think)?!
That was indeed a good one... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iU4Tn8iSw

"Even the f-ing trees walked in those movies" :p

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 08 May 2009, 14:06

I thought Star Trek was great. Anybody else seen it?
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 08 May 2009, 14:22

Looking forward to it. If I only see one movie in theater this Summer (looking for babysitters is a hassle), that's going to be the one.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 08 May 2009, 14:33

Kalah wrote:LotR fan? Then watch this! :-D

The Hunt For Gollum
This looks pretty good for a fan film :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 08 May 2009, 18:07

Yeah, I forgot to comment about that one. I was really impressed to see what they managed to accomplish with a budged of less than 5000 bucks.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 May 2009, 19:31

That's what dedication can do. Are you listening, Ubisoft? ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 May 2009, 16:49

:lolu:
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 May 2009, 18:17

Vlaad II wrote:I thought Star Trek was great. Anybody else seen it?
Yep. Everything I hoped for and more. Spock & Uhuru -- who knew?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 May 2009, 09:45

Uhura... Uhura...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 May 2009, 18:10

Shakira, Shakira.. Oh, sorry, I thought we were doing a rap thing. :tongue:

Return to “Campfire”