Might and Magic Tribute Revival?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Apr 2009, 02:01

I must admit that I lost interest in the Might and Magic Tribute fan project five years ago, thinking it had gone the way of those countless unfinished mod projects out there. But the following movie made me fell off my chair:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/04VoJmmb6og&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="/http://www.youtube.com/v/04VoJmmb6og&hl ... b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

A clean interface (check out that paperdoll at 0:45), much improved textures, good character animations and to top it off a beautiful original score. The game is far from finished, but I'm putting it right back on my watchlist. After all, this is perhaps the Might and Magic RPG franchise's last hope to get a commercial revival. The official site is <a href="/http://www.castlegobs.nl/forums/">here</a> if you want to learn more about the project. Thanks to phamlongtuan who shared a screenshot and a link.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1240279308
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby archcorenth » 21 Apr 2009, 04:47

Wow I'm drooling. It looks better than any of the actual might and magic games, graphically at least.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 21 Apr 2009, 05:46

omg, it looks absolutely incredible !

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Apr 2009, 08:43

DAMN!!!

That looks quite nice, especially those menus. Hope they get a proper story in as well.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 21 Apr 2009, 09:23

Very well done work! As I understand, it is the talented composer Oren who actually made the engine himself - I hope this will work as a fresh start for the project.

However, the biggest problem still remains art, models and animating. I'm probably repeating myself but there's no way you will finish the game EVER without using the already existing resources from older games. Wake of Gods has modded H3 to unbelievable extent and they have no problem whatsoever with copyright and like Ubisoft has nothing to do but to hunt down fan projects. You could do the same and this would fantastically speed up the development. So to speak, better ask forgiveness than a permission.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 21 Apr 2009, 13:46

What? MMT is actually a game? And a very good looking game at that?

Oh well, this video proves nothing. For all we know its still in development hell and will never come out. I actually have more faith in the Fan-made MMX than I do in this game ever seeing the light of day.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Apr 2009, 14:15

Gotta love the Youtube custom colors for embedding. The player looks just right for the main page. :)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Might and Magic Tribute Revival?

Unread postby Ethric » 21 Apr 2009, 14:52

arturchix wrote:Very well done work! As I understand, it is the talented composer Oren who actually made the engine himself - I hope this will work as a fresh start for the project.

However, the biggest problem still remains art, models and animating. I'm probably repeating myself but there's no way you will finish the game EVER without using the already existing resources from older games. Wake of Gods has modded H3 to unbelievable extent and they have no problem whatsoever with copyright and like Ubisoft has nothing to do but to hunt down fan projects. You could do the same and this would fantastically speed up the development. So to speak, better ask forgiveness than a permission.
But that video does use graphics from former games. Just for demonstration purposes, perhaps?

Though your point seems sensible.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 21 Apr 2009, 17:31

Holy crap, that was just awesome :hoo: :hail: :hail:
Those menus are just great, and the new(and great) graphics fits in M&M universe :-D
Hope It is finished some day.
Patience is less common than the common sense

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 21 Apr 2009, 18:59

You may be surprised to hear that official MMTribute 0.43 has been released.

It can be downloaded following a link on the MMTribute site, on a page called Picture of the Day, April 2009. I say "surprised" because we all remember the sad news concerning the MMT project from last November. Anyway, it's good to see some fan projects continuing to challenge the odds.
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby astral76minor » 21 Apr 2009, 23:11

Imagine if they could mod the entire (3D0) Might and Magic series to look like this. Hopefully....

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 21 Apr 2009, 23:34

Wow - I am really impressed! Nevertheless, despite how great it looks, I doubt the game will be finished - fan projects tend to burnout and often the last elements... especially polish take the longest, are the most difficult and prove to be the most boring for the creators. Still, kudos to the creators - it is impressive what they have accomplished already.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 22 Apr 2009, 03:14

Very nice music! Fits the mood perfectly. :)
Image Image Image

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 22 Apr 2009, 17:27

Looks very cool! Hope to see more of this in the future. :)

Marcus333
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Marcus333 » 24 Apr 2009, 12:40

That looks just about perfect!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 May 2009, 01:43

They have just announced the release of version .5 on their website, so it seems it is progressing. :applause:
MMT_0.5.rar can be downloaded from SourceForge.

Don't forget to install NET 3.5 first, if you have not done so already.

This version includes four 2D overland maps, with dialogues, items, objects and monsters.

On the overland maps you can click on houses, dungeons, wells, obelisks, chests, monster groups, connections, etc.

The questbook and the log keep track of your progress.

Enjoy!
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

OrenYona
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby OrenYona » 02 May 2009, 10:00

there's a playable version of what you've seen in the video (which is not MMT 0.5):

this is the file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/226082460/M ... _setup.rar

and here are some instructions I posted about this release:

http://www.castlegobs.nl/forums/index.p ... =1690&st=0

(actually this version doesn't include the soft shadows presented in the video, but it does include 2 more (although not yet finished) original music tracks :-) )

some info:

1. The graphics and physics aspects of the engine are in an advanced state.

meanwhile we have another programmer working on a scripting system.

no A.I yet.

I'm currently working on a level editor

(examples can be found here:http://www.castlegobs.nl/forums/index.p ... topic=1698) in order to release a full-scale playable level of the MMT game.

2. MMT has a lot of the dialogs, quests and storyline already made which will be used (as seen in the MMT 0.5 version).

3. The thing we lack the most is artists (2D and 3D). currently the demo I released uses placeholders from M&M 7 and some art made by MMT team. (except for the walking man which is a microsoft's XNA model and won't be used of course, it was just to test dynamic shadows and animation).

4. The little village I created in the demo is for demonstration/testing purposes only and won't be used in any part of the game.

it is possible that even some of the models won't be used in the entire game...

community support has a great impact on making fan-based projects succeed, and hopfully we could raise interest again in MMT.

we are doing it in our free time , for free , and aside to the pleasure of making a game, community feedback is a great contribution for motivation...

Thank you for publishing the news on this site,

- Oren
Edited on Sat, May 02 2009, 06:00 by OrenYona

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 02 May 2009, 10:35

WOW
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Return to “News”