HOMM (and MM) on Vista? and Windows7?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

HOMM (and MM) on Vista? and Windows7?

Unread postby BMJedi » 17 Apr 2009, 05:03

I'm seeing on these boards that it's really hard or even impossible to run the entire MM and HOMM series on Vista.

I wonder if anybody's heard yet or maybe tried on a beta version of Windows7 whether MM and HOMM can be played?

I will keep my current XP computer FOREVER if it turns out Windows7 and future versions will be incompatible/impossible with MM and HOMM!

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 17 Apr 2009, 11:56

I can't address Windows 7 but I have used Vista for the past 2 years and have played M&M 6-9 and Heroes 3,4 & 5. Many were played in compatability mode and I could start the older M&M games with DOS Box but the graphics were really old and I like the eye candy of the newer games.

Good luck with your upgrade. You could always do a full back up and restore if you didn't like the new windows.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Apr 2009, 19:55

People with Vista 64 bit are the ones that have had problems, I have Vista 32 and have no difficulty.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Heroes_Veteran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Heroes_Veteran » 18 Apr 2009, 16:02

Vista sucks for backwards compatibility (64 that is, 32 is somewhat better, but people use 64 because of the RAM capability).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Apr 2009, 17:37

They say Windows 7 will be better in that regard. Not sure I believe what I hear, but that's what they say..
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 18 Apr 2009, 18:18

Yeah, I've got vista 64 bit, and I can't play any of the MM 6-9 or any of HoMM 1-4. It sucks..

Ken50
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ken50 » 04 Sep 2009, 19:20

Hello

Im a big fan of the heroes series and this forum has helped me a lot regarding these games. After buying the Heroes of Might and Magic Complete Edition I had problems running Heroes IV on Vista X64.

I recently installed Windows 7 Proffesional X64 and Heroes IV runs fine.

Finally I can play all heroes games on the same OS

I also was able to play some old X-COM games that would not play on Vista X64

Hope this information will help :)

Sorry for any bad language. English is not my first language.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Sep 2009, 08:26

Ken50 wrote:I recently installed Windows 7 Proffesional X64 and Heroes IV runs fine.
Indeed, it works just fine on Win7. Actually, IMO it works even better than on XP because of sound management (if you cast a mass spell that affects all units on the combat screen, it would be very loud on XP, and on Win7 it just makes all other sounds and music quieter).

Return to “Heroes I-IV”