After-Action Reports

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 07 Apr 2009, 01:48

Sent.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 07 Apr 2009, 04:44

Thanks. I will look carefully at both versions.

By the way, yeah, I too have seen some conversions of H2 maps to H3. I have done one myself: Pandemonium, let me know if you want it. I had sent it to Astral Wizard site back in the day but it got improved since then.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 16 Apr 2009, 02:20

I've just beat Pyramid for the first time. Normal difficulty. Started with Warlock. Main hero: Falagar.

Epic ******* battle.

Started out by quickly taking green's weakly garrisoned castle, leaving his stupid hero to abandon him after the 7th day. Built up a second barbarian army and used this army, with a secondary hero, to soften up Purple's main necro hero, so that on the very same turn Falagar could catch him with his pants down (this means him having 0 spell points left to face my main force).

Yellow player was insane, especially when he got 7-8 blackies with armageddon, and my main hero, a Falagar the Warlock with a lightning rod, was worthless vs his main man Crodo. Our first encounter went like this: I zapped as many of his non-dragon troops as I could then retreated. My own 4 black dragons didn't stand much of a chance.

What I did next was gather as large an Undead army as I could, then avoided Crodo and headed straight north and systematically conquered each warlock castle one by one. When I got to the fourth one my undead army was all but annihilated, but I had four castles producing black dragons now, and thankfully Crodo busied himself with taking my undefended Necro, Barb, and starting Warlock castle. Long story short, it all went downhill for Yellow from there.

Final ranking: Unicorn. Time to win: 97 days. ( I'd like to mention that I never save the game, and never reload at all)

I opened up the map in the editor and found out in awe that two of yellow's castle started with a green tower, and all 4 of them with a hydra swamp!

It would be interesting to change this map with the enemy all using the Good guys' castles.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 16 Apr 2009, 11:16

Congrats on a hard-fought victory, especially without save-loading. :applause: I can't believe you enjoyed this map enough to want to modify it. :-D
Peace. Love. Penguin.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 16 Apr 2009, 13:36

Thanks. I only enjoyed it because I managed to win. I cried "WTF" so many times when the CPU started using Dracogeddon on me.

Heroes_Veteran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Heroes_Veteran » 18 Apr 2009, 16:09

Good stuff. I was hooked on HOMM2\3 during the late 90s\early 2000s so I can relate to that :p

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Apr 2009, 16:22

I've been hooked on Heroes since the first one came out (1995) and never stopped playing H2/H3 ever since. I also played the precursor game, King's Bounty back in 1990.

In any case, welcome to the boards!

Heroes_Veteran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Heroes_Veteran » 18 Apr 2009, 16:32

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:I've been hooked on Heroes since the first one came out (1995) and never stopped playing H2/H3 ever since. I also played the precursor game, King's Bounty back in 1990.

In any case, welcome to the boards!
Thanks. I can see we're not going to agree on your patch though :p

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 May 2009, 19:43

They say picture is worthy of thousand words :P
Image Image
(Or another, more deadly variant. I was actually able to take out 17 Megadragons with Efreeti suite. Hmmm.. :D)

So, let that serves as a reminder, that I'm still playing h3 or h4.
(More h4 now, because I don't need to switching the resolution modes, still waiting on the promised WoG 3.59 wit "colours" patch, ..working patch)

PS Do you know that someone kind repaired imagebot for imageshack, and it can be used again? ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 May 2009, 06:17

Oh man... those pics reminds me how cool the menu and stuff looked in H4, which made the annoying creature looks (bar a few) that much worse...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 12 May 2009, 03:10

Ah yes, I remember being blown away by the terrain and menu graphics and music when I first played the H4 tutorial.

(I still do like the terrain and menu graphics, though I now consider the terrain music boring save for the Water theme. But H4 has by far the best title screen theme.)

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 27 May 2009, 13:01

Can I submit the game I played in this thread? :)

viewtopic.php?p=274795#274795
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 27 May 2009, 14:36

There is already a dedicated heroes 5 forum. Why pester this (H1-4) forum with posts about this crappy game made by even crappier developers?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 May 2009, 17:12

Banedon wrote:Can I submit the game I played in this thread? :)

viewtopic.php?p=274795#274795
I think, we can accept that. Name of the thread is after-action report, although it was opened to celebrate "old'n good games". Thus is sorted in the H1-4 subforum.

So, for me, the link is perfect solution. ;)
(But it reminds me something about asian and europian mentality difference. Where we do not live so much for submitting records, duels, points, racing eee.. different approach to education, different life style. ;) )
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 May 2009, 19:04

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:There is already a dedicated heroes 5 forum. Why pester this (H1-4) forum with posts about this crappy game made by even crappier developers?
Since HoMM V largely mirrors/builds on HoMM III, I find this uninspired comment to be nothing more than a slap in your own face.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 27 May 2009, 22:52

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:There is already a dedicated heroes 5 forum. Why pester this (H1-4) forum with posts about this crappy game made by even crappier developers?
Evidently because H5 games are welcome as well (see first post).
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 28 May 2009, 01:00

Umm, yeah. As the one who started this thread *ahem*, I reiterate that H5 AARs are most welcome here. Anyway, good story so far Banedon. Is it normal for H5 games to gain 14 levels (!) in 8 days?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 28 May 2009, 01:34

No, that was a mistake in my writing 8| I got confused dealing with the end of the first turn of every week ... Ossir reached level 15 at the end of the first turn in the 3rd week, not 2nd (15 turns in). He was level 9 at the end of the first turn in the 2nd week (8 turns in).

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 28 May 2009, 13:51

That's still awfully fast compared to previous Heroes games. You're basically gaining a level every turn.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 04 Jun 2009, 13:44

Well I never noticed, I just went ahead and beat every neutral stack I could. At some point I stopped taking gold and took experience instead, which worked fine since I was never critically short on gold (and I had Windmills and such). Would've been even better if I could steal my ally's gold mine :)

Anyway just finished the game and posted the rest of the AAR. It's the first I've ever written. gg! Now if only I could say I've beaten Galactic Civilizations II on the hardest difficulty too ...

Return to “Heroes I-IV”