Took me only 8 years, but I finally managed to beat H3:SOD!!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Took me only 8 years, but I finally managed to beat H3:SOD!!

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 04 Apr 2009, 21:25

Yup, I remember ordering H3:SoD directly from 3DO, winter of 2001. And started the Gem campaign only in summer 2002.

I remember going to the UPS warehouse directly, using my bike, in the winter, because they wouldn't deliver to my home in the evening. Memories!

I'm not the best player, and had to play many of these scenarios on "Normal" difficulty to be able to beat them ("easy" for some of Crag Hack's).

The final scenario of "Specter of Power" was a joke, with these free (hidden) +10 to all stats, probably originally intended to be given to computer players.

Now I can say I have finished all official campaigns for all the Heroes game I own (H1-H2-H3). :)

Toge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Toge » 04 Apr 2009, 23:31

Congratulations!

I've never finished anything except maybe the first half of scenarios. I *hate* timed campaigns in RoE. Shadow of Death campaigns are more fun, as you can choose difficulty level. I play my games on normal and usually win them quite easily.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 05 Apr 2009, 02:29

Timed scenarios never caused me much pain... except maybe Evil1: Steadwick's Fall.

For me, what caused me the most pain were: In Gem's Campaign, enemy Castles with repeated Timed Events that gave free troops (this essentially doubled production but ONLY when controlled by CPU), and in Cag Hack's campaign, un-conquerable enemy castles, scarce taverns and sometimes having to build your army solely from adventure map locations (athough I admit it was hella fun to be forced to use Trolls on one scenario)

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 10 Apr 2009, 09:20

Well done UHO! Although I wish that you had had time to finish the campaigns years ago :D The SoD campaigns are the "cream" of H3. It is my most humble opinion that the AB campaigns were sub-par for the most part, and the ones found in RoE are good but not excellent, but this may have more to do with the fact that the SoD map editor offers far more to map making than its predecessors.

(on a side note, if I am allowed to brag a little, I have finished all SoD campaigns, each scenario, with Impossible difficulty, and done this several times. Geez. I seem to have no life...)

Although I said AB campaigns are generally speaking only of mediocre quality, the one exception is Sir Christian's (bonus) campaign called Foolhardy Waywardness. It's one of the most entertaining campaigns I've ever played. And that's saying a lot. ;)

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 10 Apr 2009, 18:17

Hey, congrats! Yeah, the SoD campaigns were definitely the best of the H3 campaigns.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 10 Apr 2009, 20:14

Yurian Stonebow wrote: Although I said AB campaigns are generally speaking only of mediocre quality, the one exception is Sir Christian's (bonus) campaign called Foolhardy Waywardness. It's one of the most entertaining campaigns I've ever played. And that's saying a lot. ;)
Agreed.

Yeah, SoD campaigns were hard and entertaining, but I have one major complaint: no playtime at all for Dungeon/Inferno/Fortress!
It's mostly just Necro/Stronghold/Rampart, some Castle, a FEW Tower (in Yog's campaign)

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 17 Apr 2009, 21:37

Congrats! I just passed the 7 RoE campaings last year, in january-february, and I plan to pass AB ones this summer :-D

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Apr 2009, 03:06

My small advice for the Dragon Slayer campaign: do NOT pass up the Mysticism skill.

That's all I'm going to say. ;)
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 18 Apr 2009, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 18 Apr 2009, 10:07

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:My small advice for the Dragon Slayer campaign: do NOT pass up the Meditation skill.

You are refering to mysticim, right?
I won't forget that.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Apr 2009, 14:32

Storm-giant wrote:
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:My small advice for the Dragon Slayer campaign: do NOT pass up the Meditation skill.

You are refering to mysticim, right?
I won't forget that.
Uh yeah, sorry about that. :ill:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Apr 2009, 22:08

I don't think i even finished AB except the part that continued the story from RoE... and now i don't know if i'll ever have the time...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 May 2009, 07:47

Glad to hear you completed it. I've yet to play it at all. Too busy playing custom maps. They seem to occupy my time with H3. Good for you!

navalsingh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby navalsingh » 13 May 2009, 20:51

Cool, I liked SoD a lot, in fact i have finsihed all the HoMM games from all 1 to 5 including teh stuff like "heroes chronicles" and I thought everyone was worth finishing :proud:

lotusreaver
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lotusreaver » 01 Aug 2009, 07:07

Did you finish the game on Easy difficulty, or on the recommended default difficulty? Heh heh.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”