DotA

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 03 Oct 2007, 20:02

a55a55in wrote:Anyone download the latest map which has a new hero, Puck?
I have downloaded and played it. Puck's nukes and mobility make him equal to Akasha in many ways. He's very annoying in the right hands.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 22 Feb 2009, 00:27

I really miss this topic. Wonder if anyone here still plays this game.. ;|
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Feb 2009, 21:51

I play it a lot less now for two reasons: because I spend a lot of time playing other games and because of the hassle it takes to play DotA (I can't run servers where I am).

You?
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 26 Feb 2009, 02:08

I'm playing more, since now I limit the number of games on my laptop. Now DotA is the only game I can play.

BTW, Kunkka and Mirana are still imba, if given to the right hands.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2009, 08:58

So... any guides to playing Lina Inverse or the Ice Maiden chick(Rylai?)?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 13 Mar 2009, 10:04

ThunderTitan wrote:So... any guides to playing Lina Inverse or the Ice Maiden chick(Rylai?)?!
As you no doubt know, there's a huge dota-allstars community at http://www.dota-allstars.com. Check the strategy section of the forums there to find guides for the heroes you'd like to figure out. You can click on this link for a list of hero guides. http://forums.dota-allstars.com/index.p ... opic=33844

But I don't trust those guides, since the best way to figure out a hero is to practice. Also these newbs with too much time on their hands suggest such moronic item builds that it's scary. For example a retarded recent guide to Lina http://forums.dota-allstars.com/index.p ... pic=253057 this is a perfect example of how not to build Lina. This one for example is a bit better guide http://forums.dota-allstars.com/index.p ... pic=116160 on how to play and lane, but it's a bit outdated. The itembuild here is not up to par with the latest versions and gamestyle that's played now.

I suggest that you watch a few high level tournament games where Lina is picked in order to see what the hero's role is, what items to use in what situations and so on. http://prodota.ru/index.php/board,4.0.html Is a good source for this, I know it's in russian, but considering the amount of time you spend on forums it shouldn't be too big of a problem to view a topic scroll to the end of the first post and download the attachment. I highly recommend league replays and IDEC replay sections. Just click on those topics and when you see a lina in game (they have those fancy parsers that display players and hero icons), download that game and see how it's played.

Same goes for crystal maiden. Hope this has been helpfull.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Mar 2009, 19:44

Banedon wrote:Thoughts on all the new heroes...

Storm Spirit: This hero is useless for public games. He has no disable, his damage is unimpressive, etc etc. Still possibly useful for league games, he is totally outdone by Razor / Nevermore / assorted ranged DPS heroes in public games.

Dark Seer: This hero is mediocre. Vacuum is OK though the range is a bit too short to be of much use; Surge is OK too although it doesn't help much with escaping or ganks. Ion Shell is a fine harassing tool but only again melee heroes (also good for farming). Wall of Replica is a good skill if your entire team cooperates and walk through the wall, but it doesn't change the fact that he can hardly kill anyone, nor does he have impressive support skills (no disables especially).

Undying: A poor hero, the Zombies are fodder to anyone with AoE. Soul Rip is rather a sad nuke, too reliant on other factors. Heartstopper Aura is still an OK skill. Plague has too short a cast range to be very useful; it requires him going into the midst of action. As an Intelligence hero he gets toasted quite quickly.

Sacred Warrior: Though he is apparently very powerful from the consensus among other public game players, I've not found him dangerous. By requiring him to keep to low HP he's beaten if his opponents fight back. His low range detracts from him too - I've not seen him farm enough to overwhelm all the others in a game.

As for Spectre, the Mercurial I know is a farmer who rushes Radiance, but will use Haunt to any big battle. 1v1 she's pretty bad, but 5v5 when she has her Radiance she's quite freaking.
Well, now that must have changed a bit, eh? ;)

I like Harbinger, mostly because Brazilian players love playing with tankers. So I take a hero who can take tankers down. Of course that banish is helpful to avoid those players in earlier game while holding the lane.

The new SS is rather nice, but I didn't start playing with him this time as I did when I first played Dota.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Mar 2009, 20:20

@frozd

Damn... too much effort... i'll just wing it.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 28 Sep 2009, 11:01

I started playing DotA again.

Anyone still play DotA that reads this forum? If so, want to play together sometime?
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Sep 2009, 06:35

I play sometimes, but on garena... and i suck mostly.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 29 Sep 2009, 19:05

Occasionally, funwars at BNet and Garena, and in LAN.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 02 Oct 2009, 05:48

Whenever I decide to take a look at Battle.Net I inevitably get into a game of DotA and then get yelled at by everyone for being a "n00b". And thus why I don't take very many looks at Battle.Net, as there really isn't much going on besides DotA.

Oh, and whenever I think of DotA I think of that terrible Basshunter song.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 03 Oct 2009, 12:35

Great, because I play on Garena as well. Being bad is fine, we were all bad once (and I just played this game which showed me in stark fashion how bad I can be with some heroes).

What's your Garena IGN? We could hook up for some games.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Oct 2009, 08:37

mps.4li3n

I'm usually on after 8 pm GMT+2... but lately i've been trying to finish some olther games i have installed, so i haven't been on much.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 26 Jan 2010, 17:58

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 8:37

I know it has been awhile ago, but DotA absolutly rules!

It sucks that i didn't bought Warcraft 3 at his release. I just got it 2 months ago, which is late! But i played it 2 months and i seem to be pretty good at it.

Had Beyond godlike a few times.

I like alot of heroes, so cant decide which i am the best at. I normally just go -random.
Last edited by Sure Valla on 17 Apr 2013, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 27 Jan 2010, 02:31

A friend and I have arranged - preliminarily - to play some games on Garena, in about 11 hours and 30 minutes from the time I make this post. If you want to come, by all means! Word of warning though, my friend once represented Denmark in DotA competitions (which means his standard of play is very high indeed), and I've not played DotA for two entire versions (largely moved to Heroes of Newerth).

Leave your Garena name if you're interested, I'll look for you later.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Jan 2010, 10:11

Wait, what is that warning supposed to mean?! he'll be pissed we're noobz while you will play badly?!

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 27 Jan 2010, 12:10

ThunderTitan wrote:Wait, what is that warning supposed to mean?! he'll be pissed we're noobz while you will play badly?!
Well stomping pubs is no fun, and getting stomped is even less fun - if you play, you might end up on opposing teams as him (depends on players), and then there's a good chance you get stomped, so if you're afraid of that you might not want to play.

And yes, I'll play badly. I just had three games as warmup (haven't played in months), and although all of them were won in 20 minutes I made so many mistakes and screwed up on so many little things, I'll be hoping for him to carry me :)

EDIT: Game over! We had such a large early-game advantage that 3 of them left, after which their Shadow Fiend got stacked with 20k worth of items and won the game for them. Lol! Too gentlemanly of us to not finish the game after 20 minutes, instead letting them win after 50. Compared to the games I had earlier today, this game is much better, but it's still quite a bad one.

Given our lag issues next up we'll probably play HoN.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 27 Jan 2010, 17:04

Banedon wrote:Leave your Garena name if you're interested, I'll look for you later.
No problem

After i fixed my computer.

I check mail/CH's with windows safe mode :D

So i go format it in the upcomming weekend.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Jan 2010, 20:09

Banedon wrote: EDIT: Game over! We had such a large early-game advantage that 3 of them left, after which their Shadow Fiend got stacked with 20k worth of items and won the game for them. Lol!
That's always one of the annoying things... this guy i play with sometimes likes to do a 1 against 2 of us and he is better then us, but he won't admit that having more money is also a factor of why we almost never manage to win against him unless we manage to kill him a few times in the beginning.

OH, and my tag is a few post back on this page.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”