Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 05 Mar 2009, 00:40

An original M&M RPG!?
Well that should be interesting...
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

theroyalbard
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Location: Asia, just explore it and make sure you put Lloyd's beacon if you found it!

Unread postby theroyalbard » 05 Mar 2009, 02:57

Justice wrote:Trying to download it :)

Would be quite nice if you felt a wild urge to post the M&M arrangements online :D I never took any composing classes or theory since music only is my hobby, but I'm able to play pretty much everything (that excludes insane contemporary classical music with continuous 3 octave jumps up and down and the speed of a minor rocket) as long as I have the notes, and playing M&M music on my tuba would leave my friends flabbergasted :devious:
That would be ok. In that way many people will appreciate the music more than just a background while playing. Who knows, people might me interested in arranging too and in no time, composers of M&M will multiply :)
skinothetis1 wrote:theroyalbard nice try. If you can get a little easy on the violins?I mean i don't want a violin in my head when playing the game, will drive me nuts smile_teeth
Actually my metal was mostly Judas Priest,Manowar,Running Wild,Saxon.That kind of stuff.Of course best band in the world = AC/DC but they are more on the rock side.
On the "godly creatures". Well Jesus was also born, so if he is a godly creature then ok Greek GODS are godly creatures.
May i also inform you that i'm from Greece big smile
So the point is that they are MY ANCESTORS GODS and i can call them however i like mad rofl
Thank you. It's actually just a school homework that we need to arrange for strings only and has no part for the working soundtrack yet. :D

You mentioned the famous ones that always appear in metal magazine covers :D I guess you're really into the traditional metal. Horns up skinothetis1! AC/DC rocks except angus young's sweaty chest hair. lol

As what I told you if you're into polytheism (or none at all) I respect that. That's good to hear you're from Greece. When I was young I kept on playing Hercules and Herc's adventures on playstation (if you know those games) and I was really into it that I wanted to go to Greece.
B-)

You gave me an idea that Jesus..or Buddha or whoever supreme can also be part of Might and Magic. Well they can be more of an NPC; Jesus will create food for 5000, infinite water walk, and double damage VS demons. Buddha can give elemental protection, fly infinitely, immune to weakness etc.

lol I'm just tripping.

Deadguy118 wrote:The thing with the music of Might and Magic is that it is focused on strings and... harpsichords? Nonetheless, I wish you luck in your composing duties for this game.
You're right. But there are also some places that choirs and percussion are dominantly used like when going to the arena. The music generally evolves depending on the era it's into, and that's what I like about Rob King, Jennifer Wang etc. Their deep sensitivity, not just creating mediocre fantasy music. :) Thanks for the luck!

For the update I have now made a few original themes I did on the piano, though I still don't know how it sounds like in other instruments.

I will be posting a bit slow this month. I need to go to work on other stuff.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 05 Mar 2009, 09:33

theroyalbard wrote:You gave me an idea that Jesus..or Buddha or whoever supreme can also be part of Might and Magic. Well they can be more of an NPC; Jesus will create food for 5000, infinite water walk, and double damage VS demons. Buddha can give elemental protection, fly infinitely, immune to weakness etc.

lol I'm just tripping.
Good, cuz that is the worst idea ever :P

I think it was kinda obvious that the players were playing it for the first time and having trouble reading which notes to play, but you could definately hear the original music in it. Especially in the beginning, there's a part where they're playing it flawless and it sounds really good. Actually I think using g minor in the first part was a good descision because it fits better with the instruments they're using.
This is the kinda thing I'm sorta expecting; like a soundtrack where part of it is original tracks, part is adapted with different instruments and original parts added to the tracks, and part new music. So if something like this could get recorded for real it would be really nice :D

Now if you could do this with the Whitecap music (Sunlit Snow Journey) I would be really impressed.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 05 Mar 2009, 11:29

Regarding the charging thing, you do realize that whether it's free or not has very little to do with its legal status, right? I mean, for an original work (as opposed to an outright copy of someone else's stuff) the IP holders are a lot less likely to mind, but so far as copyright is concerned cost or lack thereof is completely irrelevant.

(Perhaps you already realize that, but there is a widespread misconception to the contrary out there...)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 05 Mar 2009, 12:27

You might as well consider this game a mod / total conversion for all intents and purposes. I hope there's no misconception: it acts as a sequel in theory, but you need Might and Magic VII to play it, since it uses and overwrites that game engine (much like Heroes III: WoG). No free downloads. In which case it's no more illegal than BDJ's RevMod and all the other such content out there - some of which is openly supported and advertised on Celestial Heavens, and Ubisoft definitely view that site.

Of course, making almost any mod is in some breach of Ubisoft's copyrights, but they don't actually appear to have any actual quarrel with such work. At least that's what I gather from the seven (or so) months of in-community publicity that BDJ's mod has received, plus eight years of WoG, six years of Equilibris, etc etc...

But if we were releasing a free clone full of ripped artwork and concepts that doesn't require a previous MM game (not a mod) - like that Heroes of War and Money thing - then there would be trouble. We're already seriously considering changing the "Might and Magic X" title to something different, by the way.

coltrek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby coltrek » 05 Mar 2009, 14:17

It would be nice if somebody made a Construction Set program like Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 (The G.E.C.K) has.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 05 Mar 2009, 15:13

jeffh wrote:Regarding the charging thing, you do realize that whether it's free or not has very little to do with its legal status, right? I mean, for an original work (as opposed to an outright copy of someone else's stuff) the IP holders are a lot less likely to mind, but so far as copyright is concerned cost or lack thereof is completely irrelevant.

(Perhaps you already realize that, but there is a widespread misconception to the contrary out there...)
We can not begin to amass the vast amount of total conversions, remakes, mods, spin-offs, and add-ons done by others to a wide array of games out there. If we are to say every one of these individuals, and us, are infringing on someone’s copyright, then none of us would be modding/making anything. The point in fact is that most software developers do not care that people use their material to make new material, especially for a game engine that came out in 1998, more than a decade old. Your conception is right nonetheless, every one of us who has ever altered a game before is in violation of copyright law. I guess there are a lot of people that need to be taken to court, huh?

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 05 Mar 2009, 23:01

theroyalbard wrote:

You mentioned the famous ones that always appear in metal magazine covers :D I guess you're really into the traditional metal. Horns up skinothetis1! AC/DC rocks except angus young's sweaty chest hair. lol

As what I told you if you're into polytheism (or none at all) I respect that. That's good to hear you're from Greece. When I was young I kept on playing Hercules and Herc's adventures on playstation (if you know those games) and I was really into it that I wanted to go to Greece.
B-)

You gave me an idea that Jesus..or Buddha or whoever supreme can also be part of Might and Magic. Well they can be more of an NPC; Jesus will create food for 5000, infinite water walk, and double damage VS demons. Buddha can give elemental protection, fly infinitely, immune to weakness etc.

lol I'm just tripping.

Yes, old school metal ;)
No,Greeks are Orthodox.Maybe some weirdos make some 12 Olympus Gods ceremonies but that's about it.
Btw, Hercules on TV have thousands of facts wrong. Their really did a bad research, prior on releasing the series. Anyway.
And also Alexander the Great was NOT gay.
Lastly something you can learn and be the smart on your class. Furom (Skopje, "Makedonia" (my ass) ).Claim that they are descendants or Alexander the great and Macedonian. Apart from the fact that Macedonia is a Greek word (means long land), Alexander the great is friking Greek! It's broken to Alex and Ander. Alex in ancient greek means Shield and Ander, The actual name is Alexandros, so "andros" means men. So it's he who has it's men under it's shield! So how the fu%k Scopjians are Alexander decedents when the man is actually Greek? Well i've educated you enough. Since this is M&M forum and it's and ancient game i think i wasn't long off topic.
:tired:

The only use for name Jesus can be a NPC that you can take and be a healer :D
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stryfer » 06 Mar 2009, 00:10

Well since alexander is an extremely common name all around the world, he didnt really need to be a greek. He could've been a Macedonian, or moved to macedonia...well either way i have no idea about that stuff, but i also remember some history classes where Alexander the great related to macedonia...it could be wrong, every nation has its own history and its own version of other histories.

On topic -> Jesus and Budha and anything related have not been in any MM games...however, as a post end-game easter egg, such NPCs might be fun :)
The healer idea isnt bad, but i got a good one too :) Side Quest - Cheesus Christ (anyone remember the cheese quest from MM8?) or maybe Cheese us Christ, or a more song related title - Jumping Jesus Flash/Christ...ok thats going too far, it's just that I'd love a Jesus reference in the game :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Mar 2009, 00:27

Easter works are in the works. Some are names. Some twisted stuff from reall life...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 06 Mar 2009, 01:26

so, when will we get some pics or demo?
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

theroyalbard
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Location: Asia, just explore it and make sure you put Lloyd's beacon if you found it!

Unread postby theroyalbard » 06 Mar 2009, 02:04

skinothetis1 wrote: And also Alexander the Great was NOT gay.

:D
I didn't know anything about the homo thing 8|
Well those are some insights. Some also say that He's the son of Zeus.
Stryfer wrote: The healer idea isnt bad, but i got a good one too smile Side Quest - Cheesus Christ (anyone remember the cheese quest from MM8?) or maybe Cheese us Christ, or a more song related title - Jumping Jesus Flash/Christ...ok thats going too far, it's just that I'd love a Jesus reference in the game smile_teeth
Yeah why not include Jesus? After all (good) temples, paladins, knights believe in him.
:D

BTW the arrangement I made is youtubed so you won't waste your time to download. (Apparently there's a 'related trailer' in the filefront link that you can just watch the file, tsk.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1TGm-nRgR8

nothing serious, but pretty much a starter.

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 06 Mar 2009, 03:20

[quote="theroyalbard"Yeah why not include Jesus? After all (good) temples, paladins, knights believe in him.
.[/quote]

That's not necessarily true- I don't believe it's specified who or what is worshipped, but it's probably not a real world religion.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 06 Mar 2009, 08:12

Vector wrote:
jeffh wrote:Regarding the charging thing, you do realize that whether it's free or not has very little to do with its legal status, right? I mean, for an original work (as opposed to an outright copy of someone else's stuff) the IP holders are a lot less likely to mind, but so far as copyright is concerned cost or lack thereof is completely irrelevant.

We can not begin to amass the vast amount of total conversions, remakes, mods, spin-offs, and add-ons done by others to a wide array of games out there. If we are to say every one of these individuals, and us, are infringing on someone’s copyright, then none of us would be modding/making anything. The point in fact is that most software developers do not care that people use their material to make new material, especially for a game engine that came out in 1998, more than a decade old. Your conception is right nonetheless, every one of us who has ever altered a game before is in violation of copyright law. I guess there are a lot of people that need to be taken to court, huh?
With all due respect, you completely and utterly missed my point.

All I was saying was that, so far as the letter of IP law (or at least copyright law) is concerned, whether you charge money for something has no bearing on whether you're in violation of that law. I raised the subject because it appeared that there were several posters, including at least one of those involved in the MMX project, who were labouring under a common misconception to the contrary.

Whether that means the project is actually setting itself up for legal difficulties is a separate question. If you actually read my post carefully, I already acknowledge this, so it's a bit mysterious why you bring it up (and emphasize it so) as though I were unaware of it. To the extent that I said anything that those comments had any bearing on at all, I was agreeing with you.

I would, however, urge a somewhat cautious approach. When a game publisher goes out of their way to make one of their games easily moddable, provide hosting space for mods, and so on, of course people are going to mod it and not get into any legal difficulties. (In some cases there's an explicit license to that effect; even if there isn't, the publisher would be laughed out of court for going after people for doing something they were obviously actively encouraging.) However, so far as I know, that doesn't apply here. Even if JVC is a super-nice guy about this, who knows whether Ubi is. It's a very different situation from something like Neverwinter Nights.

Note that this has nothing at all to do with my personal opinion on the subject. My view is that as long as there's no realistic possibility of financial harm to the rights-holder (note, this is a very different question from whether you charge any money!) and you don't take credit for anything someone else did (conditions I believe are satisfied in this case), you should be able to do whatever the hell you want. And I think it's great that so many other people in the computer gaming industry hold that same general view. But it's not necessarily the case that everyone does, and if they're inclined to be jerks about it, the law is on their side. That's all I'm saying.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 06 Mar 2009, 09:10

However, so far as I know, that doesn't apply here. Even if JVC is a super-nice guy about this, who knows whether Ubi is.
Well, again, Heroes V mods. And BDJ's mods. And MM Tribute. And WoG. And Equilibris... you get the message.

All are fan-made. All edit game files to a fairly massive degree. All require a base game to be installed (except Tribute). All are totally free and their creators get nothing for their work. All breach Ubi's copyrights (WoG actually takes elements from other games). None are being chased by Ubi's legal department. :)
Last edited by Corlagon on 06 Mar 2009, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

theroyalbard
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby theroyalbard » 06 Mar 2009, 09:13

jeff4815 wrote: That's not necessarily true- I don't believe it's specified who or what is worshipped, but it's probably not a real world religion.
I guess I'm watching too much epic movies then. :D

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 06 Mar 2009, 12:22

Talin_Trollbane wrote:so, when will we get some pics or demo?
As we said, there will be no demo, instead, me and darknessfood will make gameplay videos showing all the new features (and more ;) )

As por the pics, stay tuned, you're getting many things soon :)
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 06 Mar 2009, 15:29

Talin_Trollbane wrote:so, when will we get some pics or demo?
There will be no demo to this game, but new pics are on the way... not to tease anybody... but they are on my USB jump drive right here. The team is organizing some data right now, and putting the final touches to the website, so an update will be posted on CH in roughly a week, perhaps less depending on how long the website takes to finish. This will be our last major update on these forums before moving to our own (Of course we will still post news on this forum).
jeffh wrote: All I was saying was that, so far as the letter of IP law (or at least copyright law) is concerned, whether you charge money for something has no bearing on whether you're in violation of that law. I raised the subject because it appeared that there were several posters, including at least one of those involved in the MMX project, who were labouring under a common misconception to the contrary.
The point I was making in my previous statement is that whether anybody's 'whatever' is free, or costs money, would be irrelevant if they were worrying about getting into legal problems. Most of us understand that whether we charge money for something, or not, has no bearing on whether a copyright has been infringed upon. However, I believe Ubisoft would have something to say if our team was charging money for this rather than giving it away for free. And yes, you are correct about the cautious approach, for all we know, there could be some jerk that wants to initiate something; always better to be prepared. Thanks for your input.

@ everyone else, I am seeing a lot of talk about Jesus, Buddha, Zeus, Alexander the Great, Metal... let's keep it relevant... but right after I add my little bit of irrelevance: my wife is a Classics Major studying in Ancient Greek and Latin and we named our son Alexander after Alexander the Great. Ironic.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 06 Mar 2009, 18:45

After reading all this theme I'm not yet understand, what means "MMX uses MM6-8 engine". It will need .exe file from one of that games? Or it will have own .exe with parts of engine-related code, somehow ripped from original .exe files?
Last edited by mmtool on 06 Mar 2009, 19:16, edited 2 times in total.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 06 Mar 2009, 19:08

I'm interested if the maps will be original and new :devil: or the monsters :devious:
everything that I saw before was recolored existing places :(
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Return to “Might and Magic”