MM6,7,8 executable files (versions and sizes)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

MM6,7,8 executable files (versions and sizes)

Unread postby mmtool » 05 Mar 2009, 04:50

Hello All. In order to make my (ongoing) patches as universal as possible I'm need some information about various versions of .exe files of MM6,7,8 games. May be somebody can check and post here version (from it "Properties") and size of his/her executables (mm6.exe, mm7.exe and/or mm8.exe) to figure out, what .exe modifications used mostly often by community? Thanks.

seancdaug
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: MM6,7,8 executable files (versions and sizes)

Unread postby seancdaug » 05 Mar 2009, 06:46

My fresh, out-of-the-box install of Might and Magic VII from the old 3DO Might and Magic Millennium Edition boxed set appears to clock in at 1,069,056 bytes, with a modification time stamp of Wednesday, August 25, 1999, 3:52:14 PM.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 05 Mar 2009, 08:35

Thanks. In case of version I mean "Version" value in "Properties" dialog window of .exe file (can be shown via popup menu). But 1,069,056 of size has original 1.0.0.1 version, so no need it in this case :) It is already one of the primary target of my patches and supported already in preliminary test version of first patch (MM7 D3D engine improvements to allow gaming at 1024x768 resolution and better natively). I'll release it at the end of this week for demonstration and testing. It is not ready for real gaming yet, because need one-two weeks to completly fix all in-game interface issues. But I think hi-res 3D-picture can be interesting to take a look (and walk) even at current state.

zipi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby zipi » 05 Mar 2009, 11:12

MM7 - 1.2.1.0 - 1.073.152 bytes

btw
-as i suspect you have some information no one else has? like sources or documents regarding the mm engine?
-why don't you user Greyface's patch and write resolution and other mods into a dll?

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 05 Mar 2009, 13:59

No, I have not any sources or other info. I'm using .exe to figure out, how things work, as any other author of patches. And this is pretty easy in case of MM6-8 because of relative engine simplicity (good old times). About .dll and patches of others... I hope to do pretty big modernization of MM6-8 engine with time. Even may try to "force" shaders support in D3D on them. So I don't want to depend on anything other than native game files. Any additional (external) code can be injected directly to .exe as new segment, so no need to use .dll even for it. But if somebody want, this is pretty easy to figure out, what my patches change in .exe file (currently it can be done even by ordinary comparison of files), and try to implement patching via .dll-s.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 06 Mar 2009, 08:46

Btw, is GrayFace patch for MM7 and MM8 even exists? Searched web and found patch for MM6 only. And Mok's patches support only English versions seems, no other official localizations.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Mar 2009, 05:51

I'll release a patch for MM7. It will be based on Mok's version. Later I'll do it for MM8 too. I'm also planning an extension of event language for MM6-8.
mmtool wrote:So I don't want to depend on anything other than native game files. Any additional (external) code can be injected directly to .exe as new segment, so no need to use .dll even for it. But if somebody want, this is pretty easy to figure out, what my patches change in .exe file (currently it can be done even by ordinary comparison of files), and try to implement patching via .dll-s.
This way brings certain problems. Original IAT would have to be extended or yours would have to be initialized manually, same with resources. I see no reason for using approach other than .dll in big patches.
All addresses my patch hooks are listed at the end of Hooks.pas file in sources.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 07 Mar 2009, 09:48

I wrote own .exe protector/cryptor several years ago, so .exe-approach is not a big problem :) But may be I'm change my mind on this in future. Currently (for resolution task) i'm not need additional storage for external code, because all code changes reside in places of original code.

seancdaug
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby seancdaug » 15 Mar 2009, 01:41

If you're still looking for file sizes/versions, I've got one for MM8 now. It's 12,288 bytes, and there's no version specified in the executable. It's an out-of-the-box, original retail version of MM8 with the XP compatibility patch applied. The associated MM8-Rel.exe is 1,155,072 bytes, and is file version 1.1.0.0.

Also, my copy of MM6.exe is 851,968 bytes, file version 1.0.0.1. If it matters, its from the same Millennium Edition that I got my copy of MM7 from, but I can't remember exactly what addons or patches I've applied to it.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 18 Mar 2009, 18:50

Thanks. MM8 files seems from MOK patch (always contain custom MM?.exe as launcher to change window size in Window mode and patched original .exe, renamed to MM?-Rel.exe).

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 18 Mar 2009, 23:08

I have version 1.0.0.1 and it's 1,163,264 bytes. I haven't decided which version I'll use for my patch - this or from Mok's patch.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”