Heroes3 VS Heroes4: Tier 1 of the Knight factions

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which tier 1 unit from Knight factions do you like most?

Pikeman/Halberdier (H3)
55%
Crossbowman (H4)
30%
Esquire (H4)
15%

Total votes: 20

Lord of the Guns
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes3 VS Heroes4: Tier 1 of the Knight factions

Unread postby Lord of the Guns » 25 Feb 2009, 17:02

Which ones do you like most?
1. Pikeman / Halberdier (Heroes3), least armored of the faction (except monks), wears helmet and shoulder pads as their only protective gear, armed with polearms. easy to train en-mass, not a part of any knighthood but Knights cannot be without them.
ImageImage
2. Crossbowman (Heroes4), wears full-chainmail and spiked pot helmet. armed with crossbow (which hopefully able to penetrate chainmail underwear :) ),
3. Esquire (Heroes4), teenager who is at the first step to Knighthood (You have to be an esquire and works as a serviceman to any local Knight, or Noblehouse you're loyal to...... through the whole career, an esquire will gradually trained with various weapon skill, along with courtier lifestyle (yes... what we considered as being a "gentleman" .... oh didn't i tell you the clue that why Esquire become a name of men's magazine?) but at first, an esquire will be assigned with flail/mace (to learn how blunt weapons work against superior armored foe!), at war, an esquire will gain access to chainmail (a moderate type of armor in Might and Magic universe) and wears a clan tabard. but no helmet for him (since he's at the first step to knighthood, give them too many gears means too many burdens for a n00b like that to maintain).

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 27 Feb 2009, 00:35

The H4 Haven creatures all look gay. I wonder if it's the color. The fake plastic 3D looks horrible too. Back in the day when 3D was new I prefered good old sprites. Took a long while imho for 3D to catch up to 2D when it comes to drawing styles. This is why I hate pretty much all H4 creatures when it comes to looks - but the Haven creatures seem especially uninspired,

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 27 Feb 2009, 01:15

OMG! Those huge fugly renders are back... :( Those are just static renders that lack some lighting & shading effects. Oh, and they're too large to fit on the battlefield. That's because they were never meant to be used or viewed in-game like that.

The creatures in H4 look MUCH BETTER in-game, full stop.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Lord of the Guns
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Lord of the Guns » 27 Feb 2009, 07:49

Macros the Black wrote:The H4 Haven creatures all look gay. I wonder if it's the color. The fake plastic 3D looks horrible too. Back in the day when 3D was new I prefered good old sprites. Took a long while imho for 3D to catch up to 2D when it comes to drawing styles. This is why I hate pretty much all H4 creatures when it comes to looks - but the Haven creatures seem especially uninspired,
NWC tried to implement "Faction as being a magic school along with a full armed forces". they also assign colours to each faction.
For Knight factions, they get the concept of "Life" instead of "Clerical + Light" path. but why did NWC assign purple culour to the concept of "life"?

Plus Palaedrans are all composing of Erathian survivors and bearing Griffon symbol, Lysander himself is really a forgotten Gryphonheart prince. whom who.. one day recovered The Sword of the dynasty. and he found himself locked into a brutal civil war. he must do series of quest to either prove that he, or his foe, should be the next King Gryphonheart??
If NWC wants to make a Knight Factions in Heroes 4 as "Newrathia", why give them Purple as herald colour?
yes they look better in either Blue or Red

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 27 Feb 2009, 08:45

If NWC wants to make a Knight Factions in Heroes 4 as "Newrathia", why give them Purple as herald colour?
This may be a long shot, but I'd guess they were trying to combine Enroth's red faction colours with Erathia's blue ones. Look at the Palaedran flag symbol on the Squire, it's a mix of a Griffin (Erathia) and a Lion (Enroth).

Then again, this could all be a big fat coincidence and they used purple for a totally obscure reason. :)

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Feb 2009, 10:08

Yes, these are the creatures that actually appear in the HoMM IV game:

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 27 Feb 2009, 14:12

H3, they just look better, armor and weapon like :)...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 27 Feb 2009, 14:40

How anyone can vote for any of those Heroes 4 abominations is beyond me.

Heroes 3, not even close.

Lord of the Guns
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Lord of the Guns » 27 Feb 2009, 20:35

I still not even know who did those vote

As i'm the poll owner. i decided not to vote
If the designers said that Palaedrans are both Enrothian and Erathians packed in one faction.. would it be better if assign their heralds with two colours instead? .. Blue and Red altogether in one herald shield.
these kind of heralds exists.. you are most likely to see Red and Blue in any given national flags. look at Star and Stripes, Union Jack, Federation of Russia, and even french Tricolours!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 27 Feb 2009, 21:37

Actually I'm not sure at all whether there are Enrothians in Palaedra since Enroth is only mentioned once or twice in Heroes IV, though it'd be a shame to have to assume they all got killed in the Reckoning.

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 28 Feb 2009, 11:19

Heroes III for sure, look more like a castle unit, imo

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 28 Feb 2009, 12:09

The h4 ones are much more interesting and they look better too. As for usefulness, it's about equal. I always found pikemen/halberdiers look dull.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Feb 2009, 15:43

csarmi wrote:The h4 ones are much more interesting and they look better too. As for usefulness, it's about equal. I always found pikemen/halberdiers look dull.
I agree fully and completely.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 03 Mar 2009, 09:11

Voted Pikeman/Halberdier. I personally dislike Heroes IV due to the game's numerous shortcomings and uninspired design of the towns and their in-game graphics (amongst other flaws and nuisances) You can say that it's nostalgy talking here but I still think that the quality and the much more polished nature of Heroes III is unmatched. I plan to dedicate my upcoming American Civil War Parts I and II for the celebration of Heroes III's 10th Anniversary this March. Perhaps we could organize a special map making contest to celebrate the ten years of H3? Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 25 Mar 2009, 16:27

I really like the artwork of HOMM4 and nothing against the HOMM3 camp but I always found that I enjoyed the HOMM2 games much more. HOMM3 took on less of a "Heroes" feel to me.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 25 Mar 2009, 17:00

Hi gravyluvr … it's good to see you again. :) I love Heroes 4 too, not to say that I don't love Heroes 3 and Heroes 2 too.

As far as this poll goes, of course as everyone knows, I love ranged creatures so Crossbowmen are no exception. But I'm gonna give my vote to these lowly Squires. They look cool & their Stun Ability is great in a fight. So they get my vote.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Toge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Toge » 10 Apr 2009, 15:07

Macros the Black wrote:The H4 Haven creatures all look gay. I wonder if it's the color. The fake plastic 3D looks horrible too. Back in the day when 3D was new I prefered good old sprites. Took a long while imho for 3D to catch up to 2D when it comes to drawing styles. This is why I hate pretty much all H4 creatures when it comes to looks - but the Haven creatures seem especially uninspired,
- Seconded.

Deni
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Deni » 11 Apr 2009, 12:10

voted h4 squire

Return to “Heroes I-IV”