Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cleglaw » 01 Oct 2005, 15:45

looks nice enough :)

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 01 Oct 2005, 17:22

No question for me - the unicorn is beautiful :) (But I hope, differently from others here, that the golden tattoed unicorn will be in. I loved that one on first sight! :) )

What i don't like here is, how the trees, especially the ones on the left side (beyond the water), come out of the grass... looks very unnatural to me. Furthermore, the grass in the foreground looks just flat. Of course you can't render every leaf and for the grass it's no really big problem, but these blue and purple flowers look kind of stupid from this near.

The water is beautiful. :) The waterside edge as well.

The trees are okay for me, but I still hope there will be higher polygon models for those who have a graphics board to manage this data load. (Have a look at the Necro town... The rocks on the bottom are ugly. Pure polygons!)

Notice: The unicorn's back hoof intersects with the ground! They could do that better ;)

And can you also see the Sylvan hero's movement trail? Seems like will-o-wisp-y sparkles in the air :)
What the #$*! do we know?

Blueman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blueman » 01 Oct 2005, 20:11

I still hope the video requirements will be low enough to run on my computer also...(128MB seems a little bit too much) Otherwise, I find all screens and info quite good. If the gameplay will rise at the same level, I will put aside the older versions of the game and focus on this one.

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 01 Oct 2005, 21:18

I won't mind small clipping problems (like the unicorn hoofs)... yep, it could be reworked, but might need a more powerful engine...

It is true trees don't meld completely well with the ground... I guess as mapmakers we should make sure we put grass around also. It's a diffcult problem... as you can't make "roots" because they won't fit all terrain slopes. (also clipping problems)

Had to go back to the screenshots page to see the poligonal rocks in necro town. It is true, they are there. I guess I can mind that (they are in the edge, so you won't notice them easily)... still, it might be nice to have them a bit more rounded.

BTW, It's just me, or it looks like the Sylvan pics are made running lower graphic settings. I see much more stair-borders (less AA) and a bit lower quality than in the other pics. Still nice, tough.
Don't be fooled by the title -- Dragons can disguise as peasants, too

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 01 Oct 2005, 22:43

Not only is the unicorn not pretty, it is the ugliest unicorn I've ever seen. Frankly, it just looks like typical 3D - that is collision, collision, collision. Trees, rocks, unicorn, etc. look like some child toys which have been put down in a sandbox. "When will they ever learn...", the best 3D doesn't begin to compare to even mediocre 2D. I have seen nothing graphically so far that tempt's me in the least to buy Heroes V. Not only doesn't 3D buy anything esthetically, but it makes the hardware requirements insane - I'm sure as hell not upgrading for Heros V.

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 02 Oct 2005, 05:44

@ ToweringAmishPlumber: Keep in mind that these screenshots are all zoomed in quite a bit. Once the camera is zoomed out to the "normal" play setting, it will all look just fine. As for 2D being better...well, you remember H4 don't you?

MT Silver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MT Silver » 02 Oct 2005, 07:39

Amazing that no one has commented the background yet.

Very pretty. Has a certain Mordor feel to it.

I wonder if we as mapmakers set the background or if it's based on the terrain of the map?

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 02 Oct 2005, 08:26

"I wonder if we as mapmakers set the background or if it's based on the terrain of the map?"

My guess, it's a wild guess, but might work... is it would be choosen according to the last (in horizon-direction) "terrain tile" being drawn in the current screen... so If you're looking towards a volcanic zone and are near enough, you'll have the red background... if you're still so far that the zone is not drawn but the grass you're in, you will have a blue-sky background. If you're quite near and can "see" the grass on the other side of the volcanic terrain, the background sky would be also blue, but with some layers of red mist before it.

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 02 Oct 2005, 08:28

BTW, @ToweringAmishPlumber

I'll take this beautiful 3D before any 2D every day of the week... even with the clipping problems or some polygonal shapes.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 02 Oct 2005, 09:14

I really, really like the Unicorns in the game, and especially the golden tatooed one (with his marvelous Indian decorations) and hope he will look like this in the game...

As for the backgrounds. Maybe it would be good to make elements of decoration like in Heroes III, I mean not a single tree or bush but a couple of greens sticked to each other that form a bigger module. It would look realistic and it would be simplier to make a map in the editor.
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 02 Oct 2005, 09:56

@dragonn

I think they will put some kind of 'tree brush' into the map editor. Using this, you could just 'paint' the landscape with maybe randomly created trees of the same, currently selected kind.

And I'm sure the skybox will be selected and blended by taking the ground type(s) in the horizon.
What the #$*! do we know?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 02 Oct 2005, 11:35

Great graphics! The water looks awesome and the unicorn is beautiful!But ofcourse some clippings problems should be solved.

BTW: H5 dont look like freaking anime,i havent seen any wide-eyed,big headed weirdos or other anime like creatures,objects etc.

MightAndMagic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MightAndMagic » 02 Oct 2005, 12:18

Lost my words to describe this splendid image. :)

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 02 Oct 2005, 18:31

Guys, there is grass floating in the air lol

Also what's with those water splash everywhere? Are fishes so nervous in that river?

And after the punk unicorn of H4, the rasta unicorn of H5!

They should really take shots from the default view.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Mad Dog McKill
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mad Dog McKill » 03 Oct 2005, 12:32

@Orfinn "BTW: H5 dont look like freaking anime,i havent seen any wide-eyed,big headed weirdos or other anime like creatures,objects etc."

ermm.. the angel.. don't tell me that the sword (or whatever it is that the creature is holding) is not out of an anime..

So far the sylvan town's elf are exactly what you will expect in an anime - long pointy ears.. bah.. so much exagerration..

Oh and take a look at the angel.. look at his face - once again.. an anime figure in a HOMM world.. what a disgrace

And since when vampires where fighters with swords.. seriously this is bad..

To top off it all there is a middle eastern Academy.. great..

To tell you the truth, I am currently playing HOMM4 and I am very happy with what it is.. semi-3d or not.. it is FINE.

[sarcasm]All hail O Great Heroes of Anime, Might and Magic![/sarcasm]

p.s. yes yes.. I know, can't judge the became before it is... I agree, but so far the game is dissapointing graphics and artwork wise.

superpaladin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby superpaladin » 03 Oct 2005, 13:57

Wildbear said, "Guys, there is grass floating in the air lol"

I said, "where??"

Anyway, I like the unicorn. It looks better than any of the unicorns from past Heroes games, not to forget M&M games too.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 03 Oct 2005, 15:37

Behind the hero, on the rocks. I first thought it was in the water, but it begins in front of the small hill.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 04 Oct 2005, 03:28

Is anyone really going to be playing the game at this level of zooming (at least after the first few games of zooming in to see things)? I mean, we can bash the polygons and image quality etc., but surely gameplay is the most crucial element.

Besides, I actually think the images are great, If H5 was a FPS, then no, the images would be crap, but darn, this is Heroes, I am in awe of playing my favourite strategy game, in such vivid 3D quality.

Ewwwww, I can't wait!!

Return to “Screenshots”