100 Marksmen or 100 Orc Chieftains (H3)

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

100 Marksmen or 100 Orc Chieftains (H3)

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 12 Feb 2009, 22:28

If you had to start a scenario map with either 100 Marksmen or 100 Orc Chieftains, which would you choose? Damage or durability?

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 12 Feb 2009, 22:37

Marksmen, no contest. Damage is way superior to durability unless you're in a situation where you can't help but take damage, and sometimes even if you can't help but take damage.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

MagusofStars
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MagusofStars » 13 Feb 2009, 00:52

Marksmen without hesitation. At the start of a scenario, shooters open up the map and clear through neutrals. If your shooters are taking serious damage early in the scenario, you're probably not playing properly (use Slow or hide them in a corner if they're in danger). So the durability of Chiefs doesn't do much for you, so you might as well take the high damage.

The math, if I've calculated it right (no guarantees) works out thus:
100 Marksmen do 4-6 damage each, so average 500 total damage.
100 Chiefs do 2-5 damage each, so average 350 total damage, but they've got 2 more points of attack, which equates to +10% damage, so your end result is 385 damage.

That extra 115 damage is huge early game.

A better question IMO might be what would you take later in the scenario. If you have a mid-game army from a different town (so either way, you're sacrificing the "same alignment +1 Morale" bonus), but you get the choice to take 100 Marksmen or 100 Orc Chiefs from a Seer's Hut reward, who do you take? Here, Marksmen's damage is still of course useful, but the durability would come into play as well.
Go Buckeyes, Indians, Cavs and Browns!

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 13 Feb 2009, 07:46

I dont remember the stats of the creatures. Where can I find them?
Marksman is probably more useful, but I can show you a lot of situations where you will feel bad about choosing them. Without more information, this question can't be answered.

If the question is: which one would I pick blindly, without knowing anything about the map: I'd pick the chieftains. They seem like a safer choice to me.

Kilfire
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kilfire » 13 Feb 2009, 09:59

Definitely the Marksmen - unless your first task on the map is to assault a castle, or to take on something that would get first strike (Grand Elves, pair of Titans, horde of Dragonflies)

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Feb 2009, 14:31

Stats are available on the main CH site (Castle and Stronghold). The Marksmen will deal more damage, but the Orc Chieftains have double the HP. I guess it depends on what you need to do with them.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 13 Feb 2009, 15:42

Marksmen, they just take down to much enemies :hoo:
However, everything depends of the situation, of course

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 13 Feb 2009, 23:23

100 marksmen of course. They shoot twice. Let them battle each other, the Orcs won't get near without losing much...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 14 Feb 2009, 10:22

Well orcs have the statistical win 1v1, but it's completely irrelevant.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Feb 2009, 02:01

Just put them in battle. No battle begins face to face. The Orcs need to walk. Meanwhile, they get shot and they die...

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Feb 2009, 03:32

Why would the Orcs want to walk when they can shoot too?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Feb 2009, 08:57

Maybe he meant walk faster, like being able to start the shooting first?
If so, that's an everlasting question for Sir Mullich :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Feb 2009, 22:55

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Why would the Orcs want to walk when they can shoot too?
Allright, but the Marksman shoot twice, so they can potentialy have double damage...

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 16 Feb 2009, 12:25

I consider this a very tricky question. The Marksmen do quite nice damage but they can't take damage. The Orc Chieftains are quite mediocre unit with no superb shooting skill/stats. I guess their real power is their durability.
With this said, I'd take the Marksmen with me 66% of the time. But (yes, there's always a "but") if magic is involved the situation will look quite different. Well, this dilemma is a nice puzzle to solve, anyway.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 16 Feb 2009, 12:52

UndeadHalfOrc usually makes these threads when he's designing a new map. Given that people have mostly been choosing Marksmen, I think he should go with 100 Orc Chieftains just to make everyone's life difficult. :tongue:
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Corbon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Corbon » 24 Feb 2009, 22:04

Orc Chieftains aren't really durable. Piss poor defense and average HP for a Lv 3. On top of that, they're slow. For a shooter, damage is by far the most valuable stat but the difference between Marksmen and Chiefs is fairly small, 8 Atk and 3.5 damage vs. 6 Atk and 5 damage.

I'd pick Marksmen if most targets are melee units and Chieftains if the targets are shooters.

maygwan
Scout
Scout

Unread postby maygwan » 09 Mar 2009, 09:05

it really depends on the scenario and hero ect.
orc chieftans would defnately help sieging a castle where as the marksmen would be a choice factor in ground combat vs another hero.
likewise if your opponent as expert tactics then orcs would be better but if you had expert archery then marksmen may be the choice.

having said that i think marksman would be my first choice, well sharpshooters would be but there irrelevant in this thread lol.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 05 May 2009, 13:25

What kind of hero is leading them?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”