MM6 help Transfering Savegames

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6 help Transfering Savegames

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 04 Feb 2009, 04:03

Hi,
I started replaying MM6 on my XP computer
just recently I have got a new vista laptop and I installed mm6 on it and it worked fine. but i wish to be able to load the saved game from my old computer so I don't have to go through all the starting quests again.

I went into the mm6 folder and put the saved games onto my pendrive and put it in the vista laptop. when I look in the mm6 folder on the laptop it does not show a save games folder like the xp one did so i don't know where to put it.

I already had 2 mm6 save games on the laptop but they don't show up.

Can someone please tell me how or if it is even possible to do this.

Thanx :)

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Re: MM6 help Transfering Savegames

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 04 Feb 2009, 06:13

Wilbur Humphery II wrote:Hi,
I started replaying MM6 on my XP computer
just recently I have got a new vista laptop and I installed mm6 on it and it worked fine. but i wish to be able to load the saved game from my old computer so I don't have to go through all the starting quests again.

I went into the mm6 folder and put the saved games onto my pendrive and put it in the vista laptop. when I look in the mm6 folder on the laptop it does not show a save games folder like the xp one did so i don't know where to put it.

I already had 2 mm6 save games on the laptop but they don't show up.

Can someone please tell me how or if it is even possible to do this.

Thanx :)
I think you should just copy full folder of savegame from your last computer. Paste it on the folder of new MM6. You will be fine. Some games do not create save folder until they are played.

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 05 Feb 2009, 04:42

I have already made a savegame on the vista computer but they do not show up so idon't know where to put the knew ones. :)

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 05 Feb 2009, 09:36

Try to peruse "My documents" folder. Maybe Vista redirects saved games there?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Feb 2009, 11:41

Wilbur Humphery II wrote:I have already made a savegame on the vista computer but they do not show up so idon't know where to put the knew ones. :)
IIRC you have first create new game and save it, then copy old savegames and you should see them.

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 06 Feb 2009, 00:59

thanx for all the suggestions. I will try them and get back.

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 06 Feb 2009, 02:12

ok, i realise something now.

the save games from the xp computer aren't called what i named them, they are called autosave, 001 and 002. so this cauld explain why it wasn't working, but now i don't know where to find them within the xp computer.

when i look in the mm6 folder in program files i see
Anims
data
Saves
Sounds
GAMEUP
MM6
and a few other random files

am I looking in the wrong place?

thanx for all your posts

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 06 Feb 2009, 03:10

All save files should be in the Saves folder. IIRC, a new Saves folder is created once a new party is created. Just copy the files from the Saves folder onto your new machine, and you should be good to go. Let us know if you still have problems. Your hopefully helpful Minotaur.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 06 Feb 2009, 03:57

DaveO wrote:All save files should be in the Saves folder. IIRC, a new Saves folder is created once a new party is created. Just copy the files from the Saves folder onto your new machine, and you should be good to go. Let us know if you still have problems. Your hopefully helpful Minotaur.
Thanx for your reply,
i have started a new game a few times but i don't know where i can find the folder with the saves and then where on the new computer should i put them.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 06 Feb 2009, 06:55

the files called save000 and save001 and etc are your saved games, so don't let their names confuse you :).

The Saves map should be just in your "Might and Magic VI" map. So just go to your MM6 map, and instead of copying the individual save files just copy the whole "Saves" map.

warning: read my whole post before following the next instructions

Then go to your vista laptop, and go to it's map named Might and Magic VI. Open that map, and right-click on empty space (so you don't select something) and choose paste. Regardless of wether or not the map is shown, it should be there so just pasting the other one over it should, theoretically, work.

Now, there's one problem about Might and Magic's way of saving files, and you've already noticed it. Namely it saves as "save001" etc instead of by the file name.

When you go to the load game screen in-game you can see the list of save-games by their names. The highest save game (excluding the autosaves) is what is in windows called "save001". The one below it is "save002", etc.

So pasting the files from your XP computer onto the Vista computer will overwrite the save games on the Vista computer (because they have the same names even though their not the same files).

If you don't mind losing your newer save files, then go ahead and do what I said earlier. Otherwise, do the following..

First, very important: backup both save folders.. Since you can't find the one on the new machine, just backup the whole game their.. It shouldn't be any bigger than 500 MB.

Then it gets a little tricky.
If your new saved games (on the vista machine) are for instance up to "save009" and there are no higher numbers, then just name the ones from the XP machine "save010" and onward, where "save001" becomes "save010" etc. Then, if you copy and paste the XP files on the Vista computer the save games won't be overriden and you'll have both.

You could also do it the other way around (changing the vista file names instead of the xp file names). It depends in which order you'd like the save games to show up in-game.

Keep in mind though, that the autosaves will still be overridden so choose which you wish to keep.

I hope I wasn't too explainy here, but better to have one really long explanation than having to wait for a reply for 5 times ;)

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 06 Feb 2009, 20:21

Macros the Black wrote:the files called save000 and save001 and etc are your saved games, so don't let their names confuse you :).

The Saves map should be just in your "Might and Magic VI" map. So just go to your MM6 map, and instead of copying the individual save files just copy the whole "Saves" map.

warning: read my whole post before following the next instructions

Then go to your vista laptop, and go to it's map named Might and Magic VI. Open that map, and right-click on empty space (so you don't select something) and choose paste. Regardless of wether or not the map is shown, it should be there so just pasting the other one over it should, theoretically, work.

Now, there's one problem about Might and Magic's way of saving files, and you've already noticed it. Namely it saves as "save001" etc instead of by the file name.

When you go to the load game screen in-game you can see the list of save-games by their names. The highest save game (excluding the autosaves) is what is in windows called "save001". The one below it is "save002", etc.

So pasting the files from your XP computer onto the Vista computer will overwrite the save games on the Vista computer (because they have the same names even though their not the same files).

If you don't mind losing your newer save files, then go ahead and do what I said earlier. Otherwise, do the following..

First, very important: backup both save folders.. Since you can't find the one on the new machine, just backup the whole game their.. It shouldn't be any bigger than 500 MB.

Then it gets a little tricky.
If your new saved games (on the vista machine) are for instance up to "save009" and there are no higher numbers, then just name the ones from the XP machine "save010" and onward, where "save001" becomes "save010" etc. Then, if you copy and paste the XP files on the Vista computer the save games won't be overriden and you'll have both.

You could also do it the other way around (changing the vista file names instead of the xp file names). It depends in which order you'd like the save games to show up in-game.

Keep in mind though, that the autosaves will still be overridden so choose which you wish to keep.

I hope I wasn't too explainy here, but better to have one really long explanation than having to wait for a reply for 5 times ;)
Thanx for your reply
heres what i did:
i pasted the saves folder into the mm6 folder
i started mm6, went to the load screen and my old saves were still there!
have i missed something, or maybe vista won't allow me to do it?
But thanks anyway its was good to get such a detailed responsed.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 07 Feb 2009, 02:19

Wilbur Humphrey,

I can't help but comment on your screen name.

Yours is the first screen name I've seen that gives a shoutout to Katherine Kurtz fans.

Why the choice of such a villainous name? Bishop Humphrey is kind of a symbol of all the worst of Christian faith, a reference to the Inquisition, and arguably the catalyst of the extinction of the Deryni.

I think I'd choose something more positive, like maybe CamberCuldi, or JohnRhysHealer, or ElayneCuldiRhys, or KelsonRex, or something like that.

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 07 Feb 2009, 03:29

BMJedi wrote:Wilbur Humphrey,

I can't help but comment on your screen name.

Yours is the first screen name I've seen that gives a shoutout to Katherine Kurtz fans.

Why the choice of such a villainous name? Bishop Humphrey is kind of a symbol of all the worst of Christian faith, a reference to the Inquisition, and arguably the catalyst of the extinction of the Deryni.

I think I'd choose something more positive, like maybe CamberCuldi, or JohnRhysHealer, or ElayneCuldiRhys, or KelsonRex, or something like that.
hmm... i was unaware of this
I was merely refering to my favourite character of might and magic, wilbur humphrey the foremost paladin of enroth.
i did not know of this other meaning
no offense was intended :)

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 07 Feb 2009, 11:06

I would not even think of anyone other Wilbur Humphrey from MM6.

..might want to keep your mind in the Might & Magic world..

That's like me thinking that "BM" Jedi stand for "bowel movement".
..I hope it's not..

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 09 Feb 2009, 15:22

Run MM6 as administrator (right click > Run as Administrator). Because of the way Vista is set up, to change program files you need admin privileges, so when a program without admin privileges tries to write to a program file, Vista redirects it to a hidden folder in you documents (I don't know it right off, but I could find it if you want).
Your perception determines your experience.

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wilbur Humphery II » 10 Feb 2009, 03:46

DarthVadre wrote:Run MM6 as administrator (right click > Run as Administrator). Because of the way Vista is set up, to change program files you need admin privileges, so when a program without admin privileges tries to write to a program file, Vista redirects it to a hidden folder in you documents (I don't know it right off, but I could find it if you want).
It Worked! thanx i now don't have to play through the beginning areas again.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 10 Feb 2009, 10:05

DarthVadre wrote:Run MM6 as administrator (right click > Run as Administrator). Because of the way Vista is set up, to change program files you need admin privileges, so when a program without admin privileges tries to write to a program file, Vista redirects it to a hidden folder in you documents (I don't know it right off, but I could find it if you want).
Working with a computer is so much easier without the whole user stuff ;|

Return to “Might and Magic”