Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Runes of Magic

Unread postby Asheera » 24 Jan 2009, 23:02

http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/index.html

Anyone heard about this MMORPG? It just popped at the HC's advertise at the top and drew my attention. :P

Apparently it's in BETA stage now, and most importantly completely free from any monthly fees (and free to download as well)

Unfortunately I am extremely busy these days so I can't give it a try, but maybe I thought some people here would be interested (maybe). I would also appreciate some feedback if you give it a try, to know more about it when I'll be able to play it.

Check out the videos, I like the music from some of them. :)

Sure it doesn't look as good as Warhammer Online but at least it's free... I can't even believe someone put that whole work for no financial gain, respect to the makers.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 01 Feb 2009, 23:49

Ok I finally decided to give it a try myself since I'm not that busy anymore. The patching took an awful lot. 8|

Just played for a few minutes tonight, and explored the character creation a bit - not bad actually, I never played any MMORPG before (so I may be wrong) but I have never seen a game where you can adjust various body parts sizes a bit (and your height) like in this one.

The interface seems complicated, but then that's what I feel about any new game I play. :D

If you're bored and don't know what to do, just give this one a try, you have nothing to lose since it's completely free. Except from time, of course, but that's good if you're bored. Oh and btw, not only it is 3 GB to download (the game client) but as I said the initial patching takes a lot, so be prepared to lose a few hours when installing it.

Oh and I suggest a defragmentation on the partition you install it after patching, it injects the paks a lot resulting in a high fragmentation procent after.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Feb 2009, 10:12

MMO's = da boredom
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Feb 2009, 10:45

Heck, I'll give it a try. Havent got anything on my hands, so why not :). It looks pretty good now...

@TT: Strange words from somebody who bought WoW...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Feb 2009, 19:49

I'm in the EN server Siochain (or something like that), if anybody cares :P

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Feb 2009, 20:06

Seems everybody goes to this server.

Anyway I try this game too. Only 24 h of downloading...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Feb 2009, 20:17

24 h? Hmm, you must have a slow connection. I downloaded with 400+ KB/sec and it took me around three. Of course I also found that Romanian server to download from. ;)

The patching took me around an hour or so, not only the downloading but the install is also slow because it injects the paks instead of the typical "create a new pak which replaces files from the old one". Well it is slower but then it has the advantage of being smaller after complete patching since there are no duplicate files. Also, this fragments those files a lot (when injecting), I suggest a defragment after patching. :)

I don't know why this game reminds me of Spellforce 2 a little... probably because the characters have the same 'style' :D

Oh and btw, I don't know if my character is overpowered or not but after completing some basic quests you get around 20 potions... the thing is, I used very little of those things and have around 170 now :P

btw, I like the Main Theme music :)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Feb 2009, 22:14

Asheera wrote:24 h? Hmm, you must have a slow connection.
Yes but it's enough for me - Flash Get is very good programm in that cause.
BTW - only 9 h (double dl speed between 23.00 and 11.00).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2009, 12:05

darknessfood wrote: @TT: Strange words from somebody who bought WoW...
still haven't played it... but it was cheap and i want to see what all the hub-ub is about
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 21:09

Bah, there are certain things and features that cost/use diamonds... and the worst thing, is that these diamonds can be bought only with real money.

Greedy bastards, and I thought it was free (well it is, but some features require money, as I said)

My enthusiasm for this game dropped considerably after finding this out.

Why there can't be a MMO free in this world (or at least to cost only once when you buy it, and no extra-features with money)? Good thing that at least this site doesn't require a monthly fee or money for extra features...

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 03 Feb 2009, 21:17

Asheera wrote:Why there can't be a MMO free in this world.
I'm pretty sure, if the players volunteered to maintain the servers, you would see it free :tongue:
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 21:21

But there are many things which are free and require server maintenance, like this site, HC, and even NationStates 1 (which, unlike 2, is completely free)

Bah, cruel world we live in. :disagree:

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 04 Feb 2009, 00:53

You can't seriously compare a site with a MMO?
Besides, advertising helps, even if indirectly (the server provider usually ofc).
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Feb 2009, 10:35

Asheera wrote:(or at least to cost only once when you buy it, and no extra-features with money)?
Eh... never heard of Guild Wars?! Sure, some extra stuff costs money, but nothing that affects gameplay...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 04 Feb 2009, 13:40

Really? What kind of extra features then?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Feb 2009, 17:04

Extra character slots (i think you only get 3 at the start), and expansions that add new classes (but if you have 1 exp you get the orig classes + the ones in that exp)... and as i recall that's kinda it.

It was in level a while back... that's how i bought it.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 04 Feb 2009, 18:10

Yeah, you can buy extra character slots, or bonus missions (with adidtional items) but all are optional. With every expansion you buy, yu get 2 extra character slots...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 05 Feb 2009, 13:55

Hmm, I think my character is really overpowered with my deadly combo lol

I cleared a cave with two other people (me being Level 13), and a Warrior Level 14 was killing stuff at least twice as hard as me. And he seemed to not be a lot better at defense than me either (maybe even worse)

I have two activated abilities that apply some wounding effects on the target, and then there is this third activated ability which deals triple damage if the target is wounded by both effects (double damage if only one effect is present). This is my awesome and deadly combo :D

Still sucks that I can't get a house and color my equipment because of diamonds which can be gained only by paying real money. :(

There was also this funny sight when I've seen someone who was one level higher than me running from two Boars (and boars are pretty weak for that level). Well I've seen his Health Bar and it was pretty low so I could understand why he was fleeing from the boars, but I don't know how he got into that situation. Anyway, since he was coming my way, I decided to save him and I killed the boars. :D

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 07 Feb 2009, 08:43

Asheera wrote:I don't know why this game reminds me of Spellforce 2 a little... probably because the characters have the same 'style' :D
Maybe because Spellforce was also German game? :p
And I heard music form other German game - The Guild 2.
Still sucks that I can't get a house wrote:Still sucks that I can't get a house
House is for free (need only talk with housemaiden) and you can buy equipment for it in next city (Varsomething) for game money, not needs diamonds.

Oh and mages are like arcane archers - at least at ~20 level. One or two shots and enemy is down - warrior need several hits to do the same thing.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 07 Feb 2009, 13:28

Avonu wrote:House is for free (need only talk with housemaiden) and you can buy equipment for it in next city (Varsomething) for game money, not needs diamonds.
Yes you're right but I can't expand the space without diamonds, and now it's so small...

Also that Arcane Transmuter requires diamonds as well? I think yes and that's very unfortunate, because it seems very interesting to improve your equipment however you like with all those magic stone combinations and such...

And btw I've found two songs from Spellforce 2 in the data files. :D

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”